Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: DPMS - Common Problems?

Initially I thought it might be the Wolf. Everyone said, oh yeah, you have to shoot brass. The polymer, and laquer case stuff sticks in the chamber when it gets hot and it won't extract. Etc.

I contemplated selling the gun. I shoot as much as possible so if I can't run cheap ammo through it I can't afford to shoot it. Period.

My buddies unclean - filthy dirty whore of a Bushmaster eats anything and everything he throws at it. So I held out hope. Then after a fairly rapid string I saw puffs coming from the the gas block. Residue on the barrel. Tightened it up and its been fine since then.

(Chester County)

(Allegheny County)

Had I read all that I would have never pulled the trigger. And probably not had an AR at all. Being purchased on election day... things went downhill fast from there as far as availability and price.

I probably would have looked for a FAL instead.

Well, to be honest, its disheartening at best. But I guess what I'll do is break it. Then fix what breaks until it stops breaking. Its like pounding your head through the wall instead of just against it.

Mine does not appear to have some of the "typical" DPMS problems though. The bits about the chamber not being 5.56 really concern me. I guess they shouldn't because I don't really buy brass. But I was planning on getting a hold of some. Probably not the best idea if I like my face.

Eh, I'll run with it. If it breaks, it seems most of the problems can be rectified with the purchase of an upper.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    Had I read all that I would have never pulled the trigger. And probably not had an AR at all. Being purchased on election day... things went downhill fast from there as far as availability and price.

I probably would have looked for a FAL instead.

Well, to be honest, its disheartening at best. But I guess what I'll do is break it. Then fix what breaks until it stops breaking. Its like pounding your head through the wall instead of just against it.

Mine does not appear to have some of the "typical" DPMS problems though. The bits about the chamber not being 5.56 really concern me. I guess they shouldn't because I don't really buy brass. But I was planning on getting a hold of some. Probably not the best idea if I like my face.

Eh, I'll run with it. If it breaks, it seems most of the problems can be rectified with the purchase of an upper.
    The first thread I linked has a list of little upgrades you can quickly perform. Extractor and buffer upgrades are a start.

(Allegheny County)

The extractor, I want the O-ring to be black.

And the buffer, I want to buy a heavy buffer? How do I know if I need that? I saw it mentioned that most of the carbines were over gassed. I don't know how to tell if it is or not.

(Philadelphia County)

The small black piece inside the spring is what should be black. The Oring is an upgrade that helps if you have extraction problems. It is not a bad upgrade though even if you are not having problems with extraction. An Hbuffer really isn't needed unless you are having problems with it bottoming out in the extension or not extracting properly. If you get the reciprocating mass too high it can cause the rifle to short stroke.
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting

(Chester County)

And the buffer, I want to buy a heavy buffer? How do I know if I need that? I saw it mentioned that most of the carbines were over gassed. I don't know how to tell if it is or not.
    You want a black insert, and a o-ring or "d-fender".

If you already have an H-buffer, it will say it on the face of the buffer. If it says nothing, you don't have an H-Buffer.

The standard carbine length gas system puts A LOT more pressure in the gun than rifle or mid-length systems. A carbine gas system on a 16" barrel has 9" of bbl past the port (pressure builds up as bullet travels 9")... the action will cycle reliably with the same gas length, on a 10.5" barrel (3.5" of bbl for the pressure to build).

In addition to this, most DPMS gas ports are bigger than mil-spec ports...so you are getting even more gas into the system than with a Colt M4 or the like.

So yes, your DPMS is overgassed....and so is just about every carbine out there. The midlength gas systems are great, and so are piston guns. If you're going to use a carbine length gas system, you should try and reverse as much of the over-gassing as you can...and if for some strange reason the gun starts to short stroke...then you can lighten up the carrier/buffer some.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Legion_Prime View Post
    The small black piece inside the spring is what should be black. The Oring is an upgrade that helps if you have extraction problems. It is not a bad upgrade though even if you are not having problems with extraction. An Hbuffer really isn't needed unless you are having problems with it bottoming out in the extension or not extracting properly. If you get the reciprocating mass too high it can cause the rifle to short stroke.
    Which is the problem I think I WAS having. As it was not stripping the next round. It extracts like a champ. Whipping casings far enough from me I couldn't collect them if I wanted to. I get crinkly twong noises from the buffer tube area. But I assume that's par for the course with the plastic-eske space gun the AR is. But I think those were gas escaping related.

I'm not feeling any kind of harsh hits. I know what those feel like in the AK when the BCG slams into the rear trunion and "echos" down the stock into your face. It makes you buy a buffer for it so you can shoot more than 40 rounds in a day without your face feeling like it got hit by Mike Tyson. I had a couple boxes of ammo come in a case that were way higher powered than the rest. You could hear it clang off the rear trunion... and after shooting 60 or so of them. My cheekbone was tenderized for about 2 days.

I don't know if its the same? Or?

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by synergy View Post
    You want a black insert, and a o-ring or "d-fender".

If you already have an H-buffer, it will say it on the face of the buffer. If it says nothing, you don't have an H-Buffer.

The standard carbine length gas system puts A LOT more pressure in the gun than rifle or mid-length systems. A carbine gas system on a 16" barrel has 9" of bbl past the port (pressure builds up as bullet travels 9")... the action will cycle reliably with the same gas length, on a 10.5" barrel (3.5" of bbl for the pressure to build).

In addition to this, most DPMS gas ports are bigger than mil-spec ports...so you are getting even more gas into the system than with a Colt M4 or the like.

So yes, your DPMS is overgassed....and so is just about every carbine out there. The midlength gas systems are great, and so are piston guns. If you're going to use a carbine length gas system, you should try and reverse as much of the over-gassing as you can...and if for some strange reason the gun starts to short stroke...then you can lighten up the carrier/buffer some.
    Yeah, what he said. Basically don't start with an H3 buffer. What I meant by SRB is a side release or Fastex buckle. it will provide a quick release in case your rifle gets caught on something you can quickly release it. You might also want to check out the DD endplates, the Burnsed Loops are supposed to be of exceptional quality.
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting

(Montgomery County)

Here is a link to an extractor kit. It will show what we are talking about.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-E...%20upgrade.htm

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast