Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Default NFL Guns and Weapons Policy

After reading an article in my local newspaper concerning the NFL's gun policy for players, I thought I would seek the policy out and read it for myself. I guess the NFL subjects it's employees, including players, to some of the BS policies that a lot of us have to put up with at our places of employment. The following is most of the policy taken from ESPN.

Guns and Weapons Policy
    This policy applies to all employees of the NFL and its member clubs, including players.

Prohibitions. Whether possessed legally or illegally, guns and other weapons of any kind are dangerous. You and your family can easily be the losers if you carry or keep these items in your home. You must not possess these weapons while traveling on League-related business or whenever you are on the premises of the following:

• A facility owned, operated or being used by an NFL club (for example, training camp, dormitory, locker room, workout site, parking area, team bus, team plane, team hotel/motel);

• A stadium or any other venue being used for an NFL event (for example, a game, practice or promotion);

• A facility owned or operated by the NFL or any League company.

Put simply, the League, the Players Association and law enforcement authorities urge you to recognize that you must not possess a gun or other weapon at any time you are performing any service for your team or the NFL.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3378990

This is the article in the Greensburg Tribune Review that prompted me to look at the NFL policy. The columnist smacks of being a little anti-gun himself.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_601340.html

(Monroe County)

Default Re: NFL Guns and Weapons Policy

I've heard about this before. I don't know if it's just a covering of their own ass or if they are attempting to already have this in plae when a situation arises given the many athletes who get caught with illegal guns. Of course it could just be a hatred for the second ammendment.

Given the Plaxico situation I have heard many anti-gun comments from announcers and commentators such as Mike Ditka who believes if you play for the NFL your second ammendment should be violated at all times not just when you are on NFL property. It's pretty disgusting. On the positive side their are many people speaking out about the need for a gun for protection such as Tiki Barber who is not a thug carrying an illegal gun but rather an upstanding citizen.