Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

View Poll Results: Would you be willing to help moderate classifieds?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

27 90.00%
  • No

3 10.00%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Replies to classified ads are now completely disabled (including your own)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Game View Post
    Their product looks like an option, but their website is fricking terrible. I can't even find an informational page about how exactly their plugin works. The whole thing is one giant mess.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Replies to classified ads are now completely disabled (including your own)

Quote Originally Posted by danp View Post
    Their product looks like an option, but their website is fricking terrible. I can't even find an informational page about how exactly their plugin works. The whole thing is one giant mess.
    I agree, but from what I've seen of it, and in use, it's a pretty decent system

http://www.vbclassified.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33 is the most useful sub-category there, I think.

Edit: http://www.vbclassified.com/vbproduc...roductinfo&p=1

There we go

(Philadelphia County)

The daily bumps get annoying, but at the same time it's not good to have your ad buried under a bunch of sold items. Maybe sold items should get sent elsewhere after some time.
    Last edited by Philbert; November 30th, 2008 at 06:07 PM.

Is there a way for the system to "auto bump" everyone's ad... say like once a week or whatever until the item is sold? Would that be fair?

(Lebanon County)

I've missed a lot of ads the first time around. When I visit the site I always click on "New Posts" and sometimes there are many, many pages of them and I don't have time to look at all of them therefore it's probably pretty often that I won't see an ad the first or second time around.
    An argument could be made that the Classified section is always there to browse through, but honestly if I'm not looking for something specific I may not visit that section, but if I see something in New Posts that I didn't realize I was looking for or "needed" I'll check it out. I'm sure I can't be the only one who has looked at an ad and made an impulse purchase when I wasn't looking to buy something.
    If there's a "bump limit" posted I'm sure most people would abide by it, and along with the limit there could be a suggestion to bump an ad occasionally for better exposure.
    If someone who is a bit more savvy seems to have an advantage because they know a few things that newer users don't know, that shouldn't be a problem. If someone doesn't know these things, a bit of friendly advice mat be in order, such as a sticky with some tips and an outline of what would be considered abuse.
    I know the moderators already have plenty to do without having to police the classified section too, but there are enough users here who can understand and abide by the rules who also know how to click on the little red triangle in the top right corner of a post to report it and help the mods out a little bit if it needs to be done.

I'm not asking you to change your mind, I just feel better now that I've put my opinion and thoughts out where they can be seen.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by gunga View Post
    I would rather see you put a rule in place that says "one bump per user, per day", and enforce it. If a user abuses it, remove their access to the classifieds section.
    Unfortunately this just requires a lot of time and it's very hard to enforce fairly.

Quote Originally Posted by Philbert View Post
    The daily bumps get annoying, but at the same time it's not good to have your ad buried under a bunch of sold items. Maybe sold items should get sent elsewhere after some time.
    Filtering out sold items is like the #1 thing we have never found a solution for because most of the time I bet people don't even stop back if something is sold.

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    Is there a way for the system to "auto bump" everyone's ad... say like once a week or whatever until the item is sold? Would that be fair?
    We'd need a reliable way of figuring out when something is sold.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    Filtering out sold items is like the #1 thing we have never found a solution for because most of the time I bet people don't even stop back if something is sold.

Is there a way to limit the number of posts allowed on a thread in the classified section?

and then auto delete any thread over X time

(Lebanon County)

Unfortunately this just requires a lot of time and it's very hard to enforce fairly.

Unfortunately that would require people to be responsible for their own actions, including appropriate follow-up. That's my #1 pet peeve, people who don't do what they should do and create more work and aggravation for someone else which in turn results in more rules that will inevitably be a pain in someones ass.
    Simply stated, it's usually just a few who ruin it for the majority.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    Is there a way to limit the number of posts allowed on a thread in the classified section?

and then auto delete any thread over X time
    Not without a hack.

vB has a lot of features, but it really shines when you find the right combination of add-ons... and then troubleshoot the conflicts for a few months, fine tune for the next year, and finally get it back to running 100% (Or, whatever vB runs at these days, maybe 85?)

(Lebanon County)

Some days thing get buried the same day the post is made. Bumping allows users that can't be on here all the time to see things for sale without having to dig though pages of classified ads.

This is a really bad idea IMO.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

- Ronald Reagan

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast