Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Beaver County)

Default Re: Traveling with shotguns (to various places) in PA

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I believe the "straight to the range" thing applies to handguns if one does not possess a LTCF.
    Long guns are a whole different animal.
    Agree it’s sofferent

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by SgtRecon View Post
    Roll like these guys and you will be fine, just don't cross the Parish line

Get a haircut.

(Erie County)

Guy in corry pa, traffic stop by city of corry police tonight. Non prohibited. Bolt action shotgun in case in rear seat non loaded AND BOLT REMOVED (in cupholder) arrested snd charged felony by them. I am trying to nail down specific state statute that pertains to transportaion of unloaded long gun in vehicle in pa…

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by chrisjp View Post
    Guy in corry pa, traffic stop by city of corry police tonight. Non prohibited. Bolt action shotgun in case in rear seat non loaded AND BOLT REMOVED (in cupholder) arrested snd charged felony by them. I am trying to nail down specific state statute that pertains to transportaion of unloaded long gun in vehicle in pa…
    I think it's covered in Title 34:

§ 2503. Loaded firearms in vehicles.

(a) General rule.--Except as otherwise provided in this title, it is unlawful for any person to have a firearm of any kind in or on or against any conveyance propelled by mechanical power or its attachments at any time whether or not the vehicle or its attachment is in motion unless the firearm is unloaded.

(b) Exceptions.--This section shall not be construed to apply to:

(1) A police officer engaged in the performance of his official duty.

(2) A commission officer engaged in the performance of his duty.

(3) A person carrying a loaded pistol or revolver when in possession of a valid firearms license issued by the chief or head of any police force or the sheriff of a county when the license is issued for protection under 18 Pa.C.S. Ch. 61 Subch. A (relating to Uniform Firearms Act).

(4) Any person as defined in section 2121(c) (relating to killing game or wildlife to protect property) while on lands they control and when not hunting or trapping for game or wildlife.

(5) Any motorboat or other craft having a motor attached or any sailboat if the motor has been completely shut off or the sail furled and its progress therefrom has ceased.

(6) Any political subdivision, its employees or agents, which has a valid deer control permit issued under section 2902(c) (relating to general categories of permits).

The exceptions in paragraphs (1) through (5) do not apply when attempting to locate game or wildlife with an artificial light or when exercising any privileges granted by this title which may be exercised only when not in the possession of a firearm.

(c) Penalty.--A violation of this section is a summary offense of the fourth degree if the vehicle is in motion. Otherwise the violation is a summary offense of the fifth degree.

(Mar. 29, 1996, P.L.41, No.13, eff. imd.; Dec. 19, 1996, P.L.1442, No.184, eff. 60 days)

2022 Correction. The Legislative Reference Bureau removed language that was erroneously added in subsec. (a).

1996 Amendments. Acts 13 and 184 amended subsec. (b).

https://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs...tn=3&subsctn=0

(Schuylkill County)

This is confusing to me based on everything I have heard and read.

I’m not asking you for additional details, but is there anything else related to the stop, other individuals involved or things you don’t want to or can’t comment on? That seems like a very surreal event, esp based on the facts you shared. Hope you can get some more clarity in the days to come.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by wew3 View Post
    I think it's covered in Title 34:

§ 2503. Loaded firearms in vehicles.

(a) General rule.--Except as otherwise provided in this title, it is unlawful for any person to have a firearm of any kind in or on or against any conveyance propelled by mechanical power or its attachments at any time whether or not the vehicle or its attachment is in motion unless the firearm is unloaded.

https://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs...tn=3&subsctn=0

Title 34 only applies to Game and Wildlife activities.

The appropriate general prohibition is:

18 PA CSA § 6106.1. Carrying loaded weapons other than firearms.

(a) General rule.--Except as provided in Title 34 (relating to game), no person shall carry a loaded pistol, revolver, shotgun or rifle, other than a firearm as defined in section 6102 (relating to definitions), in any vehicle. The provisions of this section shall not apply to persons excepted from the requirement of a license to carry firearms under section 6106(b)(1), (2), (5) or (6) (relating to firearms not to be carried without a license) nor shall the provisions of this section be construed to permit persons to carry firearms in a vehicle where such conduct is prohibited by section 6106.

(b) Penalty.--A person who violates the provisions of this section commits a summary offense.

(Dec. 7, 1989, P.L.607, No.68, eff. 60 days; June 13, 1995, 1st Sp.Sess., P.L.1024, No.17, eff. 120 days)
    https://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs...tn=6&subsctn=1

§ 6107. Prohibited conduct during emergency.

(a) General rule.--No person shall carry a firearm upon the public streets or upon any public property during an emergency proclaimed by a State or municipal governmental executive unless that person is:

(1) Actively engaged in a defense of that person's life or property from peril or threat.

(2) Licensed to carry firearms under section 6109 (relating to licenses) or is exempt from licensing under section 6106(b) (relating to firearms not to be carried without a license).
    (b) Seizure, taking and confiscation.--Except as otherwise provided under subsection (a) and notwithstanding the provisions of 35 Pa.C.S. Ch. 73 (relating to Commonwealth services) or any other provision of law to the contrary, no firearm, accessory or ammunition may be seized, taken or confiscated during an emergency unless the seizure, taking or confiscation would be authorized absent the emergency.

(c) Definitions.--As used in this section, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings given to them in this subsection:

"Accessory." Any scope, sight, bipod, sling, light, magazine, clip or other related item that is attached to or necessary for the operation of a firearm.

"Firearm." The term includes any weapon that is designed to or may readily be converted to expel any projectile by the action of an explosive or the frame or receiver of any weapon.

(June 13, 1995, 1st Sp.Sess., P.L.1024, No.17, eff. 120 days; Oct. 17, 2008, P.L.1628, No.131, eff. 60 days)

https://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs...tn=7&subsctn=0

§ 6108. Carrying firearms on public streets or public property in Philadelphia.

No person shall carry a firearm, rifle or shotgun at any time upon the public streets or upon any public property in a city of the first class unless:

(1) such person is licensed to carry a firearm; or

(2) such person is exempt from licensing under section 6106(b) of this title (relating to firearms not to be carried without a license).
    https://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs...tn=8&subsctn=0
    IANAL

(Erie County)

Based on all of this there is no specifics relating to UN loaded long guns. How its supposed to be in a vehicle. I know federal gives for crossing state lines but rest of anything stated specifically is “loaded” and pertains to “firearms” which long guns/shotguns (barrel length min 16 and 18 inch respectively) so this means unles a detail is left out (especially if BOLT was physically not in the shotgun) how does any of this apply and justifies their arrest and F1 charge if not prohibited. (Again i wasnt there but based on my friend was with him relating the circumstances nd he is just as confused as a LAGO..)

(Allegheny County)

You seem to be forgetting that you can be charged/arrested for doing things that are perfectly legal, leaving it up to you and the courts to figure out.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

What was he actually charged with?

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    What was he actually charged with?
    so far only info i have is a F1. i will have to talk to my friend in person to try to get more info.
    live to ride

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast