Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Reloading Equipment/Procedure Basics For Beginners - Read This First!

Thanks for the suggestions on reloading manuals and online data sources. I looked at the loaddata.com site and it is pretty interesting. I'd have to pay to get the powder charge information, which I may do. I'll also see if I can pick up a few of those single caliber books. I think I saw some at the last gunshow I attended.

(Lehigh County)

Talking Re: Reloading Equipment/Procedure Basics For Beginners - Read This First!

Great Job! I'd add a bullet puller - probably a kinetic type- so one is not tempted to shoot his or her mistakes.....

Default Re: Reloading Equipment/Procedure Basics For Beginners - Read This First!

I hate to show my ignorance, but how do you pull a bullet? I believe I seen a device that you put a bullet into and whack like a hammer and the bullet separates from the case, is that what you're talking about?

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kemosabe1951 View Post
    I hate to show my ignorance, but how do you pull a bullet? I believe I seen a device that you put a bullet into and whack like a hammer and the bullet separates from the case, is that what you're talking about?
    Yep, that's a kinetic bullet puller. There are also die setups to do it, but the kinetic works just fine.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by BerksCountyDave View Post
    Yep, that's a kinetic bullet puller. There are also die setups to do it, but the kinetic works just fine.
    Make sure when you do do this, you use a very hard surface. We've put the bullet puller through dresser tops before.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by andrewjs18 View Post
    Make sure when you do do this, you use a very hard surface. We've put the bullet puller through dresser tops before.
    The end grain of a 2x4 works well.

(Berks County)

I have a newb question...

Why are single stage presses considered the best way for a new reloader to start out?

Perhaps it is just my thought process but I would think that adding steps to a process only complicates it. Kinda like adding variables to a math problem, I can devide and subtract like no ones business add in some letters and pi symbols and solve for x becomes the focus instead of the actual problem.

I have gotten increasingly interested in reloading mostly because as some have noted ammo is wacko expensive and yet more troublesome is that it is becoming harder to find.

I have had the pleasure of attempting, my best, to following along with someone who reloaded using both types of presses. I picked up on the progressive stage press very quickly, it appeared that once you have the setup you desire you can make ammo extremely easy. The single stage press had me seriously reconsidering the whole idea. So many mistakes could happen if you just got a little distracted and honestly as a volly FF/EMT and a man living with a woman I don't see having 2 uninterupted hours to load 20 rounds.

I am not trying to be glibe its just that I am looking and the further I delve into the reloading arena everyone wants to point me towards a SSP and honestly it looks harder. Am I missing something???

(Lawrence County)

In my opinion, the single stage is the best to start out on, but it's definately not set in stone. I've used a single stage (actually 2 of them) for years and have had no problems. I've loaded tens of thousands of rounds with it, and I feel I've learned a lot from diong it "the hard way".

When I started, for $150 I got everything I neded but the bullets primers and powder. After reading the book, it took only a few sessions and I was banging out 100 rounds in an hour. The single stage let me take my time and learn each step one at a time. It also raised a few questions that a little research cleared up. In other words, I LEARNED a lot!

A progressive on the other hand does it all at once, and it does it all for you. I firmly believe in multitasking, but for a beginner, doing it all at once is alot to keep an eye on. Even with a good setup strange things can happen. One little mistake could lead to alot of pulled bullets, or worst case, a trip to the ER. If you have the money, and someone to help and teach you, then sure, go for it and get the progressive to start out.

But I still believe nothing beats the experience you get from starting out "the hard way"!
    Last edited by Jake Mc.; February 9th, 2009 at 06:10 PM.

................ZRT Sector 1 Waterborne Operations & Sniper Unit.................

(Perry County)

I looked at a few of the products recommended by the OP quickly. My question is, are there any good package deals or starter kits available to help get all the pieces, and also maybe save a little coin in the process? It seems there are so many components to consider, with several brands and types and various options for each piece of equipment that one could spend months researching to try to make an informed decision, and likely not really know what the differences "mean" until after they've been doing it for a bit...
    - I support Israel; "If guns kill people my pencil causes bad spelling."

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by imp81318 View Post
    I looked at a few of the products recommended by the OP quickly. My question is, are there any good package deals or starter kits available to help get all the pieces, and also maybe save a little coin in the process? It seems there are so many components to consider, with several brands and types and various options for each piece of equipment that one could spend months researching to try to make an informed decision, and likely not really know what the differences "mean" until after they've been doing it for a bit...
    There are many starter kits that will get you everything you need except the supplies (powder, primers, bullets, casings) and dies. The dies are readily available and the de facto standard threads is 7/8-14 which will fit in most all singkle stage and turret presses.

Some examples: www.midwayusa.com

Thread down to:
    Reloading > Metallic Reloading Equipment > Reloading Presses > Single Stage Reloading Presses & Kits > Presses Without Die Sets

Of course, there are other sources than Midway. Not advertising the company itself but I've use them often with good results.

Kits available from Lee, Lyman, Hornady, etc. The quality will vary as will the price but if you want the lowest cost its Lee (not the best but does the job).

There may be some things in a kit that you may want to eventually replace but for a start, its the way to go and you'll be able to make quality reloads in no time. LIke any hobby you'll find yourself expanding into bell and whistles but the kits are a good point of departure.
    Last edited by tl_3237; March 25th, 2009 at 03:24 PM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast