Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Quick Draw Old West Style.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Waffles View Post
    I watched the classic movie Tombstone again and I was wondering if anyone has opinions on why certain notable gunfighters were faster draws than others? It*s not that complex to draw a pistol from a hip and fire at a stationary target a few feet away. Is it just faster reflexes or some technique difference? The seen with Doc Holiday and Johnny Ringo is a good example. The only thing I can see is remaining calm and efficient, rather than being nervous. That*s easier said than done obviously.
    Firing at the target and actually hitting it require different skills.

Forget the draw. Just fire from the hip at a target 10 yards away and see how successful you are.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I don't really think my reflexes are THAT good, but somehow I beat 99.999% of all cars off the line when the light turns green.
    Regardless of what vehicle I've ever owned.
    When I ran cross country, teammates commented how fast I reacted to the starter's gun.

I think some people are just more "wired" than others.

(Delaware County)

These are all interesting points. It’s always best to avoid gunfights all together.
    My three favorite things in life are guns, girls and cars. Everything else is secondary.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    I suspect the whole "quick draw" thing is more hollywood than historic.
    More like duels where the duelers were supposed to walk 10 paces and then turn and fire. The guy who turned at 9 almost always won. Until the other guy turned at eight.

Quote Originally Posted by SevenMilePete View Post
    More like duels where the duelers were supposed to walk 10 paces and then turn and fire. The guy who turned at 9 almost always won. Until the other guy turned at eight.
    I turned at one and walked backwards till 9 and shot. Paint ball gun wars and other dumb kid stuff was always fun.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    When I ran cross country, teammates commented how fast I reacted to the starter's gun.

I think some people are just more "wired" than others.
    Save for marathons, probably the only race where a quick start doesn't matter.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by JAKIII View Post
    Save for marathons, probably the only race where a quick start doesn't matter.
    Have you run cross country?

There are many courses where it really DOES matter.

It's common for teams to line up at the "wide end" of a chute that narrows to 1/2 to 1/4 the width of the wide end, within 100 yards or so. At an invitational, which may have 20-30 or more teams (7 people per team, more in JV) the wide end is WIDE. When the gun goes off, it's a mad sprint to the the narrow end. If you are not at the front of the pack by the time you get there, you're "stuck", sometimes standing still while all those people squeeze through the relatively narrow opening. If that happens to you, it's very difficult to ever catch up to the leaders and contend for a good finish.

I once did such a race at Manassas Battlefield Park. It was only a tri-meet, but the narrow end of the "chute" was a 2-person wide footpath into the woods. A lot of people were eating trees. It was ugly.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    Have you run cross country?

There are many courses where it really DOES matter.

It's common for teams to line up at the "wide end" of a chute that narrows to 1/2 to 1/4 the width of the wide end, within 100 yards or so. At an invitational, which may have 20-30 or more teams (7 people per team, more in JV) the wide end is WIDE. When the gun goes off, it's a mad sprint to the the narrow end. If you are not at the front of the pack by the time you get there, you're "stuck", sometimes standing still while all those people squeeze through the relatively narrow opening. If that happens to you, it's very difficult to ever catch up to the leaders and contend for a good finish.

I once did such a race at Manassas Battlefield Park. It was only a tri-meet, but the narrow end of the "chute" was a 2-person wide footpath into the woods. A lot of people were eating trees. It was ugly.
    I ran middle distance in HS. I ran a few x-country races in college, intramurals, not the college team. In the USMC, I ran the annual physical fitness test, which included a 3-mile run (my best time was 15:30). I've also ran numerous 5K races as an adult.

During windy races, I've run right behind another runner to shield myself from a head-wind (it's very effective for conserving energy).

To your point, if you're competitive then starting in front and getting out ahead of the traffic is important.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by JAKIII View Post
    To your point, if you're competitive then starting in front and getting out ahead of the traffic is important.
    Yes. Yes it is.

I was competitive - but my best finish was 2nd (it was an invitational though, so lots of teams). The guy who was 1st led the whole race and finished maybe 50 yards ahead of me. I had to work for it though. Last mile I passed a lot of people and had to fight hard for that second place medal (:

But on that note, one year we had a track sprinter on our team. His first race, he went all-out for about a mile and was WAY ahead of the pack - ended up finishing WAY toward the end (:
    Last edited by free; April 11th, 2024 at 01:49 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12