Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Allegheny LTCF

(Allegheny County)

Default Allegheny LTCF

I got the yellow card in the mail over the weekend and I'm heading down there to get my photo taken and pay the 25 stones...

They make it a PITA though, "Office Hours 8:00 AM to 3:30 PM, Monday through Friday". Man, why don't they make it a little easier for us guys that DON'T work in the city. Looks like I'm taking a long lunch today.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Allegheny LTCF

They're making it as difficult as possible for residents in the hope that will discourage people from applying.

I work in Oakland and take time off work during the week to drive down there 3 times. One to pick up the application, two to return completed application and three to pick up the license. Cost me $5-6.00 each time to park.

I'd take a bus but don't want to wait for one.

This could all be done on line but that would be too convenient for residents. Each time I went down there though, the place had 5-6 people in line.

Liberalism is a mental disorder.
    Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me.

(Allegheny County)

they have an online version of the app but it doesn't work. you can't save the app with the information typed in [wtf] and you can't get it to print out at normal size.
    MORDENTE MEUM

(Allegheny County)

I was mailed an application two weeks ago. I have to renew this month.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jughead View Post
    This could all be done on line but that would be too convenient for residents. Each time I went down there though, the place had 5-6 people in line.
    or, even better, mullen could just do it like defazio did...

you go down there...you fill out the form...they run the PICS check--you pass...they issue your LTCF on the spot. took all of 20 minutes in one trip.

just why did mullen need to change that procedure?

(Allegheny County)

Yep, I agree that they make it a PITA for a reason. It would be so easy to automate most of this. I took a whole day off of work to get mine.

As far as the fill-able PDF. That's made more for you to type out then print it completed. But from your experience it sounds like they have some settings wrong. The only way to save the info in the file, is if you have the full version of Acrobat and not just the viewer.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Allegheny County)

Funny thing about the online form. I knew I was going into town so I filled out the online form to save time,(I did not sign it so that they could see me sign it in person), took the form to the Sheriff's office. I was told I couldn't use the online form that was all nice and neat (printed and typed opposed to hand written) because it was for mail in apps. The clerk behind the desk handed me the exact same form except one portion was shaded differently to hand fill out. Oh well, it was only 10 days before they called and said it was done.

I agree that this could all be done the same day as some counties do.

(Allegheny County)

I lived in Beaver County. All you needed to do was go to the court house, fill out a form, pay,they run a background check, have your pic taken and your out the door; 20min tops.

I just got back from my "extended lunch". The lady behind the desk didn't seem to thrilled to be there. But I'm happy, I've been meaning to renew my LTCF but never got around to it.

I picked up a Highnoon Base Asset and have been using it around the house just to get use to it. I really like the way it feels.

The online form didn't let me save anything. I had to print it as a PDF with all of my info filled out.

(Allegheny County)

I filled in the online app, printed it out, mailed it in, didn't have any problems.

Only took a couple weeks, got the yellow card, although I agree it's a PITA to get down to the city in the middle of the day, I'm about 30 minutes north.

But, was easier than I anticipated, I checked with both of my references, they didn't even contact them.

One thing I did notice, and I was going to start a new post on...

While I was waiting a few minutes to pick mine up, they had some flyer there, I don't have it with me at the moment, general safety guidelines, things like that.

All good info, then I get to the last page, and it says something to the effect of "you should always make sure your firearm is concealed", basically implying that you can only CC, not OC, which is clearly wrong.

And then below that, is a map that supposedly shows the reciprocity with other states, although compared to multiple sources online, it seems to be very WRONG.

I didn't look at all the states, but I noticed that the flyer claims that WV and VA do NOT honor PA permits, while every website I have looked at says they DO. Those are the states I travel through/to the most, didn't really look at the others.

Anyhow, I was wondering if I should write a letter informing them that they are handing out wrong information. Thoughts ?