Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    (York County)

Default Can a private rifle range club video record its members without their knowledge?

Went to a private rifle range club i belong to recently and found not just one but many trail cams strapped to trees and camouflaged. They were all pointed at the benches, the vehicle parking areas, etc. As a member of the club none of us were notified to these cameras being installed. Now, the club can record vehicle data, license plates, what firearms you have, and who is with you (including minors). I know that PA is a two party consent state for recording purposes. However, i dont not know if this changes on private property. Since it is a private property area there is a reasonable expectation of privacy. Does anyone know more about this? I honestly do not want to be recorded while shooting, or talking. And i will NOT be taking my kids there because i do not approve of them being recorded.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Can a private rifle range club video record its members without their knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by Marines55 View Post
    Went to a private rifle range club i belong to recently and found not just one but many trail cams strapped to trees and camouflaged. They were all pointed at the benches, the vehicle parking areas, etc. As a member of the club none of us were notified to these cameras being installed. Now, the club can record vehicle data, license plates, what firearms you have, and who is with you (including minors). I know that PA is a two party consent state for recording purposes. However, i dont not know if this changes on private property. Since it is a private property area there is a reasonable expectation of privacy. Does anyone know more about this? I honestly do not want to be recorded while shooting, or talking. And i will NOT be taking my kids there because i do not approve of them being recorded.
    my question was it mentioned in any membership docs you signed and agreed to? The club i go has cameras but they are not fixed on the benches. they can see who comes and goes.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Can a private rifle range club video record its members without their knowledge?

Can a private rifle range club video record its members without their knowledge?
    Yes.

I know that PA is a two party consent state for recording purposes.
    That refers to AUDIO recording.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by akley88 View Post
    my question was it mentioned in any membership docs you signed and agreed to? The club i go has cameras but they are not fixed on the benches. they can see who comes and goes.
    Nothing was mentioned in writing or verbally to any members that these cameras were being installed. These are new additions and have not been there during the 10+ years i have been a member there.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    Yes.

That refers to AUDIO recording.
    Yes, i know that. How can you prove that these cameras are NOT recording audio? I have no clue where the footage is being sent. I have no idea WHO is getting the footage and how they ar using/storing it.

(Allegheny County)

Yes, i know that. How can you prove that these cameras are NOT recording audio?
    You don't. You'd have to prove they are.

I have no clue where the footage is being sent. I have no idea WHO is getting the footage and how they ar using/storing it.
    Have you raised these issues at a membership meeting?

(York County)

Literally, these were just spotted a couple days ago. Membership meetings are rare and communications are lacking in this club. I would believe in this case, the club would have to prove they are NOT recording audio. Either way, it looks like it may be time to drop out of this old boy club.

(Berks County)

I believe that one of the details on recording is the expectation that you are in a private location. Like an office, on the phone, etc. When out and about in public, that expectation is not to be...expected.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

In public you have no right to privacy, but this isn't public, it's private.
    FJB

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    In public you have no right to privacy, but this isn't public, it's private.
    Just because you're at a private club doesn't mean you're not "in public".

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast