Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Re: PA -> NJ move, how to preserve the PA license to carry?

When I saw that title I knew most of the responses would be the not helpful "don't move to Jersey". At least you got a few helpful responses.
    Sticks and stones will break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

(Bucks County)

Moving to NJ for family! Seriously, I can*t think of a single family member that I would move to that communist shit-hole for, nor can I think of one that would ask me to!
    You need better family!

(Jefferson County)

The only way to keep your PA LTCF is to get a NJ permit before your LTCF's issuing agent finds out that you moved.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Once he establishes residency in NJ his LTCF is no longer valid. It will still list his PA address.
    Get your NJ license

https://handgunlaw.us/states/newjersey.pdf

Then reapply in PA for a non-resident license.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    Once he establishes residency in NJ his LTCF is no longer valid. It will still list his PA address.
    Get your NJ license

https://handgunlaw.us/states/newjersey.pdf

Then reapply in PA for a non-resident license.
    It is still valid until revoked or expires. A sheriff has a duty to revoke said LTCF if the person isn't in compliance, which as a non-resident that means having the license/permit of the state in which he/she resides if they issue such a device. The only state that doesn't issue licenses/permits is Vermont, thus they are exempt.

Now, with that being said - if the sheriff never finds out, the LTCF never gets revoked. However, should something happen and some LEO finds out they you're a non-resident holding a LTCF in which you don't have your home state permit, and then passes that info along - things can go bad.

There is no "resident" or "non-resident" LTCF. Non-residents just have the extra burden of having to possess their home state carry permit/license to be eligible for a PA LTCF.
    Last edited by knight0334; April 14th, 2024 at 11:06 PM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    It is still valid until revoked or expires. A sheriff has a duty to revoke said LTCF if the person isn't in compliance, which as a non-resident that means having the license/permit of the state in which he/she resides if they issue such a device. The only state that doesn't issue licenses/permits is Vermont, thus they are exempt.

Now, with that being said - if the sheriff never finds out, the LTCF never gets expired. However, should something happen and some LEO finds out they you're a non-resident holding a LTCF in which you don't have your home state permit, and then passes that info along - things can go bad.

There is not "resident" or "non-resident" LTCF. Non-residents just have the extra burden of having to possess their home state carry permit/license to be eligible for a PA LTCF.
    I am aware that there is no differentiation. I should clarify, "Get a license as a non-resident". Should he keep driving on his PA Driver's License until it expires too?

(Montgomery County)

The wife and I have always flirted with the idea of retiring to our shore house*. Until I bought my first firearm* as much as I love the idea of living on the bay and having my boat in the backyard, I*m just not willing to give up some of my rights. OP, please keep us updated on your experience of moving to NJ.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by CallinSIC View Post
    The wife and I have always flirted with the idea of retiring to our shore house*. Until I bought my first firearm* as much as I love the idea of living on the bay and having my boat in the backyard, I*m just not willing to give up some of my rights. OP, please keep us updated on your experience of moving to NJ.
    You could sell your NJ shore house and buy another in a friendlier state.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    I am aware that there is no differentiation. I should clarify, "Get a license as a non-resident". Should he keep driving on his PA Driver's License until it expires too?
    No, he should get his NJ DL, and his NJ carry permit(to retain his PA LTCF). Once he has his NJ permit, there is no need to reapply for a PA LTCF. He had fulfilled the requirement as a non-resident.

Here is what to do:
    Establish residency in NJ, get the NJ DL, go through the asinine process of getting the NJ carry permit, then notify the sheriff that issued the LTCF of the address change, and provide a copy of the NJ carry permit.

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    No, he should get his NJ DL, and his NJ carry permit(to retain his PA LTCF). Once he has his NJ permit, there is no need to reapply for a PA LTCF. He had fulfilled the requirement as a non-resident.

Here is what to do:
    Establish residency in NJ, get the NJ DL, go through the asinine process of getting the NJ carry permit, then notify the sheriff that issued the LTCF of the address change, and provide a copy of the NJ carry permit.
    That works for me...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast