Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Columbia County)

Default How soon can I renew my LTCF? Or change address?

Hello all, first time posting here in about a decade.

I'm up for renewal of my LTCF in mid-June. I also moved (over a year ago) to a new county. I actually forgot to update my LTCF until I was pulled over for a tail light that was out. The officer that pulled me over and gave me a warning also advised that I needed to update my LTCF address.

I called up my local sheriff's office, and the woman who answered the phone advised that I was too early to renew. I asked how soon, and she said a week or two before it expires. I pressed her further and asked what the earliest I could do it, and she again gave me a wishy washy answer, and said they don't like to have two different licenses active at the same time, so it had to be just before it expired. I asked about changing my address, and she advised I would need to wait until renewal time. None of this makes any sense. However, I couldn't find the applicable law on it when searching online.

So,

1. How early can I renew?

2. Can I change my address any time I move?

3. Do I actually need to change my address prior to renewal?

Can anyone direct me to the applicable law text?

Thanks everyone.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: How soon can I renew my LTCF? Or change address?

You can renew it as early as you like. Just be aware that you shorten the 5 year period. It will renew on the date you renew it, not with an effective date that is one day after the current one expires.

In other words, if you renew 2 months early, the effective period of your current one is 4 years, 10 months, instead of 5 years.

No big reason to care, but some people do, figuring they paid for 5 years, they want to get 5 years.

As a side note, I updated my address with 2 or 3 years remaining. There is no state mandated limit on how early to renew or when you can update your address.

Your local sheriff is playing local sheriff games with you.

Were it me, I would do as your issuing office "requires", and pay better attention to your vehicle maintenance.

(Columbia County)

Thanks for the reply. Do you happen to have a link to any applicable state law regarding this?

My vehicle was literally inspected for the mandatory state vehicle inspection a few days before being pulled over. I still had the receipt to show the officer. I'm good with maintenance, but not THAT good! lol

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by max384 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Do you happen to have a link to any applicable state law regarding this?

My vehicle was literally inspected for the mandatory state vehicle inspection a few days before being pulled over. I still had the receipt to show the officer. I'm good with maintenance, but not THAT good! lol
    I don't have a link, sorry.

Rotten luck about the light going out just after inspection....or they missed it on the inspection, either way.

(Jefferson County)

Most sheriffs will not issue prior to the 60 day notice that they have to send out.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Most sheriffs will not issue prior to the 60 day notice that they have to send out.
    60 days is what my renewal notice said. The first one I received was 10 days before the 60th day. Then I got 3 more renewal letters. DELCO
    Sticks and stones will break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by max384 View Post
    This is on the Bucks County Sheriff's page:

If you are Renewing:
    A concealed carry license is renewed every five years. The earliest you can renew is 60 days prior to the expiration date. Our office will mail out a renewal letter at that time. You will need to complete an application again; either as a walk-in or through Permitium, while providing your valid PA driver’s license or identification card.

https://www.buckscounty.gov/1982/Con...-Carry-License

However, the only mention in the PA Uniform Firearms Act about when to renew is this:

(f) Term of license.--

(1) A license to carry a firearm issued under subsection (e) shall be valid throughout this Commonwealth for a period of five years unless extended under paragraph (3) or sooner revoked.

(2) At least 60 days prior to the expiration of each license, the issuing sheriff shall send to the licensee an application for renewal of license. Failure to receive a renewal application shall not relieve a licensee from the responsibility to renew the license.

https://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs...&div=0&chpt=61

The law says "at least 60 days". To me that implies the you can renew sooner.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by wew3 View Post
    This is on the Bucks County Sheriff's page:

If you are Renewing:
    A concealed carry license is renewed every five years. The earliest you can renew is 60 days prior to the expiration date. Our office will mail out a renewal letter at that time. You will need to complete an application again; either as a walk-in or through Permitium, while providing your valid PA driver*s license or identification card.

https://www.buckscounty.gov/1982/Con...-Carry-License

However, the only mention in the PA Uniform Firearms Act about when to renew is this:

(f) Term of license.--

(1) A license to carry a firearm issued under subsection (e) shall be valid throughout this Commonwealth for a period of five years unless extended under paragraph (3) or sooner revoked.

(2) At least 60 days prior to the expiration of each license, the issuing sheriff shall send to the licensee an application for renewal of license. Failure to receive a renewal application shall not relieve a licensee from the responsibility to renew the license.

https://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs...&div=0&chpt=61

The law says "at least 60 days". To me that implies the you can renew sooner.
    And that statement pertains to the requirement to send out a renewal notice. It says nothing about when one can actually renew.

(Delaware County)

My experience with trying to renew using the online application is that it would not let me until 60 days before the old one expired - Delco County - although I think most use the same....

(Columbia County)

Thanks everyone. I went ahead and applied for the renewal, as I'm within 60 days, and it went through without a problem.

HOWEVER, we then tried to renew my wife's license (same expiration date), and we get the following error:

"Your permit is expired and you will have to obtain a new training certificate."

My wife called and spoke to the same woman I spoke with earlier, and was told she got that error because she applied too soon... Despite it saying my wife's permit [license] already expired [wrong!] and required a training certificate [Again, wrong!]. Ugh.