Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lost paperwork

(Washington County)

Default lost paperwork

from when i purchased my gun. i thought it was in my safe and its apperently not, unless i missed it. i was interested in selling/trading my handgun but now i can't even prove that i own it.

so i need this to sell or trade? or can they sort of look up the serial number? how can i get the new papers?

thanks and sorry if this has been posted, i searched and didn't find anything.

(Franklin County)

Default Re: lost paperwork

No need to prove ownership, and you don't need these papers for a future sale.

I shred mine.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Lehigh County)

Only reason I keep receipts is because a local shop has a "buy five guns, get the sixth one at wholesale" policy.
    Any mission, any conditions, any foe at any range.
    Twice the mayhem, triple the force.
    Ten times the action, total hardcore.

(Monroe County)

No worries, just go speed past a state trooper, and when he pulls you over, inform him you have a firearm. In about 15 minutes you will have "proved" ownership if you get your firearm back

Like they said, no need to keep those papers, just find a buyer, go to your local FFL and they'll square you away....

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Luzerne County)

Where does this myth come from? That you must prove ownership of GUNS you own???

Really, I'm bewildered... Guns are not contraband in Pa.and there is no "registry"....
    Nothing against the OP, I'm just thinking aloud after years of hearing these things

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    Where does this myth come from? That you must prove ownership of GUNS you own???
    Because it is repeated on a regular basis by the media and law enforcement personel.

Whether it is coming from ill-informed media or directly out of the mouth of a DA or LEO, how often do we hear phrases in the media like:

"The gun used was registered to..."

?
    We the people have not only the right but the responsibility to hang tyrants for treason.

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post

Really, I'm bewildered... Guns are not contraband in Pa.and there is no "registry"....
    Nothing against the OP, I'm just thinking aloud after years of hearing these things
    It may come from "return of property" hearings, where you ask the court to make the police give you your seized gun back. The initial burden on you is to prove that you own the gun, then the burden shifts to the police to come up with a reason not to give it back, something better than "cuz we don't wanna".

You can meet that initial burden a couple of ways, but the easiest and most persuasive is to produce a receipt. Otherwise, you have your naked, unsupported testimony (I always advise my clients to wear clothing during any judicial proceeding), and sometimes the fact that you had physical possession when it was seized. If the cops feel helpful, they might produce a printout from the PSP "database that isn't a registry", but if they felt helpful then they'd return your gun, wouldn't they?

(Washington County)

i new registration was not needed, but wasn't sure about that paperwork. i thought it was kind of like the title to a car. not registered with just the title, but you still need it ya know.

anyway, thanks for all your help guys.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    It may come from "return of property" hearings, where you ask the court to make the police give you your seized gun back. The initial burden on you is to prove that you own the gun, then the burden shifts to the police to come up with a reason not to give it back, something better than "cuz we don't wanna".

You can meet that initial burden a couple of ways, but the easiest and most persuasive is to produce a receipt. Otherwise, you have your naked, unsupported testimony (I always advise my clients to wear clothing during any judicial proceeding), and sometimes the fact that you had physical possession when it was seized. If the cops feel helpful, they might produce a printout from the PSP "database that isn't a registry", but if they felt helpful then they'd return your gun, wouldn't they?
    That is why you insist on a receipt if the police seize your fire arm. The fire arm was removed from your possession, you have a receipt that says so.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    No need to prove ownership, and you don't need these papers for a future sale.I shred mine.
    Greg, I understand where you're coming from... but this seems a little strange to me. Even if there is no "need" to prove ownership, and the papers are not needed for a future sale, it still seems like a good idea to keep the paperwork (which I do) for your own records at least.

To each his own...I guess

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast