Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lehigh County)

Default 🤗PA Game Commission upgrading gun ranges

🤔let's see if they do rifle.gif

While one is newly upgraded in Carbon County. Another range in neighboring Monroe County is next on the list.

NESQUEHONING, Pa. — Across the state, the Game Commission is working on upgrading shooting ranges.

Avid marksman Bert Payne of Penn Forest Township has been waiting for the gun range on state game lands in Nesquehoning to reopen. The Pennsylvania Game Commission closed it back in February for renovations.

"I saw that the range was closed on Google, and I thought, man, that really isn't great because I've been looking forward to enjoying this good weather," said Payne.

Bob Drennan of Brodheadsville came out to do the same.

"I come out here for the 200-yard range and the 300-yard, getting some practice. I'm shooting in a competition with the Navy here in a few weeks and to see the new improvements they've done after many, many decades," said Drennan.

The Game Commission says many of the improvements were for safety and maintenance. They've added new target stands, made the shooting stations accessible for those with disabilities, and added new pavilion covers.

https://www.wnep.com/article/news/lo...5-5aef7dcb91ef

(Elk County)

Default Re: 🤗PA Game Commission upgrading gun ranges

And once the upgrades are completed, the ranges will remain closed, because PAGC being PAGC.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Warren County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    And once the upgrades are completed, the ranges will remain closed, because PAGC being PAGC.

Noah
    .GOV gotta Govern.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Washington County)

I'm surprised they haven't tried to idiot proof them (which is impossible).

I went to a public range in Kentucky one time. The range was set up so that the entire shooting area was behind a wall, and to shoot a target you had to shoot from a bench and aim down a long pipe. You could only really aim at the target hanger and nothing else. And no rounds could be sent over the backstop and leave the range by shooting through this pipe. The sound was annoying. But I bet they thought they had idiot proofed it. I'm sure someone proved them wrong.

I found some pictures online:

In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

Quote Originally Posted by JoshIronshaft View Post
    I'm surprised they haven't tried to idiot proof them (which is impossible).

I went to a public range in Kentucky one time. The range was set up so that the entire shooting area was behind a wall, and to shoot a target you had to shoot from a bench and aim down a long pipe. You could only really aim at the target hanger and nothing else. And no rounds could be sent over the backstop and leave the range by shooting through this pipe. The sound was annoying. But I bet they thought they had idiot proofed it. I'm sure someone proved them wrong.

I found some pictures online:

I've been to a handful of ranges that have gone the way of adding barricades above to limit a shooter's field of view and force them to aim down at the target rather than potentially skywards. It may not necessarily be impossible to send a round over a berm, but it probably helps. And it helps a range stay in business in an area where neighbors or the township may want them gone. Probably keeps the insurance company happy, too.

(Montgomery County)

the dumbing down of America, since there's no common sense (it seems) the insurnce companies and the politicans will help. To me it's a very sad statement that this stuff is done to try and make up for stupidty. Honestly I don't want to shoot down a pipe or through a little door what is enjoyable about that

(Lehigh County)

The rifle ranges at Topton F&G have barriers to limit the angle of elevation of rounds fired. There are holes and strike marks on them.
    NRA Life Member

(Lycoming County)

I've been to the local indoor range twice when a lane had been closed because someone shot the track in the ceiling. Not saying pipes are the solution, but that's some pretty scary shit.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post

Noah
    I don't even understand what this means.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    I've been to a handful of ranges that have gone the way of adding barricades above to limit a shooter's field of view and force them to aim down at the target rather than potentially skywards. It may not necessarily be impossible to send a round over a berm, but it probably helps. And it helps a range stay in business in an area where neighbors or the township may want them gone. Probably keeps the insurance company happy, too.
    I wouldn't like it much, either. But, I've been at PGC ranges when dipshits with WASR-10s bump fired a mag right up and over the berm. I watched the little tufts of dirt pop the whole way up to the top of the berm and probably 8-10 rounds went sailing off toward the trout-stocked waters beyond.

They wouldn't be doing it if they weren't given a reason to do it.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post
    I don't even understand what this means.

I wouldn't like it much, either. But, I've been at PGC ranges when dipshits with WASR-10s bump fired a mag right up and over the berm. I watched the little tufts of dirt pop the whole way up to the top of the berm and probably 8-10 rounds went sailing off toward the trout-stocked waters beyond.

They wouldn't be doing it if they weren't given a reason to do it.
    I'm not saying they aren't. Quite the opposite, actually.