Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lehigh County)

Default ⚠️Chemical found in Cheerios, Quaker Oats, other oat-based foods

🤔 Chemical found in Cheerios, Quaker Oats, other oat-based foods linked to potential health issues: study

A pesticide linked to reproductive and developmental issues in animals was found in oat-based foods sold in the U.S., including under major brand names like Cheerios and Quaker Oats, according to a recent peer-reviewed study.

Chlormequat was detected in 80% of people tested in three geographical regions of the U.S. between 2017 and 2023, according to the study by the Environmental Working Group (EWG) and published in the Journal of Exposure Science and Environmental Epidemiology.

Researchers also found that "the concentrations detected in 2023 samples were significantly higher than previous years' samples."

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyl...h-issues-study

Default Re: ⚠️Chemical found in Cheerios, Quaker Oats, other oat-based foods

The shredded cheese I use for my pizza has eye fungus medication in it.
    FJB

(Bucks County)

Default Re: ⚠️Chemical found in Cheerios, Quaker Oats, other oat-based foods

Never heard of this one before but after a little reading.......This is not some illegal adulterant from china or mexico. It is epa registered in the US for greenhouses but in 2023 was allowed for outdoor crops. So can anyone guess why the number in oats is higher in 2023?

Chlormequat is not a pesticide but it stunts the plant so the stalk is thicker so it can be easier to harvest. Looking at the chemical structure it could be potentially reactive and given a chance I wouldn't want to eat it. But it also approved in Canada and the EU where they bad dozens of US pesticides and herbicides.

From the wiki page.
    In April 2023, US EPA proposed allowing the use of the chemical for the first time on US food crops such as barley, oat, triticale, and wheat, stating that, the EPA*s human health risk assessment indicated "no dietary, residential, or aggregate (i.e., combined dietary and residential exposures) risks of concern." No risks were identified by EPA to aquatic species of invertebrates, vertebrates, and plants in addition to terrestrial plants.[9]