Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default want to buy a p22 with a silencer

i was looking at a p22 on another forum for sale with a threaded barrel. i was woundering:

What does a "silencer" cost for a p22?

what hoops am i going to have to jump through?

How much are these hoops going to cost me?

How long are these hoops going to cost?

here a hypothetical

i think i saw a p22 with silencer on a forum for $500 so lets say i contacted the guy and i wanted to buy it. what steps do i have to take?and how much more than 500 is it going to cost...

a little about myself

24 yrs old
    1 DUI that has been expunged so my record supposedly appears clean
    i have had my ltcf been about 2.5 years now
    i have 3 handguns and 2 - .22lr rifles havet ever had trouble passing the backround checks for any of them

thanks very much for the help
    Last edited by xXWildPonyXx; December 1st, 2008 at 11:05 AM.

(Blair County)

Default Re: want to buy a p22 with a silencer

cant tell you how to buy them off an individual. I was talking to one of the shops here this is what they told me. The supressor cost around 250. I would put it on lay away, fill out the paperwork, pay the 200 tax, wait about four months. Then pay off the supressor when all of my paper work came back.

now a .22 silencer will work on any 22 with a threaded barrel? like will it also work on my mossberg 702 plinkster if i somehow threaded the barel?

Yep. Just has to be the same thread pattern.
    http://www.pafoa.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=8855&dateline=1222904  944
    Acacia Lodge #452 F&AM, Savannah, GA

Georgiacarry.org supporting member

was just reading on creating a trust. is this a faster way? since from what i read since the cleo doesnmt have to sign ? what is the cost of starting a trust?

is this the best option?

up-sides?

down-sides?

(Lehigh County)

Call it a Suppressor (or a "Can").

For you to buy from an individual (IN STATE), you have to fill out the Form 4 and pay the $200 transfer tax. That includes getting a professionally done (per some dealers...by trying to do it yourself with an ink pad, you are likely to get a poor impression) set of fingerprints. Once the Form 4 comes back (you paid the "Tax" and get a stamp on the paperwork), you can take possession of the suppressor. Most guys are going to want 1/2 of the $ down on the suppressor. If it is attached to the pistol, you have to go through the dealer to transfer the pistol (as you would with any handgun in PA). If you buy from an individual out of state, he has to transfer it to a dealer in PA who then transfers it to you (so you would pay 2 taxes for 2 x Form 4 Transfers).

Form 3 is a "Tax Paid" transfer (dealer to dealer--these dealers are SOT 'special occupational tax' dealers...basically they pay $500 to the gov. to cover all their transfers for the year).

Form 4 is a "Tax Due" transfer...from the dealer to an individual (who has to pay the $200 transfer tax).

A couple of pointers....
    You will get your $$ back out of any suppressor as long as you keep it in good shape...but you lose the $200 transfer tax. Probably want to buy a good quality can and take good care of it. Eventually, it will likely go up in value enough to recover what you paid into the transfer tax (but that will likely take years).

If you are buying from an individual..be careful. You don't get the suppressor for several months while the Form 4 is being processed. Make sure you trust the guy to be sure he won't get rid of the can (or damage it) before you get possession.

AFARR