Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Hornady Lock-N-Load AP Press

Hello all,

I’m considering getting the Hornady AP but was wondering if the Hornady dyes that I use for my Hornady Classic Press will fit / can be used on the AP. Thanks in advance for your help.
    Philippians 4:13

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Hornady Lock-N-Load AP Press

If you’re going progressive go Dillon. That’s the advice I got from my friend with the hornady

(Lehigh County)

Second the motion to go Dillon. NathanB speaks wisely.

(Tioga County)

I like the Hornady AP press. Nothing against Dillon but when I was comparing the AP with the Dillon 550 and 650, I found the AP to be better value, more simple to use and parts were readily available at most large gun shops or regular vendors online like Midway. So far it serves me well.

You can use regular dies with the AP press but there are some dies made for progressive presses that supposedly work better. My 9mm set up for instance is a mix of regular Lee dies and the Redding progressive 9mm set.

(York County)

All of what Wanneroo said above is true but here is one thing that no one beats with Dillon and that's their customer service. I have had Dillon presses for over 35 years. If something breaks you can call or go online and request a warranty replacement part. You get an email or they tell you on the phone that the parts on the way. No excuses, no that's not covered, no bs. If you are having any issues with the press you can even send it to them and they will fix it for you. I sent a press I was having trouble with the primer feed to them and not only did they fix the primer feed they replaced a few other parts unrelated to the problem I was having to upgrade the press to the newest version. I have never dealt with a better company than Dillon and have nothing bad to say about them or any of their products.

(Centre County)

I have to agree with guncollectors comments. I've had Dillon since 1988 and never a problem. I had a tendency to snap off the primer catcher on the Square Deal B several times - all my knees fault - and Dillon always sent me the new part with no questions asked. I had a good friend who bought a Dillon at a garage sale about 10 years ago and it was pretty beat up. He called Dillon, explained it all, including that he did not buy it new. They told him to send it in. He did with a note saying that he would pay for the repairs. He got it back, completely repaired and updated, with a note saying "NO CHARGE - when we say no BS we mean it" it's been running like a champ ever since.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Bucks County)

I run two Hornady AP presses. Big advantage to me was the cost/value and the five stage head over the Dillon 550. Loaded many thousands of rounds on each one. As far as service I have not had to call Hornady for any parts. These presses keep on performing. That says volumes to me. I would buy another one if I needed it. I forgot the most important feature of the L & L AP over the Dillon 550 is that the Hornady is a full self indexing press.
    Jeff
    Last edited by Pukindog; December 20th, 2023 at 11:01 AM.
    NRA Benefactor member
    NRA 2nd Amendment Foundation
    Colt Collectors Association
    Browning Collectors Association
    Sharps Arms Collectors Association
    SASS Association

SANS PEUR et SANS REPROACHE

(Clarion County)

Have had a 550 Dillon since the 80's also. Main point was I could use the collection of dies I had. Used their warranty once for the housing on the powder measure years ago. No hassle.
    Whatever I would get today if needed would have 5 stations so I could run a powder check die.
    Never had a problem, but wouldn't hurt to have it.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Lehigh County)

I also have an RL550 and use Dillon carbide die sets for all of my calibers. I like their die sets because of seating and crimping being separate steps.
    NRA Life Member

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by oldengineer View Post
    I like their die sets because of seating and crimping being separate steps.
    You can do that with any die set. Just get a Lee factory crimp die. I use one for all of my pistol cartridges.