Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Has anyone here got their NJ CCW?

I've talked to a few people and got conflicting reports on the process. Some stated it was minimal training (NRA safety course) and others stating it was shooting prone, left handed, right handed, 25 yards) and some stated it was somewhere in between. Also, they all stated they got their CCW in about 60 days. Please advise as I want to start this process with 5 family members and 2 friends.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

Default Re: Has anyone here got their NJ CCW?

I have my NJ permit. Since I had certified under the old system, I needed to re-certify.

All shots are with your right hand(or left if you are a lefty). The test involves drawing the pistol from a holster, firing 5 shots at a fixed target, and then re-holstering.

https://www.nj.gov/njsp/firearms/pdf/CCARE_Protocol.pdf
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    There is a place like that, but William Penn made sure to put a river between us and New Jersey, to keep out those hoplophobic riffraff.
    There is NO evidence of widespread journalistic integrity.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by olderguy View Post
    I have my NJ permit. Since I had certified under the old system, I needed to re-certify.

All shots are with your right hand(or left if you are a lefty). The test involves drawing the pistol from a holster, firing 5 shots at a fixed target, and then re-holstering.

Accuse your enemy of what you are doing as you are doing it to create confusion -Karl Marx

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by olderguy View Post

Thanks---that seems doable and more in line with what I was thinking---3, 5, 7, 10 and 15 yards are good ranges. Anything beyond 15 yards and you're explaining to a jury why you shot the criminal or suspect.
    Do I start with the State police then where do I go for qualification? PA? NJ only?
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by mikelets456 View Post
    Thanks---that seems doable and more in line with what I was thinking---3, 5, 7, 10 and 15 yards are good ranges. Anything beyond 15 yards and you're explaining to a jury why you shot the criminal or suspect.
    Do I start with the State police then where do I go for qualification? PA? NJ only?
    I got this from njgunforums.com:
    https://gunforhire.com/nj-ccw-permit/

Yes. Folks outside New Jersey have to go through the NJ state police barracks that are physically closest to them.

(Delaware County)

Funny you should ask. I am taking the class for my NJ CCW on Thursday. But they only let you qualify with 2 carry guns.
    Don’t like me ???? Tough, I don’t give a flying f@@k about ya.

(Bucks County)

I've had mine since Aug of last year and carried on the OC Boardwalk over this Easter weekend - a bizarre but very enjoyable experience. My course last May in NJ (Tactical Training Center in Flemington NJ - recommend them highly) was more of a modified FBI qual course - from retention (3 yards) - strong hand only (5 yards) - draw and fire - draw fire and reload - two hands (10 yards) - draw and fire - go to one knee and fire 2 hands (15 yards) / 15 yards max on the qualification - need to hit 40 /50 on Q target to pass - knowing Jersey - probably changed since them.
    Last edited by prospero1919; April 1st, 2024 at 04:11 PM.

(Chester County)

I got mine a few months back and now routinely legally carry in NJ. I used Vinco Training who holds courses at Kings in KOP and some other locations in Eastern PA. I believe you still need to complete an approved training class and provide the certificate of completion for the application. My training class was two days long. Not sure if that is still required.

The shooting qualification has changed for the better. When I passed, you needed to shoot HQC-2 which required shooting from standing, kneeling, strong hand and weak hand. All from the holster and under time constraints, except for weak hand. Various courses of fire were required from 1 yd to 15 yards. It was challenging but doable. Most but not all passed.

Now, the shooting course of fire has simplified and I have heard there is no more weak hand shooting and no more shooting from the kneeling position. Times have either been lengthened or eliminated completely. Not sure. Still draw from the holster.

I can't swear this is all of it but in summary, from what I remember, you will need the training, shooting qualification with a passing score, fingerprints which can be done only at an Identicore location. There is one in the Exton/West Chester area. Other fingerprint vendors are not acceptable. Also need passport photos. All of this stuff is uploaded into the on-line NJ app. It sounds like a PIA but actually isn't too bad if you have all of your docs scanned and ready to upload. Total approval time was around three weeks or so, not including training classes, etc.

Also, you will need a NJ FID card which takes several weeks for approval and is also done on-line. The FID when approved gives you an SBI number which is REQUIRED for your CCW application. No other way to get it except via the FID process. If you have any specific questions, reach out and I will look up the answers in my file.

I had good success with Vinco Training. Chad and Clay do a great job! I am sure there are others but I used Vinco for both NJ and Maryland and both went through with no problems. Before it is all done, with training, shooting qual, prints, photos, and application fees, you will be in it around $400-500. It is what it is.

Also PS You do have to submit your application to the NJ State Police Barracks but you no longer have to go in person. That changed somewhere along in the process.
    Last edited by sbmania; April 1st, 2024 at 05:55 PM.

(Delaware County)

So for those non residents of NJ who have gotten and NJ carry license, how much was the total cost and how long to get it, including any hoops you had to jump through?

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by mikelets456 View Post
    I've talked to a few people and got conflicting reports on the process. Some stated it was minimal training (NRA safety course) and others stating it was shooting prone, left handed, right handed, 25 yards) and some stated it was somewhere in between. Also, they all stated they got their CCW in about 60 days. Please advise as I want to start this process with 5 family members and 2 friends.
    I've had mine for almost 14 months. I started a thread on it in 2023 when I got approved.

Myself and a friend recently became certified instructors and will be doing NJ CCW classes hopefully by the end of the month in the Philly area. I have a meeting with a range on Thursday and will hopefully have an agreement with them to host the classes monthly/bi-monthly.

https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=395143

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast