Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: Anyplace in south central PA I can shoot my shotgun for familiarization?

Quote Originally Posted by jayjack View Post
    I was thinking of that.
    But unsure of looking like an idiot before 5 people as I learn the mechanics and function of a weapon I never used before.
    Just don't pump it while squeezing the trigger.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Default Re: Anyplace in south central PA I can shoot my shotgun for familiarization?

Indoor ranges that permit shotguns?
    Wow. I didn't think that was a possibility and didn't look for such.
    thanks.
    The new indoor range in delco that just opened up prohibits bird shot, just slug and buck. Just a heads up.
    FJB

(Bucks County)

I was thinking of that.
    But unsure of looking like an idiot before 5 people as I learn the mechanics and function of a weapon I never used before.
    Don't worry about that......there are plenty of idiots at a public shoot.

Don't ever chamber a live round in your house but go thru the motions of racking the slide, pulling the trigger, and opening it. Then get to where you can open the chamber, pretend you are tossing a round in, and close it without thinking about it. Also learn where the release is to open the action without pulling the trigger on a live round. Most trap shoots only let you put one round in a a time anyway. Most of all practice safe handling with always pointing the shotgun down range then loading and after firing always holding the muzzle down with the chamber open without crossing anyone anyone.

Depending on the club some times are slow and often you are just shooting with a couple others or even alone at times. Talk to the guys and tell them your situation. Chances are good that someone will take you to an unused range and pull for you if it is slow and someone else will probably give you pointers. All of the clubs I was a member at would do this and be helpful. If they are consider joining the club.

I was thinking of that.
    Lots of places do open trap fridays and saturdays. Guns aren't hard. There's like 3 moving parts. Put the shell in, close the chamber, put to your shoulder, line up the sights, pull the trigger when the bird is in your sights. Talk to an old guy and ask if he has suggestions, you'll be there for an hour and I'm pretty sure he'll ask to see your gun and will gladly demo for you.
    iAnal

(Lehigh County)

C'mon man you don't need no stinking range 🤡

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    Don't worry about that......there are plenty of idiots at a public shoot.

Depending on the club some times are slow and often you are just shooting with a couple others or even alone at times. Talk to the guys and tell them your situation. Chances are good that someone will take you to an unused range and pull for you if it is slow and someone else will probably give you pointers. All of the clubs I was a member at would do this and be helpful. If they are consider joining the club.
    I will try that with my current club. I am brand new member and the website says "Absolutely no shotguns" but when I went to the range yesterday the sign says "Only slugs". So I will go with the sign.
    This morning I returned with my shotgun, no one else was there. In the range house I ran through loading and unloading drills.

I'll ask a club official if I can fire a few birdshot shells when I am alone again or I will just have to buy a box of slugs.

But just running through the mechanics without firing has been helpful.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12