Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default LTC: Berks County & reference requirement

I have a friend (former co-worker) who recently moved into Berks county, and Berks denied him a License to Carry (LTC) permit even though he had one from Montgomery County. I was under the impression they were valid state-wide.

Looks like Berks won't issue a concealed carry license without letters of reference from Berks residents. What options are there for people who move in out of state?

Wasn't the NICS check supposed to replace the reference letter phase?

Per Berks Co. Application here:

You must have the Reference Questionnaires (2) filled-out by your References and returned with your application. References should be Berks County residents and cannot be family members.
    What's the deal? Can immigrants to Berks get LTCs or not?

(Berks County)

Default Re: LTC: Berks County & reference requirement

I moved to Berks from NJ, and I was able to get an LTC.

Note that their application says references SHOULD be Berks county resident, not MUST. Prior to applying, I called the Sheriff's Office and asked them that question point blank:

Me: "Your application states that references SHOULD be in-county resident, but MUST they be? The word "should" does not imply that this is mandatory; are you stating in-county references are desirable or are a requirement?"

Sheriff's Office: "Where do your references live and what is your relationship to them?"

Me: "They are residents of Lehigh and Montgomery counties, and both are co-workers."

Sheriff's Office: "You should have no problem."

In fact, not only did I not have a problem, but neither of my references were contacted.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

I also had no such problems when I got my LTC in Reading. One of my references was a friend who lives in PA, but not in Berks county. The other was a past co-worker/friend who lives in Massachusetts.

I'm getting wildly varying reports about the general demeanor of the Berks County Sheriff with respect to permit issuance.

My friend writes:

I think it was about 2001 ... I definitely remember talking with the Berks Sheriff back then and he told me that the references “must” be in Berks County. I told him that I don’t know anybody there and he basically said “too bad” even though I showed him my old permit.
    According to the Berks County Sheriff's history web page, that should have been the current Sheriff Barry J. Jozwiak or someone acting in his behalf (Deputy, etc).

That said, what recourse does he have in lieu of Berks references? Yes, I've encouraged him to sign up here, he's definitely one of us.

(Berks County)

I got mine in 2003, both of my references were from Schuykill county....go figure?
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA Rifleman View Post
    I have a friend (former co-worker) who recently moved into Berks county, and Berks denied him a License to Carry (LTC) permit even though he had one from Montgomery County. I was under the impression they were valid state-wide.

Looks like Berks won't issue a concealed carry license without letters of reference from Berks residents. What options are there for people who move in out of state?

Wasn't the NICS check supposed to replace the reference letter phase?

Per Berks Co. Application here:

What's the deal? Can immigrants to Berks get LTCs or not?
    What did his denial letter say?

(Berks County)

One of my references was not from Berks, had no problem. Yes the permits are good state-wide. I recommend he go to the sheriff's station and take his existing permit to talk to them about the problem.

(Berks County)

PA Rifleman,

You mentioned in your original post:

I have a friend (former co-worker) who recently moved into Berks county, and Berks denied him a License to Carry (LTC) permit even though he had one from Montgomery County.
    Did he have two references, or only the one? He could have been denied because he only had once reference instead of two required.

And yes, permits are valid state-wide once issued.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post
    Did he have two references, or only the one?
    Apparently this was an excerpt from a pre-application conversation between my friend and the Berks Co Sheriff.

He had moved from Montogomery to Berks County. The Berks County Sheriff verbally refused to accept references from persons residing outside Berks County. Since he just moved to Berks, he didn't know anyone, therefore no permit.

He writes:

When I moved to Berks County several years ago, they refused to renew my permit to carry (15 years in Montgomery County) on the basis that I could not provide 3 personal references that reside in Berks County that I knew for at least 2 years. ... And how are you supposed to know anybody in a new area that you just moved into?

(Berks County)

Apparently this was an excerpt from a pre-application conversation between my friend and the Berks Co Sheriff.

He had moved from Montogomery to Berks County. The Berks County Sheriff verbally refused to accept references from persons residing outside Berks County. Since he just moved to Berks, he didn't know anyone, therefore no permit.

He writes:
    Tell him to apply and see what happens. I haven't heard of anyone else having problems with references who are not in Berks County. Did his Montgomery permit expire? If not, it is still valid if you move.