Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Quantity or quality?

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Just me personally, I only sell guns if I get into a pinch. I tend to collect more than I shoot, not so much for monetary investments, more so for fulfilling a desire. Some people collect knick knacks, tennis shoes, or other trinkets - I collect things that go bang. lol

Now, if I were to win the Powerball - there is a good chance I'd have Holland & Holland, or Merkel, or some other expensive double rifle or SxS shotgun made of me. But until then, a Saturday Night Special/Ring-of-Fire piece will make me smile and give me a small dopamine fix without buyers remorse.

There are times I'll buy a cheap "project gun" with the intent to have a winter project to work on. ...something really cheap needing parts, refinishing, stocks made, etc. Now, getting around to doing such projects is another story. lol My Iver Johnson 55A .22 revolver I bought 15yrs ago is still waiting its turn.
    I sell some but not often. When I do it*s usually one I can easily sell and get a good return on, can*t do that often with home builds and cheaper stuff without taking a big loss.
    Today was a good day!

(Northumberland County)

Quantity > quality, but there is a floor too. I don't need fancy, but reliability is a must

Just me personally, I only sell guns if I get into a pinch. I tend to collect more than I shoot, not so much for monetary investments, more so for fulfilling a desire. Some people collect knick knacks, tennis shoes, or other trinkets - I collect things that go bang. lol
    I've never sold a gun, I really have no intent to sell any unless something major would happen. I mainly do it to collect as well, I figure I'll get to pass along some really sweet stuff to my daughter. Hopefully she will be into guns and keeps them, if not she can enjoy selling off my collection.

I think it's important to have 1-2 high quality rifles, and 8-10 that are good enough. I don't think DD is 5x better than PSA, despite the price being 5x higher. Just like I don't think eotech is 2x better than holosun, despite the price. But a gucci gun is nice to have if you can afford it, otherwise middle of the road will more than likely be fine.

However, the best guns are worthless if you have shit ammo or no ammo at all.
    iAnal

(Warren County)

My vehicles get me from A to B and some are moderately decent looking.

My guns go bang.
    I'm not investing much of my after-tax income on name brand stuff.

I could sell a few of my guns, but I don't think the income now offsets the probable value later.

The future looks ugly to me:
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Washington County)

That hobby can get expensive.

We have a family friend that collects cartridges. He's spent $500 on single cartridges. He has a 15'x15' area of his basement with cabinets, stands, and display cases of such. I know he's gotten a number of them on the cheap, but there has to be plenty he forked out more than what you can buy a couple guns for. He's got some really weird shit like some triple necked cartridges.
    I've probably seen him at a cartridge show, since the shows are so small.

Rare cartridges can sell for thousands. I don't think I have anything worth $500 but I have a handful of things in the $100-$300 range.

I have one small curio cabinet with my collection packed into it. If I had more room, I would love to spread it out and label everything, but I'm out of space for now.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by JoshIronshaft View Post

Rare cartridges can sell for thousands. I don't think I have anything worth $500 but I have a handful of things in the $100-$300 range.

I have one small curio cabinet with my collection packed into it. If I had more room, I would love to spread it out and label everything, but I'm out of space for now.
    That*s crazy what some of that stuff goes for. I*m no ammo collector but have some old stuff. 9mm nyclad, Norma 44 mag power cavity and some S&W armor piercing slugs.

Today was a good day!

(Centre County)

I like well made firearms and I would have loved to have had few of the higher quality ones but never had the money to get one (married, 2 kids, in the USAF for 26 yrs). But I collect Rugers (and show them at different guns shows that Ruger collectors get invited to) and I am quite happy with what I have. I do have 15 handguns and rifles that are not Rugers (vs 150+ Rugers) and some are pretty nice (SIG P229 in .40 S&W, SIG 1911 Scorpion, M1 Garand, M1A Springfield Armory) but am now at the age that I take a REALLY hard look to determine if I am going to buy anything that won't really fit into my collection. I tell my kids that my collection is their inheritance
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by JoshIronshaft View Post

You quite possibly have. Harold Wilson is his name. A great guy! He helped facilitate my inheritance from my dad(guns/ammo).
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Butler County)

Seen a video of a guy shooting a Wison Combat 45. Thousands of dollar gun. 5 shots hit 5 plates.
    Stock Glock 45. 5-600 dollar gun. 5 shots hit 5 plates. Granted the 1911 will probably shoot a little tighter but
    1 Wilson or 5 Glocks?

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast