Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Cumberland County)

Default 870 Wingmaster...tactical?

Hey All,

I just joined the forum and have a question.

So I have a 1979 870 Wingmaster, with a 30" full choke barrel. The stock is a little dinged up (should be repaired), but still shoot-able. Should I just buy an aftermarket 870 "tactical kit" and cut the barrel down or sell it and buy a new tactical shotgun? As is the gun is too long to be used for home defense and WAY to long for my wife to utilize effectively.

Thanks Theadman
    Last edited by Theadman; February 19th, 2024 at 09:50 AM. Reason: spelling error

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: 870 Wingmaster...tactical?

I'd save the barrel instead of cutting it(keep or sell it). Buy a new barrel & furniture set.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Chester County)

Like has already been mentioned. You can keep the barrel and change the barrel to the 18.5 they sell. Changing a hunting shotgun over to a tactical one needs some research and careful choices on stocks, mag tube extenders, metal trigger group, mag tube folllowers and springs etc... It's going to be more expensive but less time and trouble if you traded it in for a shotgun already set up as a "tactical" shotgun. Stay away from the import Turkish junk. Remington has closed their New York factory where the M870p was made so they aren't up to speed yet on the police model. Remington has been manufacturing in Georgia for just a short time now but I don't see the Police model online anywhere yet. Bass Pro is selling a "tactical" model with wood furniture but I'm not sure what the components are that make it "tactical". I bought an 870p model back in 2020 when I saw the writing on the wall about the Sandy Hook debacle lawsuit. They were readily available at the time.

A useful website for research

https://www.rem870.com/

This fine young man sells Remington parts and may be able to find you parts for a changeover.

https://tacticalgunslings.com/

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/remi...ctical-shotgun

Pre Sandy Hook debacle Remington M870p

Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Cumberland County)

Thank you both for your thoughts. I was thinking the same thing. Selling the complete gun is probably the best bet, as the barrel is not worth a ton and for the price of all the accessories to rebuild the 870 I could buy a complete tactical shotgun.

(Chester County)

Two things you check on another Remington 870. Make sure it has the extended mag tube already installed. The hunting models have to have the shell limiting dimples flattened in order to accommodate a mag tube extension and have it accept more shells. Also make sure to at least have heavier duty shell follower in the mag tube. The stock Remington plastic followers are not suited for heavy duty springs. There are a few out there made of heavy duty Delrin (hard nylon like material), aluminum and stainless steel. I like the Delrin because it has a self lubricating property to it. All my shotguns hunting and tactical have the solid tail less #3 style.

https://sjhardware.com/search.php?se...ection=product

Slings are also an important accessory to consider. This guy shows the magpul sling but I made my own out of 1 1/4 nylon and used my own buckles and attachments.

My Winchester 1300 with 22" Winchester barrel. This is my quick response go to when I believe a pistol isn't enough to get the job done. It's proved itself to be reliable in any and all conditions.

Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC