Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Anyone dealt with bats in their house?

A welcome home after a week away in Arizona - a brown bat in my sink We had a late arrival and we were so tired --- Walking into the kitchen late at night - I leaned up close thinking i left some fruit and it spoiled and went dark till i saw the foot omg we had one in the fall in our bathroom side closet that has a laundry chute and assumed it came in the basement and up the chute somehow to sit on some clothing ready to be dropped down the chute husband was sure it was a prank by me (love to do them) as it was getting close the Halloween and i had just mentioned the spirit store while sitting outside on the porch we have kayaks and assumed it flew in somehow with our gear while loading or unloading but now....... I see we were wrong on that thought

Is there remediation people that would not cost us a small fortune ? We have 2 full of bins and things attic in this small cape cod so its going to be a tough one to see anything I am now freaked they are hiding in areas all over that i will find by accident at some point 0-: this one was also still alive so we took it as set on the wood pile outside

(Berks County)

Default Re: Anyone dealt with bats in their house?

Quote Originally Posted by Just1more View Post
    A welcome home after a week away in Arizona - a brown bat in my sink We had a late arrival and we were so tired --- Walking into the kitchen late at night - I leaned up close thinking i left some fruit and it spoiled and went dark till i saw the foot omg we had one in the fall in our bathroom side closet that has a laundry chute and assumed it came in the basement and up the chute somehow to sit on some clothing ready to be dropped down the chute husband was sure it was a prank by me (love to do them) as it was getting close the Halloween and i had just mentioned the spirit store while sitting outside on the porch we have kayaks and assumed it flew in somehow with our gear while loading or unloading but now....... I see we were wrong on that thought

Is there remediation people that would not cost us a small fortune ? We have 2 full of bins and things attic in this small cape cod so its going to be a tough one to see anything I am now freaked they are hiding in areas all over that i will find by accident at some point 0-: this one was also still alive so we took it as set on the wood pile outside
    dealing with Bats can be a nightmare because they protected federally. your going to want someone who is licensed to deal with them. we had a friend that had them and couldn't do remediation during birthing season.

(Berks County)

One could get in accidentally through a chimney, more than one indicates an entrance somewhere. I've had some loners make it in over the years and I just caught them with my fishing net and put them outside. My neighbor had them in his attic and got some kind of netting that he put over the entrance that let them out but wouldn't let them back in. IMO, that's the ticket because you don't want to close them in. If you can get them out that way, then you can close their entrance. Hopefully, you can get them out of there quickly and solve your problem.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Bucks County)

First thing you need to do is find where the are getting into your attic and how many. This is what an exterminator does and you can save yourself a lot of money finding out before you call them. Look around for obvious holes (they can be small) then when it gets warmer start looking 1/2 hour before sunset to 1/2 hour after and see where they come out. If you are lucky they will be coming out of a wall where you can put a one way net like Walley mentioned.

Bats are protected and there are only certain times of the year where you can force them out. One is in the spring before they have babies and one in the fall where the babies are grown and it is still warm enough for them to find a new home. A reputable exterminator will not do anything in the summer or winter.

(Allegheny County)

dingbats are the worst!

Unknown.jpeg

(Berks County)

I have a friend who wouldn't let any laws stand in the way of him getting bats out of his house.

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

Bats can be carriers of rabies without showing the signs and symptoms. I have often seen people coming to the hospital emergency department where I work due to exposure to a bat.

Are you planning to have a bat BBQ or a bat gender reveal party? If not, then maybe the Events forum isn't the place for this sort of thing...

(Bucks County)

I used to get the occasional *there*s a bat in my house* call. I always tried to remove them without harming them.
    Every once in a while, that was not possible. For those occasions I resorted to the badminton racquet I kept in the trunk of my patrol car.
    Worked like a charm every damn time.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by cdi View Post
    I used to get the occasional *there*s a bat in my house* call. I always tried to remove them without harming them.
    Every once in a while, that was not possible. For those occasions I resorted to the badminton racquet I kept in the trunk of my patrol car.
    Worked like a charm every damn time.
    Shit man, all you needed was a fish or butterfly net.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast