Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Budget NV options, suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by arjohnson View Post
    That*s just throwing money away imo. I think the only cheap option right now is the new holosun that came out, going to be around 1k dollars and I can*t say for sure it*s worth that without personally seeing or trying one.

As for thermals, that*s going to be a minimum of 3k and probably more like 4K to get something decent.
    Its likely to get used infrequently. Hence why im willing to spend less and buy previously loved equipment or “budget” ebay options.

Im more inclined to buy a rangedfinder/computer first i think.

Ideally, i’d like to go to a night shoot and try something first before i throw down the cash to buy.

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by Woodwanderer View Post
    Its likely to get used infrequently. Hence why im willing to spend less and buy previously loved equipment or *budget* ebay options.

Im more inclined to buy a rangedfinder/computer first i think.

Ideally, i*d like to go to a night shoot and try something first before i throw down the cash to buy.
    I think the standard for night shoots is to have either goggles or a monocular and then have an IR laser mounted on the rifle. Night vision scopes are for hunting where you're going to be stationary. Since you can't use a rifle scope to move around, and you can't use goggles or a monocular with most rifle optics.
    Last edited by raxar; March 25th, 2024 at 05:39 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Have you considered a REALLY frickin' bright flashlight?

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    I think the standard for night shoots is to have either goggles or a monocular and then have an IR laser mounted on the rifle. Night vision scopes are for hunting where you're going to be stationary. Since you can't use a rifle scope to move around, and you can't use goggles or a monocular with most rifle optics.
    I see. The more research i do, it seems thermal scope with a head mounted NV is the way to go.

EM, i have a Millertech headlamp. Bright doesnt even begin to describe lol

(Tioga County)

I deal with night vision at work and train people on it for particular uses. I also deal with some newbies that are new to the tech and their brain has been wired from playing too many video games and watching movies. The reality is you are basically looking at a monochrome image of far less detail through what amounts to a toilet paper roll in field of view. Lots of folks end up disappointed.

When it comes to NV, first thing is to understand it's it is literally you spend X amount to get Y amount of features and ability and the more X you have, the more you get. I got to put on a $50K prototype pair of NVs and yeah, wow. I consider anything under $1k to be more gimmicky than anything with some of the big digital optics for rifles, OK, they can be passable and lots of folks make them work, especially under 100 yards. I know of a lot of Australian hunters that use the ATNs or PARDs and they work ok for pest control under 100 yards.

Also whether you deal with analog NV, digital NV or thermal, they all have their limitations. This is why the military is moving towards a blended head mounted analog and thermal unit. Analog is pretty maxed out in terms of the tech but it's not a battery hog like digital NV, so they blend the image with thermal or you can choose one or the other.

The issue with distance with NVs is contrast and resolution and how well your optic deals with light and the ability to intensify it. You will find being out in the open out west is going to be a different deal than the woods in PA.

The "Hop" channel on YT, he plays around with a lot of night optic stuff so you may want to check out many of those videos. They might be a wake up call between your expectations and the reality.

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    I deal with night vision at work and train people on it for particular uses. I also deal with some newbies that are new to the tech and their brain has been wired from playing too many video games and watching movies. The reality is you are basically looking at a monochrome image of far less detail through what amounts to a toilet paper roll in field of view. Lots of folks end up disappointed.

When it comes to NV, first thing is to understand it's it is literally you spend X amount to get Y amount of features and ability and the more X you have, the more you get. I got to put on a $50K prototype pair of NVs and yeah, wow. I consider anything under $1k to be more gimmicky than anything with some of the big digital optics for rifles, OK, they can be passable and lots of folks make them work, especially under 100 yards. I know of a lot of Australian hunters that use the ATNs or PARDs and they work ok for pest control under 100 yards.

Also whether you deal with analog NV, digital NV or thermal, they all have their limitations. This is why the military is moving towards a blended head mounted analog and thermal unit. Analog is pretty maxed out in terms of the tech but it's not a battery hog like digital NV, so they blend the image with thermal or you can choose one or the other.

The issue with distance with NVs is contrast and resolution and how well your optic deals with light and the ability to intensify it. You will find being out in the open out west is going to be a different deal than the woods in PA.

The "Hop" channel on YT, he plays around with a lot of night optic stuff so you may want to check out many of those videos. They might be a wake up call between your expectations and the reality.
    Thanks, thats what i needed to hear

I completely expect a $500 ebay setup to be just that…good enough to get by for 150yds max (since its chinese and they like to list them at double what they actually can accomplish). Tbh, im likely to not shoot out to 300+ often. Not that good of a shot and dont like wasting ammo, was raised on 1 shot ethical kills when it comes to hunting game.

Thermal ATN with NV monocular seems like the way to go. Can always move the vortex sonora over to the 5.56 for dmr shoots or daytime use on the ar308. If it something i like, i can always save up for a better optic in the future.

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by Woodwanderer View Post
    Thanks, thats what i needed to hear

I completely expect a $500 ebay setup to be just that*good enough to get by for 150yds max (since its chinese and they like to list them at double what they actually can accomplish). Tbh, im likely to not shoot out to 300+ often. Not that good of a shot and dont like wasting ammo, was raised on 1 shot ethical kills when it comes to hunting game.

Thermal ATN with NV monocular seems like the way to go. Can always move the vortex sonora over to the 5.56 for dmr shoots or daytime use on the ar308. If it something i like, i can always save up for a better optic in the future.
    Well if you don't have any experience with these things, my recommendation is buy the best you can afford and then just get stuck into it and start getting that experience. You can always sell it off later and buy something different. A lot of times these days that's how I roll, I just toss myself into whatever and get the experience, with the experience you learn all the nuances and then with that you can refine everything for the future.

I'm very fortunate that for 15 years I have been able to do all the night optic work I have done and get that experience. I learned a lot but am learning new stuff all the time and also the technology is evolving as well.

Thats probably about what im going to end up doing. Although i think im going to start with an IR rangefinder first and a can then revisit this. The urge for a 30cal can is strong with this one

(Washington County)

Carrots
    Fortune fingers the fearless

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I just saw a night vision gadget at Walmart on clearance for $90. Looked like a monocular type thing.
    Reg price was $220 I believe.
    Need a gazillion other things more than I need that, so it's still there.
    OK. It's marked down to $50 now.

Would it be a complete waste of money?
    Not for shooting. Just to look for wildlife and such at night.
    Fun toy, or waste of fifty bucks?

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast