Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

View Poll Results: Would you be willing to help moderate classifieds?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

27 90.00%
  • No

3 10.00%
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Replies to classified ads are now completely disabled (including your own)

A while back we disabled replies to other people's classified ads, as of now we have disabled replies to your own ads. This is because some people have been using it to "bump" their classifieds ads back to the top to the disadvantage of people who don't do that. It was never against the rules, but we figured it wouldn't be an issue. We have now put a technical solution in place to make things a little more fair.

I will now wait for people to start posting the same ad every day until I have to find a solution for that....

Please play nice and fair everyone
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Replies to classified ads are now completely disabled (including your own)

I know it sucks that some ads get buried, but what is wrong with a "Bump"?
    If used in moderation it can be an effective way of getting exposure.

Dan, is there a way to automatically place a link to the item being sold on the user's signature? I found for active members it is a great way to get the message out. Perhaps we could encourage that and make a little tutorial. Maybe I could make a tutorial.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Replies to classified ads are now completely disabled (including your own)

so then how do you get back onto the first page or two?
    cause once you slip off page one you might as well not have an ad.

Is there a way to limit "bumps" to say once a week or every other week ?

(Philadelphia County)

Honestly, we're probably getting close to the point now where vBulletin can't really support a classifieds system anymore.

I just don't think it's fair that some people are bumping their posts back to the top while other people are not.

My guess would be that we have to try to find a way to say "You can only post an ad once a week, and you can't bump it" then if after a week it's not sold, you can post the ad again. I unfortunately do not know of any technical way to do this...

I have to look into how other forums are doing it.
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Allegheny County)

How to add a link to your signature bar

• Create a new thread or "copy" the URL of the existing thread into your computer's clipboard.
    • Click on your "User CP" (Toolbar at the top of the page, far left)
    • Select "Edit Signature" From the toolbar at the left
    • Click the Hyperlink button above the text box and paste the URL into the popup box.
    • Click "OK"
    • Edit the text (It will already be highlighted, just type in the new title)
    • Click "submit"

Edit Signature

Inserting the URL

Editing the title
    Last edited by Atomic Dog; November 30th, 2008 at 05:49 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by danp View Post
    Honestly, we're probably getting close to the point now where vBulletin can't really support a classifieds system anymore.

I just don't think it's fair that some people are bumping their posts back to the top while other people are not.

My guess would be that we have to try to find a way to say "You can only post an ad once a week, and you can't bump it" then if after a week it's not sold, you can post the ad again. I unfortunately do not know of any technical way to do this...

It's a free market, not everything is fair. I understand the technical limitations you guys are dealing with but selling an item involves a bit of skill, luck, timing, and patience. The only aspect the seller can control is skill. So a person with more experience will use techniques to help sell his items. Better ads, good pricing, quality pictures, a willingness to work with buyers, and even "bumping" an ad to keep it in the public view. Just because others do not do this does not mean the system is broken. It means the system is working exactly as it should.

(Mifflin County)

Sounds like a solution looking for a problem to me. What's the big deal if some people bump their thread (as long as it isn't daily) and others don't. I'm failing to see the problem here............

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by danp View Post

http://www.vbclassified.com/index.php

Just FYI

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Smith View Post
    It's a free market, not everything is fair. I understand the technical limitations you guys are dealing with but selling an item involves a bit of skill, luck, timing, and patience. The only aspect the seller can control is skill. So a person with more experience will use techniques to help sell his items. Better ads, good pricing, quality pictures, a willingness to work with buyers, and even "bumping" an ad to keep it in the public view. Just because others do not do this does not mean the system is broken. It means the system is working exactly as it should.
    Quote Originally Posted by IV_Warrior View Post
    Sounds like a solution looking for a problem to me. What's the big deal if some people bump their thread (as long as it isn't daily) and others don't. I'm failing to see the problem here............
    I've yet to visit a forum where such behavior is allowed, it's certainly not polite, at least in my mind. Lately I have seen people bumping their threads daily.

(Bucks County)

I would rather see you put a rule in place that says "one bump per user, per day", and enforce it. If a user abuses it, remove their access to the classifieds section.

Even better, make it so that you can't post to the classifieds unless you are a supporting member... that way any excess load on the site would be paid for.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast