Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Reloading Equipment/Procedure Basics For Beginners - Read This First!

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    9mm, 5.56, .243, .270 would be the extent - at least at this point. I am sure that 9mm would be the primary, followed by 5.56. The .243 & .270 would be a rarity - if at all.
    For 9mm and 5.56 you would want a progressive like a Dillon 550. Problem is since they are so common reloading the 9mm and 5.56 rounds barely saves you anything vs buying new. If you loaded anything like .357, .44 mag, or 45 Colt then a progressive is worth it but do the math to see your investment makes sense for 9mm.

For rifle rounds you want a single stage press. You can get by with a progressive but when developing loads it takes longer to change the settings on a progressive and a single stage gives you more control and more accurate ammo. As far as I am concerned if you shoot rifle reloading is required. There are many once common hunting rounds that are impossible to find and spending $2-3 a shot takes a lot of the fun out of shooting.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Reloading Equipment/Procedure Basics For Beginners - Read This First!

I agree with Delkal except that I'd be careful above 5.56 on that Dillon. It's not extremely heavy and if you get one of your rifle cases stuck in it, it bites and you can mar the wrist pins. Ask me how I know. I feel like it's best to get into it now and accumulate supplies rather than wait until it's a 'need' and you can't get anything. Besides, there is something of a learning curve to it all and it might take a little bit until you get the hang of it. For the 9s, right now, consider it a hobby and not a money saver, we all have hobbies that we spend money on they don't return the investment. And if you want to load your own defensive rounds, those bullet heads don't cost enough extra to justify the price of the finished product at the gun shop. I can't understand why a box of 20 of them costs $$$$$$$$$.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Thanks to all who have chimed in on this thread. I truly appreciate it as I am in the dark on this subject. I realize that this is probably not the optimal time to get started, but I don't know when things will calm down a bit. I realize that it might take a lot of reloading to justify the cost, but there is definitely an intangible value in the comfort of being able to reload. I doubt that things are going to get cheaper, and I also think that those in power want to make it increasingly difficult to buy ammo, especially at the prices we have become accustomed to over the years.

(Bucks County)

I realize that it might take a lot of reloading to justify the cost,
    Buy a 45 Colt and you will save $1 a shot (it cost the same as reloading a 9mm). Or get a .35 Remington or .300 Savage and save $2 a shot. This ammo has been almost impossible to find and when you do its $50-60 a box (it cost the same to reload as a common .308). This is the real value in reloading.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of classic rifles start dropping in price just because no one can find the ammo for it. With reloading you can keep then running for the same price as the common rounds. You can even form some cases from the parent brass if it is unavailable.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by JDA58 View Post
    That kit would give you all the basic things needed other than the dies.. That price is $100 or more high from what I've seen..
    Now!! I will say with the rise in price on things like primers and powders.. It might not the best time to jump in.. But better now than never.. Rolling your own is something that could come in VERY handy.
    It does seem to be high. They were under 400 not long ago. That was the top of the search. I'm sure there are way better prices out there.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    Buy a 45 Colt and you will save $1 a shot (it cost the same as reloading a 9mm). Or get a .35 Remington or .300 Savage and save $2 a shot. This ammo has been almost impossible to find and when you do its $50-60 a box (it cost the same to reload as a common .308). This is the real value in reloading.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of classic rifles start dropping in price just because no one can find the ammo for it. With reloading you can keep then running for the same price as the common rounds. You can even form some cases from the parent brass if it is unavailable.
    Definately. I have been shooting alot of 45 colt and 45,-70 the last couple years. Factory is ridiculously expensive. I still load everything I shoot. Even 9mm. I have a SDB for pistol and a 650 dedicated to 5.56 and 300bo. All other rifle I load on the rockchucker.

I'm retired and have alot of time. I have been slowly reverting to the single stage. I have the time and I enjoy being involved in every step instead of just pulling on the handle.

(Allegheny County)

Thanks to all who have chimed in on this thread. I truly appreciate it as I am in the dark on this subject. I realize that this is probably not the optimal time to get started, but I don't know when things will calm down a bit. I realize that it might take a lot of reloading to justify the cost, but there is definitely an intangible value in the comfort of being able to reload. I doubt that things are going to get cheaper, and I also think that those in power want to make it increasingly difficult to buy ammo, especially at the prices we have become accustomed to over the years.
    It's never a good time to start. Just do it 😆

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567