Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Website idea…

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Website idea…

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    Get a credit card. Buy a gun. Pay off the card. Do it again and again and again. Eat Ramin noodles and drink plenty of water. If you get married or are, put her to work. Kids, the same thing. Deliver pizza on your free time. I believe in you. You can do it. Hang a picture of cruzans in your car for motivation.
    All aspects fine and reasonable advice. Should have said that I am fortunate enough to now be in a space to have essentially everything I could reasonably want. Still like the idea of gambling on things that I don*t need, but would love to have. I can no longer justify spending another couple grand on a gun as I just don*t need it but spending $20 on the chance sounds like a sweet deal, I wish it were a possibility which is the main reason I am exploring the question. Wondering now if it is a limitation based on geographical location in Pennsylvania. Of course, FL would be your requirement but not something that is absent feasibility. If it took driving to Maryland to open up a theoretical storefront, it would not be out of the question given the means.

(Washington County)

There is an FFL in my area who uses a pull tab type of ticket to raffle off guns on social media. Usually one gun of higher value, with a low buy in and enough slots that they make a couple bucks. It probably isn't "legal" but they've been doing it for at least a year. That's basically what you're imagining. There used to be a guy on snap chat of all the places who was doing optics and accessories raffles every weekend. I won some red dots playing his game. 9minded on Instagram raffles off high end night vision every Friday night at 9pm.

The funny thing is, I've seen several times, that the winner is a person who buys 1/2 the available slots to give themselves a 50% chance of winning. Yes they end up paying 50% instead of $10 or whatever but they still got it 50% off. Sucks if you don't win though. Even more money wasted.

Personally, I'm over raffles and gun bashes.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Allegheny County)

The solution to wanting stuff you can't afford is to adjust your expectations in life such that you are happy with what you have and stop lusting for more and more stuff, in an endless quest that can never be satisfied.

My wife and I can afford to live "a lot better than we do." I live in a small, dumpy house that only cost less than 100% of our income at the time and is worth less than 100% or current annual income. I drive a 17 year old vehicle and ride a 15 year old scooter. I have no boats, quads, snowmachines, RVs, or other expensive rolling toys. I have no "recreational" properties. I have a few modest guns, nothing special. The last one was bought maybe 11 years ago. I wear basic clothes. I don't have much in the way of "fancy things", and I don't spend much time thinking about the shit I could buy and finding a place to store it. I neither want nor need more "stuff". Sure, I will splurge once in a while, but for the most part, I'm really not out there buying stuff...and it is satisfying.

A good guide as to determining what you should buy is estimating how often you will use it. I spent $1700 on a desktop computer recently. I use it every day, all day, M-F and sometimes on weekends. What about $1700 gun? How often would I have to use that to decide it's something I should buy? What's the threshold? Once a year? Once a month? Once a week? What's reasonable? The answer will vary, but there just is no way I could justify having that in my life, no matter how easily I could afford it. This approach is what keeps me from wanting and buying a bunch of stuff that I totally do not need and would likely rarely use, and certainly not missing owning.

Summary: people think they own stuff, when generally it ends up owning them.

As for your "raffle", yeah, that would be illegal for you.
    Last edited by free; March 16th, 2024 at 05:39 AM.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    The solution to wanting stuff you can't afford is to adjust your expectations in life such that you are happy with what you have and stop lusting for more and more stuff, in an endless quest that can never be satisfied.

My wife and I can afford to live "a lot better than we do." I live in a small, dumpy house that only cost less than 100% of our income at the time and is worth less than 100% or current annual income. I drive a 17 year old vehicle and ride a 15 year old scooter. I have no boats, quads, snowmachines, RVs, or other expensive rolling toys. I have no "recreational" properties. I have a few modest guns, nothing special. The last one was bought maybe 11 years ago. I wear basic clothes. I don't have much in the way of "fancy things", and I don't spend much time thinking about the shit I could buy and finding a place to store it. I neither want nor need more "stuff". Sure, I will splurge once in a while, but for the most part, I'm really not out there buying stuff...and it is satisfying.

A good guide as to determining what you should buy is estimating how often you will use it. I spent $1700 on a desktop computer recently. I use it every day, all day, M-F and sometimes on weekends. What about $1700 gun? How often would I have to use that to decide it's something I should buy? What's the threshold? Once a year? Once a month? Once a week? What's reasonable? The answer will vary, but there just is no way I could justify having that in my life, no matter how easily I could afford it. This approach is what keeps me from wanting and buying a bunch of stuff that I totally do not need and would likely rarely use, and certainly not missing owning.

Summary: people think they own stuff, when generally it ends up owning them.

As for your "raffle", yeah, that would be illegal for you.
    Heavens indeed. I appreciate the moral life lessons! Again all reasonable and appreciated.
    Once my hybrid 46 clears atf I will be fresh out of wants personally. This question was geared more towards understanding how sites hold raffles for guns as is.. Believe at this point they do so illegally. 20 year old me would have loved to be in good raffles, 40 year old me could find the site to appease the 20 year old version. As is typical in America, most things worth doing have been done to death or are illegal.

(Montgomery County)

I'm 74 had all the toys you mentioned. Used to take my boat to the keys in the winter. Worked hard played harder wouldn't change a thing. ANy issues I have now were caused by things out of my control mostly the Goverment. Lived within my means but tried to live a life. I still buy guns although I have sent most of my toys down the road since I really can't use some of them. Shoot at least twice a week spend way more then I probally should but at 74 why not. We only go around once and all the saving and doing without won't change that. I have more then enough to fund my life till it's over the family can have what's left my memories of the places and things have made my knowing it's coming to an end eventually not a troubling thought. Been a hell of a ride

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Thedude5469 View Post
    All aspects fine and reasonable advice. Should have said that I am fortunate enough to now be in a space to have essentially everything I could reasonably want. Still like the idea of gambling on things that I don*t need, but would love to have. I can no longer justify spending another couple grand on a gun as I just don*t need it but spending $20 on the chance sounds like a sweet deal, I wish it were a possibility which is the main reason I am exploring the question. Wondering now if it is a limitation based on geographical location in Pennsylvania. Of course, FL would be your requirement but not something that is absent feasibility. If it took driving to Maryland to open up a theoretical storefront, it would not be out of the question given the means.
    50 $20 tickets with the likelihood of never winning versus spending $1000 for a guarantee of ownership. Save that $20 weekly for a year and buy the gun. I think you may have a gambling addiction, lol.

(Just kidding)

(Cumberland County)

This was not meant to be a thread based on lessons of morality or responsibility. I understand that gambling is gambling.
    The basic premise of understanding my mindset as a young man, and understanding that were this something to be legally arranged, it would be met with success by similar minded people and occasionally I would make someone extremely happy. It seems legally speaking it is a gray area dependent on which state site resides in. Again the question posed is essentially is there a way to do it legally and I think I found my answer. .t was approaching it more from the respect of the person that will build and fund the site rather than being a customer, but also approaching it from the mindset of the customer, and pondering its legitimacy* it is unfortunate that we live in a world which illegal things are made legal if the system is worked, and things are worded in a certain way. I do not appreciate or enjoy the fact that our reality is such. While that is true, it is also true that we are all in part of that system and in this reality. I do not believe myself to ever be in any position to change the system in any real way, only option left is to play the game as effectively as possible or accept losing.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Thedude5469 View Post
    Heavens indeed. I appreciate the moral life lessons!
    Economics, not morality.

I don't see spending money as an issue of morality.

I don't see gambling that way either.

I think a "more legal" way to do what you want is run an auction where people pay per bid. They exist for other things.
    Last edited by free; March 16th, 2024 at 06:34 PM.

(York County)

This already exists. It is run by GunBros.com and they call it Gun Tickets

https://gunbros.com/product-category/guntalks/

The difference is that they put ordinary affordable guns on there. They have a Glock 17 for $65 chances and limit the entries to 10. So from their perspective they are selling a $500 gun for $650 (if they sell out the tickets)

The OP's idea of higher end items like a Barrett .50 or something would be a slightly different market. If you had a $5000 gun (retail price) you'd need to sell 100 tickets at $50 just to be normally profitable at MSRP. But gun stores aren't profitable on single sales. It's a volume business.

So I think this would be legally because it's already being done

I think there is an untapped market for higher end guns to do this

I don't think there is enough of a market to make this a profitable venture

If you're looking at higher end guns one other thing to consider is the cost of everything on top of the gun. My $4,200 Scar 20s quickly became a $7k+ gun after getting a scope/rings/bipod/monopod and extra magazines + ongoing ammo costs.

For raffles I've pretty much stopped entering them for guns as most seem to just be cheap guns. I have no desire to spend $10 on a ticket to have a 1 in 20,000 shot of wining a $500 Glock. On the other hand I will enter a raffle if it's say $20/ticket for a 1 in 100 shot to win a single nicer gun.

If you want to find raffles like that I'd recommend checking out the NWTF. They do annual events that include dinner, live auction and various gun raffles. Some might be single raffle options others might be towards selecting 1 of 10 guns etc.

You can search events here - https://your.nwtf.org/members/events/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast