Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Arming & disarming - best practices

Quote Originally Posted by Claminator View Post
    Thanks for the insightful replies, folks. I'm aware I'm overthinking the process. Life was simpler before I had kids and could leave a pistol in a nightstand drawer. Now, I need to idiot-proof the system to the point that the process becomes 2nd nature.

Opening the safe to pack a bag for the range is a one-off task that demands my undivided attention. Alternatively, the daily on/off might happen when I'm tired, distracted, etc., and that's where mistakes are made.
    Very good self-recognition... It's all about routine and the safety priorities that work for you in the situations you're in.

But, also remember the basics at all times. We are strict about routine, but that can leave "training scars too". Sometimes, you need to have things shaken up a bit to challenge yourself to use your training and cognitive abilities to overcome.

Also... little ones are never too young to begin the journey of learning safety.
    F*S=k

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    I put in a wall safe in the bathroom right by the front door. This makes it easy and practical to arm/disarm, in private, with minimal opportunity to "get lazy" and risk unfortunate events.

It's helpful to have your bedroom gun be just that, your bedroom gun. You can keep it locked there in one of these:

https://www.deansafe.com/products/ft...SABEgJQcfD_BwE

That's neat - well done. Did you install it yourself, free?

I have some "things" like that around our homes, but I'd like to make them more robust. I might have the ability, but I don't have the time... I've always been shy to hire contractors to install such, thinking then they know my "secrets" lol... ya know? Plus, I'd want it to look spectacular..
    F*S=k

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke2A View Post
    Don't overthink things ....keep your booger hook off the trigger and things will be fine . I have multiple OWB , IWB and pocket holsters for 2-4 different firearms I carry when I unholster I keep it in a safe direction and put it away , when I holster keep it safe and put it in the holster.

Not good for some firearms to stay in the holster wears off the finish .
    This.

Come in, pull holstered pistol off my belt (iwb) and place on night stand (or high up in reach if children are present), remove knife/mag pouch as i remove belt, hang belt on hook, drop pants, go to sleep. Reverse process when i wake up. I only carry one model of pistol currently, so its easy as pie

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123