Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Website idea…

(Cumberland County)

Default Website idea…

So giving contemplation to something and would like someone on here to tell me that it’s stupid or illegal. I am in the constant search for guns that are essentially above my price range. It is a sad realization that I have lived with for 20 years of adult life, and wanting things I cannot have in various avenues. I have done countless Firemans raffles, and things of the sort with a hope of winning one or two of the guns on the list. Of course, I have won several things that raffles, but never the one or two that I was hoping for.

This leaves me at my current thought which I need someone to tell me is illegal or stupid. The inverse of that is I would love to hear if people would be interested in such a thing. Thought would be to build a website, offer, high-end guns in theory in a raffle basis. For instance, if the Gun cost 2000 thousand dollars sell 200 at $10 apiece or something to the effect. The idea would be based around theoretical real odds as the raffled item would only end up bringing in the MSRP total. I can think of thousands of times I would have joined a raffle of similar concepts, and then elated at getting conceptual real odds of winning. Does someone know that this is illegal in Pennsylvania, does this sound like something that would buy tickets for? worst case scenario would be to have 10 people buy tickets and have the gun sit forever waiting on it to sell out but thinking that advertising on forums etc. it’s availability might generate enough interest to move tickets and get some lucky people some toys that are out of typical budgets.

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Website idea…

Seems like a lot of work for an individual or individuals to manage for just a chance of receiving something. As we all know raffles are typically done to generate income for a cause of some sort. If ran correctly they provide this irregardless of having a winning ticket. Effort = benefit. Your idea, effort = possible benefit. I guess the odds and benefit would dictate whether it would be worth it.

(Cumberland County)

I very much appreciate the response. Success or failure of the idea I itself is not so much the wonder as really, you never can tell until you give it a whirl. I would not imagine it to be something of wild success, but more so my question would be whether such an endeavor is conceptually legal. It seems like if it were legally able to exist already it likely would

(Berks County)

I wonder if it doesn't fall under small games of chance and regulated by law. I think churches and clubs have to have licenses and have certain qualifications for their raffles. I might be wrong though.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I wonder if it doesn't fall under small games of chance and regulated by law. I think churches and clubs have to have licenses and have certain qualifications for their raffles. I might be wrong though.
    Just say it's for the illegals.
    FJB

(Cumberland County)

Definitely correct in the traditional raffle like the fireman etc. that there is a license and it is for charity. My wonder is if that is because they bring in much more money than they they give out. Wondering if keeping total proceeds at or below MSRP has an effect in the law. Probably a talk to have with a lawyer but don*t think it*s worth the $300 to be told it*s illegal.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Thedude5469 View Post
    So giving contemplation to something and would like someone on here to tell me that it*s stupid or illegal. I am in the constant search for guns that are essentially above my price range. It is a sad realization that I have lived with for 20 years of adult life, and wanting things I cannot have in various avenues. I have done countless Firemans raffles, and things of the sort with a hope of winning one or two of the guns on the list. Of course, I have won several things that raffles, but never the one or two that I was hoping for.

This leaves me at my current thought which I need someone to tell me is illegal or stupid. The inverse of that is I would love to hear if people would be interested in such a thing. Thought would be to build a website, offer, high-end guns in theory in a raffle basis. For instance, if the Gun cost 2000 thousand dollars sell 200 at $10 apiece or something to the effect. The idea would be based around theoretical real odds as the raffled item would only end up bringing in the MSRP total. I can think of thousands of times I would have joined a raffle of similar concepts, and then elated at getting conceptual real odds of winning. Does someone know that this is illegal in Pennsylvania, does this sound like something that would buy tickets for? worst case scenario would be to have 10 people buy tickets and have the gun sit forever waiting on it to sell out but thinking that advertising on forums etc. it*s availability might generate enough interest to move tickets and get some lucky people some toys that are out of typical budgets.
    Small Games of Chance licenses are only available to non-profit organizations, certain taverns/bars, and certain sporting venues. Of those taverns/bars, and sporting venues - a certain percentage of the proceeds must be then distributed to charitable groups.

They are audited too to make sure said charitable donations are made. We have a bar here in town with a small games of chance license, and they have to donate a sizable portion to charitable things(those audit reports are available online).

A regular Joe Schmo is NOT going to be able to get a games of chance license, and if you're selling your guns as part of a website, you'll fall within federal law as a "dealer" - thus needing a FFL. ...because that will sure as fuck look like a business.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Bucks County)

You know, it's funny. If the government does it it's called lottery, raffle.Etc.
    If you do it it's called Running Numbers and you get a visit from the bunco squad.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Berks County)

Get a credit card. Buy a gun. Pay off the card. Do it again and again and again. Eat Ramin noodles and drink plenty of water. If you get married or are, put her to work. Kids, the same thing. Deliver pizza on your free time. I believe in you. You can do it. Hang a picture of cruzans in your car for motivation.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Chester County)

My gun club ran a raffle for three guns, 1st prize a rifle, 2nd prize a shotgun, and 3rd prize a pistol.

The challenge was getting members to sell enough raffle tickets to generate a profit. I think we broke even on the cost of the firearms and money generated.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast