Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Have you ever thought about becoming a state trooper?

I have been toying with the idea recently and have even looked at the requirements and application process. I'm currently an IT professional and the salary drop alone doesn't justify the career move; however, I am coming to the point where I am somewhat bored with my work (even though I love my job tremendously) and need something A LOT more exciting. At the end of the day, IT is still something to benefit big corporations, nothing really rewarding.

Despite stories about our members' negative encounters with LEOs, I find that being an LEO is a noble service profession. There is certainly romanticism involved here as well ... the whole good guy bad guy, cops vs. robbers thing. I never grew out of that. Having learned tremendously from this forum, I'd think becoming one is advantageous to the general group. A good example is that not only I will know how to deal with the OC nuts, but I'll be able to educate other LEOs on open carry. (Just kidding about the "nuts" thing.)

Of course, there are many concerns:
    1. Safety - you can be in the line of fire at any given encounter
    2. Family - I am married, what if... ; moreover, my parents, being Asians, will be freaking out.
    3. Shift work - no 9 to 5 (if I understand it correctly)
    4. Pay - PSP starting salary is just above $50K

In any case, I have a few questions:
    1. Would you want to become an LEO, specifically a PSP? Why or why not?
    2. Would you quit your well-paying job to do it?
    3. Does being an Asian help with acceptance? I've heard that many agencies are desperate for Asian LEO's. PSP has 1% Asians.
    4. What is the "career growth" in law enforcement before the fun stops?
    5. Do you have to be an police officer before becoming a detective?
    6. Other suggestions, takes?

I am very interested in hearing from LEOs on the board especially.

Thanks,
    Al

(Tioga County)

Default Re: Have you ever thought about becoming a state trooper?

One thing I feel I must say is most work as an LEO, Yes, even in the PSP, Is boring. Yes you get a little pumped the first time you write a traffic citation but after a while it's not fun anymore. You would be on the force for years before they would even consider making you a detective. Being a detective is mostly leg work and paper work. An old expression from my navy days, hours and hours of boredom separated by moments of shear panic.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by mythaeus View Post
    I have been toying with the idea recently and have even looked at the requirements and application process. I'm currently an IT professional and the salary drop alone doesn't justify the career move; however, I am coming to the point where I am somewhat bored with my work (even though I love my job tremendously) and need something A LOT more exciting. At the end of the day, IT is still something to benefit big corporations, nothing really rewarding.

Despite stories about our members' negative encounters with LEOs, I find that being an LEO is a noble service profession. There is certainly romanticism involved here as well ... the whole good guy bad guy, cops vs. robbers thing. I never grew out of that. Having learned tremendously from this forum, I'd think becoming one is advantageous to the general group. A good example is that not only I will know how to deal with the OC nuts, but I'll be able to educate other LEOs on open carry. (Just kidding about the "nuts" thing.)

Of course, there are many concerns:
    1. Safety - you can be in the line of fire at any given encounter
    2. Family - I am married, what if... ; moreover, my parents, being Asians, will be freaking out.3. Shift work - no 9 to 5 (if I understand it correctly)
    4. Pay - PSP starting salary is just above $50K

In any case, I have a few questions:
    1. Would you want to become an LEO, specifically a PSP? Why or why not?
    2. Would you quit your well-paying job to do it?
    3. Does being an Asian help with acceptance? I've heard that many agencies are desperate for Asian LEO's. PSP has 1% Asians.
    4. What is the "career growth" in law enforcement before the fun stops?
    5. Do you have to be an police officer before becoming a detective?
    6. Other suggestions, takes?

I am very interested in hearing from LEOs on the board especially.

Thanks,
    Al

*bold is mine*
    Ummm, Asians don't like cops? I don't get it.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by BerksCountyDave View Post
    *bold is mine*
    Ummm, Asians don't like cops? I don't get it.
    Sorry, that needs a little clarification. Asian parents are very, very, very against their kids working in dangerous jobs.

Al

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by rwilson452 View Post
    One thing I feel I must say is most work as an LEO, Yes, even in the PSP, Is boring. Yes you get a little pumped the first time you write a traffic citation but after a while it's not fun anymore. You would be on the force for years before they would even consider making you a detective. Being a detective is mostly leg work and paper work. An old expression from my navy days, hours and hours of boredom separated by moments of shear panic.
    Man, you de-romanticized to whole thing in 1 short paragraph. Thanks for the comment.

Al

(Luzerne County)

One of my best friends and several acquaintances are PSP...
    From the things they tell me about the job, pay, etc... They can have it.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Allegheny County)

One avenue to explore is the reserves. Check your local Police or Sheriff to see if they have a reserve unit. It's a good way to see if you like it.

I've been a reserve deputy for close to a year and I still like it. The training was well worth the time, especially the firearms. I'm 100% a volunteer and pay for ALL my own gear. We don't go out on patrol. We mostly provide a presence at special events. Mostly traffic and crowd control.

Reserves across the country vary widely, some go out on patrol and ride solo.

Anyway the reserves may a first step for you.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveM55 View Post
    One avenue to explore is the reserves. Check your local Police or Sheriff to see if they have a reserve unit. It's a good way to see if you like it.

I've been a reserve deputy for close to a year and I still like it. The training was well worth the time, especially the firearms. I'm 100% a volunteer and pay for ALL my own gear. We don't go out on patrol. We mostly provide a presence at special events. Mostly traffic and crowd control. Reserves across the country vary widely, some go out on patrol and ride solo.

Anyway the reserves may a first step for you.
    Actually, I was going ask you about it when you mentioned that you're a reserve on another thread. It worths looking into for sure. Thanks.

Al

(Montgomery County)

I wanted nothing more than to be a State Trooper when I was 18 - 19 years old (in the early 80's. I took the test 4 times and my lowest score was a 94 and my high was a 97.
    I was somewhere around 700 on the list, but because I didn't get any military points and I was the wrong sex and flavor, chances of getting in were not very good.
    I say if you want to do it - go for it!

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

(Philadelphia County)

One of my buddies is a trooper, I don't even think he looks at it as a job. I'm pretty sure he'd do it for free he loves it so much.

With that said, I think some people are just born for it. If you put him in a room with 100 people and said "pick the trooper" I highly doubt you'd guess wrong.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast