Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default Colt Lightning 44-40

Any Colt rifle experts? What do you think about a Colt Lightning in 44-40. My friend in Spain is offering to me for $2,500. From what I've seen it's a very good price, but how good and worth it? Because of age wouldn't be import marked to ship to me.

"Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Colt Lightning 44-40

One of my grails but I gave up my search. Couldn't justify the cost.

(Bucks County)

Not a chance without a hands on inspection.
    I don't know much about firearm imports but pretty sure he can't just box it up and send it.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Cumberland County)

^ he's in the business so he knows what to do. I've received numerous from him - takes a long time to clear Spanish laws/customs, US ATF and customs, then to his FFL Stateside then to my FFL. I always have to wait a while. And he has always taken care of me and always offers money back if not happy - not worried about that
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Berks County)

Buy it. You're cruzans for f sake lol. I'd buy it. I have an uberti.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Elk County)

The Lightning was Colt's response to Winchester leverguns, because when Colt introduced the short lived Colt Burgess leveraction rifle, Oliver Winchester told Colt to either pull the Burgess, or there would soon be Winchester sixguns on the market. So Colt whipped up pump action rifles. Problem was and still is, the Lightning was problematic. Partly a design issue, partly a.hand fitted assembly issue, partly a stacked tolerance issue, some examples functioned, others did not. In that particular frame size, the 38-40 had the reputation for relative reliability, but the 44-40 had the rep for spotty functionality issues, particularly feeding and cartridge under the lifter jams which required partial disassembly to clear. These issues carried forward to the modern Uberti/Beretta, Pedersoli, Taurus, and USFA reproductions, particularly in 45 Colt. Seemingly the larger the cartridge diameter and the more cylindrical the case, the more poorly the Lightning would function. Original Lightnings in 25-20, 32-20, and 38-40 would function as a rule, with random exceptions. Of the modern repros, the Pedersoli had the best reputation, but they still got so many guns back the ceased production. Taurus Lightnings had the worst rep, with Uberti/Beretta Lightnings some better, but only those in 357. The 45 Colts suck; I know, I once owned a Taurus, Uberti, and Beretta in 45 Colt and they were not reliable. You had the best chance if you ran them like you stole them. A close friend and Colt collector.has a few original Lightnings in 44-40 and only one runs decently, the rare time he actually shoots them.

Personally, I would not tie $2000 up in an original 44-40 Lightning, even if you plan on it being a wall hanger. My policy is that any piece in my collection MUST function first, and preferably be accurate. There's a good chance that the Lightning in question may not be either, or even both. If you want a wall hanger, find a Taurus or Uberti/Berstta.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    Buy it. You're cruzans for f sake lol. I'd buy it. I have an uberti.
    LOL!

He's already bought it.

Look. They loaded his gun order all on one side and it's tipping the ship!

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

If you just want an expensive wall hanger, go for it. The Lightnings were never known for their reliability. Not the originals, not the clones. Guys in SASS tried to make them work, and very few were ever successful.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    The Lightning was Colt's response to Winchester leverguns, because when Colt introduced the short lived Colt Burgess leveraction rifle, Oliver Winchester told Colt to either pull the Burgess, or there would soon be Winchester sixguns on the market. So Colt whipped up pump action rifles. Problem was and still is, the Lightning was problematic. Partly a design issue, partly a.hand fitted assembly issue, partly a stacked tolerance issue, some examples functioned, others did not. In that particular frame size, the 38-40 had the reputation for relative reliability, but the 44-40 had the rep for spotty functionality issues, particularly feeding and cartridge under the lifter jams which required partial disassembly to clear. These issues carried forward to the modern Uberti/Beretta, Pedersoli, Taurus, and USFA reproductions, particularly in 45 Colt. Seemingly the larger the cartridge diameter and the more cylindrical the case, the more poorly the Lightning would function. Original Lightnings in 25-20, 32-20, and 38-40 would function as a rule, with random exceptions. Of the modern repros, the Pedersoli had the best reputation, but they still got so many guns back the ceased production. Taurus Lightnings had the worst rep, with Uberti/Beretta Lightnings some better, but only those in 357. The 45 Colts suck; I know, I once owned a Taurus, Uberti, and Beretta in 45 Colt and they were not reliable. You had the best chance if you ran them like you stole them. A close friend and Colt collector.has a few original Lightnings in 44-40 and only one runs decently, the rare time he actually shoots them.

Personally, I would not tie $2000 up in an original 44-40 Lightning, even if you plan on it being a wall hanger. My policy is that any piece in my collection MUST function first, and preferably be accurate. There's a good chance that the Lightning in question may not be either, or even both. If you want a wall hanger, find a Taurus or Uberti/Berstta.

Noah
    ^^^What Noah said^^^

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    If you just want an expensive wall hanger, go for it. The Lightnings were never known for their reliability. Not the originals, not the clones. Guys in SASS tried to make them work, and very few were ever successful.
    What Ronin said ^^^.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast