Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default Re: best and worst of n.e.p.a gun shops...

Quote Originally Posted by NEPABob View Post
    Gun Toters in Eynon does have a hugh supply of handguns but they don't have any prices listed. When there are no list prices it makes me feel like I'm on a used car lot...
    Don't you just hate that. We take the dogs to the flea mkt. on Sundays during the summer. If stands are not priced I just walk right by them.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Bucks County)

Best shops:

surplus city guns in feasterville
    tanners in jamison
    abington guns in willow grove
    Lowes in perkasie
    classic pistol: nice range but some owner/employees can be assholes at times

worst:
    claytons in hosham

(Bucks County)

anyone have an address or webpage for advanced arms? sounds like a decent shop

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by wellcraft View Post
    anyone have an address or webpage for advanced arms? sounds like a decent shop
    http://www.advancedarms.com/
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Lehigh County)

It's not exactly NEPA, but if you are in the area, Golden Trigger in Emmaus is a good shop, family owned and operated and real nice folks. Prices are good also!
    Didn't notice Ed's in Tamaqua in this list. I have never been there but I got a flyer of his from a gun show and it looks like a big place. Anybody have any experince with them?

(Luzerne County)

Up here (Nepa) I've only dealt with Chris at Advanced. I was at Seneca once to do a transfer, and they were packed (always a good sign). Never heard a bad word about them, but I wouldn't consider them NEPA.

So what's up with the Bow Clinic in Dupont? I went there once (they were closed) a while back, back when Ray's was open across the street.

Quote Originally Posted by normanvin View Post
    Nimrod Haven is the one in Buttonwood. I stopped one time. I walked into the place, saw a nice chromed Desert Eagle. He wouldn't even take it out of the case for me to look at. It was for serious inquires only. What ever that is. I never went back.
    Don't you just love that?

Reminds me of a story about a young Elvis back when he first made it. In blue jeans and greased up hair, he went to a Caddy dealer in Memphis. He asked to test drive a chromey, high-end model. The salesman laughed at him, saying something along the lines of getting a joyride elsewhere. So Elvis got the manager, said he'd take that Caddy, that he'd be paying cash, and pointed to a janitor sweeping the floors and said he wanted the commission to go to him.

I only remember the good shops since I will frequently visit them as I have time.

Donley's in Quakertown - willing to chat with you about gun trends, and very friendly people. Great AR parts selections, and they have sks crying to go home with me. Oh, they parkerize and duracoat guns, pretty colors.

Meyers in Bath - hard core straight talking shop. You don't know what you want, tell them what you are looking for (cal, purpose, etc.) and they can help get it for you. Also they carry ammo not easily found in other shops. Oh the hours lend to allowing me to visit after work, 6-9pm many nights.

Handgunner in Topton, been there a few times. Good consignment selection, and helpful staff. I've found good deals on gently broken in guns.

Can't forget Eagle Arms Sports Shop. Friendly environment, picked up a good deal or two there. Lots of collectible stuff. Only thing is the lighting, I'm old, I like stuff to be bright for more impulse buying.

OK, places I haven't bought yet from, but always friendly to a 'window-shop' like myself waiting for another impulse buy. Lowes, AF Boyers, American Sport Shooting, and Warners Surplus.

later,

tom
    Everyday, Love your Wife. She might love you back twice that day. :D

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Bill Klinton View Post
    Your not missing anything normanvin...

Sounds like a road trip to pie's curt's and wallp and the guy in tamaqua.
    How this for Ed's in Tamaqua

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by logic250 View Post
    It's not exactly NEPA, but if you are in the area, Golden Trigger in Emmaus is a good shop, family owned and operated and real nice folks. Prices are good also!
    Didn't notice Ed's in Tamaqua in this list. I have never been there but I got a flyer of his from a gun show and it looks like a big place. Anybody have any experince with them?
    i've bought two guns from ED's and in his shop and he seemed like a nice guy but when i stop by his tables at gun shows he acts like an ass. his wife has always been nice and courteous so when i go to shows i deal with her. they usually have a nice selection of mags for reasonable prices. his firearm prices are nothing to brag about but i think i got a good deal on the DE 50ae and taurus 454 i bought from him in 98.

I don't live in PA anymore but here are my experiences and recommendations for shops I have been in:

Donley's in Quakertown: I have bought from him and have called with questions and have gotten straight answers. I had an AR15 upper that wouldn't run Wolf, I questioned the chamber size, He offered to open it up a bit with a chambering reamer, I declined the offer, as I reload all my brass and that would have ended up overworking the cases.

John's Gun and Tackle in Easton, PA: Small shop, geared mostly toward hunting arms, only bought black powder there. Friendly, keeps door locked, you have to knock to get let in due to several strong arm robberies in the past.

Dicks Sporting Goods, rt33: OK prices, good deals on ammo when on sale by the case. Royal PAIN IN THE ASS to purchase a firearm from. Do not recommend them for firearms purchase unless that $20-$50 that you might save is worth the 1-2 hours of your life it will take and you better check the box for all accouterments that is supposed to come with the rifle. I would not buy another firearm from them unless they were the only option.

American Sport Shooters in Broadheadsville: Have purchased several firearms and had a transfer done there. Would highly recommend this shop to anyone. I would have no problem bringing my wife, daughter or anyone in this well lit, well stocked showroom. Professional, knowledgable staff. Prices on what I bought were not objectionable, did not get any 'sales job' for extras. Once again, highly recommend.

Warners' Surplus: Have bought ammo cans at his old shop. Barely any selection of firearms. Tried to purchase an item through him, after getting what I felt was the run around for more than a month, went elsewhere and received item in less than 4 days. Haven't been to new location so I can't speak to inventory there. Stop by, if they have what you want, buy it, if they have to order it, I'd recommend shopping else where. Staff was friendly and seemed knowledgable except for info regarding orders.

Weaver's: Have been to shop twice. Never bought anything, Good selection of arms/ammo, good prices on ammo. Staff not overly friendly nor helpful. Would not recommend bringing wife or daughter into store.

Dunklebergers in Stroudsburg: Have purchased firearms fromthem. Have not since finding out they have to videotape and report all sales to Bloomberg in NYC. Good selection of arms/ammo. Higher prices on long arms, sometimes have decent used guns. They are an outdoors store with a gun department. Have no problems bringing wife/daughter in store. If you go, park in small lot behind building, not metered parking. Both times I parked in metered parking, I was in store longer than I expected and got ticketed for expired meter.

TNT reloading in Forks Twsp.: This is where I bought nearly all of my reloading supplies from. Good prices if items are in stock. Knowledgable staff for product, available for mail order order or pick up in person in the evenings. No frills place, actually, it's a large garage, although the parking lot has been paved in past year or two.

Firing Line in Whitehall: Indoor range. I bought a Brolin Arms 1911 from them way back when they first came out. I used to shoot there regularly, haven't been there in 8 years or so.

Army Navy in Allentown: Have bought guns/ ammo/ reloading equipment there in the past, haven't bought much lately due to relatively high prices. OK selection of arms/ammo. They seem to be a clothing store with a gun department.

All of the above reviews are my opinion only, based on my experiences with the above mentioned shops, you may agree or disagree with them, as you see fit. Like I said, I don't live in PA anymore, so I have no vested interest in any of the shops, although I wanted to get to American Sport Shooters to pick up some HST last weekend when I was up loading the moving truck, but I ran out of time. I can't find HST ammo in the Florida shops I have been to, so I will probably have to mail order it. Oh well.

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast