Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default 1911 Grip Safety Issue

If it matters, it's a Stainless, Kimber Pro Carry II and I put a Smith & Alexander mag well in it; I've done this before with no problems.

For some reason the first time I assembled it, the hammer didn't stay cocked so I disassembled and started over. I got the hammer to work fine, everything seemed OK then I checked the grip safety and the hammer will drop with the safety depressed or not (not good). What went wrong and how do I fix it?
    Last edited by wboggs; December 4th, 2008 at 05:10 PM.

Default Re: 1911 Grip Safety Issue

Quote Originally Posted by wboggs View Post
    If it matters, it's a Stainless, Kimber Pro Carry II and I put a Smith & Alexander mag well in it; I've done this before with no problems.

For some reason the first time I assembled it, the hammer didn't stay cocked so I disassembled and started over. I got the hammer to work fine, everything seemed OK then I checked the grip safety and the hammer will drop with the safety depressed or not (not good). What went wrong and how do I fix it?
    I think I know what your problem might be, I has the same issue with a CDP II, I needed to mate the surfaces where the MSH and the tabs on the safety meet.

Some light filing on the grip safety where it meets the MSH was easier for me than filing the MSH as the safety is softer metal then the MSH.

What's happening is that the MSH of the mag well is forcing the grip safety to be deactivated.

ETA*
    This is also bad because it might actuate the lifter in the Swartz safety when it is not supposed to be actuated, like when putting the gun back together.

OR

You put it back together incorrectly.
    Last edited by jdlv4_0; December 4th, 2008 at 05:52 PM.
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by jdlv4_0 View Post
    I think I know what your problem might be, I has the same issue with a CDP I needed to mate the surfaces where the MSH and the tabs on the safety meet.

Some light filing on the grip safety where it meets the MSH was easier for me than filing the MSH as the safety is softer metal then the MSH.

What's happening is that the MSH of the mag well is forcing the grip safety to be deactivated.

ETA*
    This is also bad because it might actuate the lifter in the Swartz safety when it is not supposed to be actuated, like when putting the gun back together.
    Ohhhh I get it; and this time, unlike the successful times, I didn't buy a Kimber mag well. That could be it.

Ohhhh I get it; and this time, unlike the successful times, I didn't buy a Kimber mag well. That could be it.
    I went back and edited my post, there's on more option that I forgot to list that is more common.

(Allegheny County)

OK so being that this is a carry weapon, I'm wise to have a gun smith fit this properly I assume. I really dont want a .45 bullet ripping my belly and leg open. Right?

(Lawrence County)

OK so being that this is a carry weapon, I'm wise to have a gun smith fit this properly I assume. I really dont want a .45 bullet ripping my belly and leg open. Right?
    That's up to you, but it's not a hard fix as outlined above.

Lycanfileherthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Allegheny County)

My personality being as determined as it is, I fitted it and it works fine; I just cant let a project sit. Thanks a bunch guys.

My personality being as determined as it is, I fitted it and it works fine; I just cant let a project sit. Thanks a bunch guys.
    That's what we're here for, glad you got it working right.

(Allegheny County)

Yea I got the Dremel Tool out and ground the new spring housing since I havent even shot the gun yet, I didn't want to be altering any original parts. It worked out fine.

Bringing this thread back, as I purchased my first 1911 based gun and I'm having the same problems.

I know I should just bring it to a smith, but I really don't have access to one and once I understand something I'm usually fairly competent.

What is the MSH that is being referred to (main spring housing) or something else? I broke it down to a certain extent and cannot see anything that's obvious. It was a comp gun and does have an Wilson Trigger put in it. If it was done in-correctly I really do not know, or if there's something that was deliberately done what could I look for? I see references that most that have had the grip safety disabled have pinned it and what not, mine seems functional in all aspects other than it will not block the trigger from firing.

Thank you
    Last edited by cal74; February 21st, 2010 at 01:49 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast