Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Re: best and worst of n.e.p.a gun shops...

Gun Toters in Eynon. great selection of handguns, decent prices, knowledgeable and friendly staff. great holster selection. not much in the way of rifles, but they have a few nice shotguns there. it gets a 5.

Carbondale Guns, right around the corner from Gun Toters. not a big selection to speak of, and most of whats there is overpriced. for example: an Armscor .38 Special snubnose, which most places goes for under $200, costs $259 there. members here have had problems receiving their orders, as well. score: 2.

Bill's Sporting Goods, in Scranton. my favorite shop. while the selection available is not big, they'll order whatever you ask for. it's family run, they're all very friendly and knowledgeable, though the old man has been known to be grumpy at times. they have great deals on used rifles and shotguns. plus, if you need a bike, sports equipment, or fishing gear, they have it. they get a 4.

i only buy ammo at Gander Mountain. no score.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by mjf2008 View Post
    STAPELTON'S PHARMACY,wyoming p.a.

a small little hole in the wall with lots of old fashioned charm.
    the owner is a very friendly and helpfull sales person.the selection is not to much in reference to quantity but with the way the stock rotates you just never know what you may find on a visit.the prices are incredible and the ability to haggle down a dollar or two is always available.
    i wouldnt drive 2 hours just to check it out,but if you are going to be in the area i would make sure to stop in.

RATING = 3 1/2*
    I did not know Stapeltons was still selling guns.

I use Piestracks in Nanticoke and Advanced Arms in Pittston.

Hey mjf2008 where do you shoot at?

There is the guy down in Buttonwood. I pass it on the way to Piestracks. I would not recommend him.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Luzerne County)

i shoot on private land mostly.
    but if the ranges have opened up again ..which i hope they have i would like to check out the range in sweet valley.

this is what i mean.
    honest people who look forward to helping others in the hobby.
    that is what this thread is all about..

thanks jah and i will be heading to those shops .a.s.a.p
    i think all of us should try to find the time to take a look at each place as long as it is reasonable..

and lets not bother with the larger chain stores such as dicks sporting goods or cabelas, etc as far as ratings go.

makes no sense.i have very little in the way of good things to say about most of those types of places.i prefer the small family run business's to the larger chain stores any day.

stapleton is a pretty cool little spot that not to many have heard of.
    i just purchased a piece from bill and im about to purchase another this month as well.

piestracks in nanticoke is actually the next spot i am going to.

where do you shoot?
    "POWER WITHOUT PERCEPTION IS USELESS,THEREFOR HAS NO TRUE MEANING OR VALUE!"

(Luzerne County)

I belonged to the private range up in Suscon. They moved, and it is more of a drive then I want to take. I am waiting for the public range in Suscon to reopen. I also know a guy in Harding I can go to once in a while.

(Luzerne County)

norm what do you think of piestracks?.

i have a friend who has recommended the shop to me and has nothing but good things to say about them.

let us know your opinion.
    "POWER WITHOUT PERCEPTION IS USELESS,THEREFOR HAS NO TRUE MEANING OR VALUE!"

(Luzerne County)

I have been dealing with them for years. I haven't had a bad deal with them yet. It is not a huge shop. Yet they still have a decent selection. They have always had a decent selwction of used items, for a good price. They also have a good layaway program.

http://www.piestraksgunshop.com/

They have a safe sale during the summer. They also have reps from some manufacturers at this event.
    Last edited by normanvin; December 2nd, 2008 at 10:39 AM.

(Lackawanna County)

Never been to Piestracks, I agree Bill's is a nice place with friendly attitude (I hate waiting for new guns though), Gun Toters was good and friendly until I asked about buying some of his body armor the one day. He got upset b/c I'm not a cop or have my act 235. He never acted the same after that. I'm a fan of Advanced Arms personally. Not a good place to go if your looking for a hunting rifle or a 22 generally, but it is the place for pistols and assault weapons. He's got lots in stock, more coming in, real friendly and willing to answer all of your questions and great hours. Really cheap fees too.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by nepawolf View Post
    Never been to Piestracks, I agree Bill's is a nice place with friendly attitude (I hate waiting for new guns though), Gun Toters was good and friendly until I asked about buying some of his body armor the one day. He got upset b/c I'm not a cop or have my act 235. He never acted the same after that. I'm a fan of Advanced Arms personally. Not a good place to go if your looking for a hunting rifle or a 22 generally, but it is the place for pistols and assault weapons. He's got lots in stock, more coming in, real friendly and willing to answer all of your questions and great hours. Really cheap fees too.
    You should check Piestracks out some time. Nice people.

(Beaver County)

I like the idea of this because of the fact that a guy may know that in his area there are 2 or 3 shops around and one tends to be priced better and or has better customer dealings... or more friendly.

I am in Beaver County, Baden to be exact. In my area Brown's Armory in Rochester PA. is the biggest. Not the cheapest prices, but the most on the shelf new and used. Tim behind the counter is friendly as can be.

If you want to save a few bucks you can go to Guzyks in Ambridge PA. The owner at Guzyks is a bit rough around the edges, he is not the "smile and be happy" type of personallity that Brown's seems to extend to you.... but you can find some better deals. Also the selection at Guzyks is much less than it is at Brown's.

It just seems that Guzyks works on a smaller profit margine. For the conversation, I choose to go to Brown's more often. I just like feeling buddy-buddy with the guy I am handing my pay check to.

I would rate Brown's as a 4 (Good On Stock Selection, Personality, OK Prices)
    I would rate Guzyks as a 2.5 (Good Prices, Mediocre Personality, Small Stock)

Its a personal opinion and is subject to others input

(Wyoming County)

I always shop at advanced great place very friendly good selection.

I went to Nimrod Haven once very dirty the guy was not friendly at all and just kind of ignored me so ill never go back.

I might have to check out Piestracks never been there, maybe one day after school i will seems like it is pretty close to LCCC.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast