Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Wayne County)

Default Removing pin and weld on 14.7 barrel

I have a 14.7" barrel PSA AR with a stock right now. It has a welded flash hider to make it 16".
    I'd like to unpin/remove weld and change out the flash hider to one that can be used with my suppressor.
    Can I remove this pin and weld, if I also remove the stock and possibly put on a brace?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Removing pin and weld on 14.7 barrel

Quote Originally Posted by Will3212 View Post
    I have a 14.7" barrel PSA AR with a stock right now. It has a welded flash hider to make it 16".
    I'd like to unpin/remove weld and change out the flash hider to one that can be used with my suppressor.
    Can I remove this pin and weld, if I also remove the stock and possibly put on a brace?
    Yes it can de removed by a couple different ways, grind where the pin and weld is or split the flash hider. As far as adding a brace, if it was a rifle which sounds like it was you cannot add a brace and make it a pistol with a barrel length shorter than 16*.
    Today was a good day!

(Delaware County)

Separate the upper from the lower. Now park the lower with a friend if you are going to do the pin/weld work yourself. If you are sending the upper out to have the work done, keep your upper home and reinstall when the work is done. The trick is to not to be in possession of the lower and the 14.7 upper even if they are not assembled.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by bug View Post
    Separate the upper from the lower. Now park the lower with a friend if you are going to do the pin/weld work yourself. If you are sending the upper out to have the work done, keep your upper home and reinstall when the work is done. The trick is to not to be in possession of the lower and the 14.7 upper even if they are not assembled.
    Should I also take off my pants? The mental backflips are hilarious when one pauses to actually think about this...

Your advice isn't wrong... but damn. Really shows the insanity of gov't and douchebags like the ATF..

To play devil's advocate, what if one has many uppers and lowers and some of them are rifles and some are pistols and some are still in their BCM shipping boxes and identify as "configuration-confused"? Should they just go canoeing? lol
    F*S=k

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by arjohnson View Post
    Yes it can de removed by a couple different ways, grind where the pin and weld is or split the flash hider. As far as adding a brace, if it was a rifle which sounds like it was you cannot add a brace and make it a pistol with a barrel length shorter than 16*.
    THIS.

Once a rifle, always a rifle.

If it had started out as a pistol, it can later be configured as a rifle, and later configured as a pistol - no problem.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Bucks County)

And don't forget the pinned and welded flash hider was supposed to be permanent. But if you take it off then you demonstrated it really wasn't permanent and you have been in violation with a SBR for years.......

But if you think pure thoughts so the mind police don't hear anything I would just buy a new barrel to pin and weld with your new flash hider. Unless you have a premium barrel a new one is cheap and you would save yourself a big PITA grinding and trying to unscrew the old flash hider.

I am a little confused since it sounds like your original plan was to keep the rifle barrel over 16 inches. You can decide the legalities of adding a brace.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    And don't forget the pinned and welded flash hider was supposed to be permanent. But if you take it off then you demonstrated it really wasn't permanent and you have been in violation with a SBR for years.......

But if you think pure thoughts so the mind police don't hear anything I would just buy a new barrel to pin and weld with your new flash hider. Unless you have a premium barrel a new one is cheap and you would save yourself a big PITA grinding and trying to unscrew the old flash hider.

I am a little confused since it sounds like your original plan was to keep the rifle barrel over 16 inches. You can decide the legalities of adding a brace.
    That*s mostly not true, permanent means it can*t be removed like a regular FH by simply using a wrench. If you try to remove a permanently attached FH with a wrench you*ll ruin the barrel. So in other words once the FH is pinned and welded you*ll have to destroy the FH to remove.

Best thing to do is send it off to a reputable place that does that service, have them remove your FH and permanently install a new on of your choice that makes the oal 16* or more.
    Today was a good day!

(Lebanon County)

or short barrel a lower and dont worry about the tomfoolery anymore
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    or short barrel a lower and dont worry about the tomfoolery anymore
    FIFY......

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by arjohnson View Post
    That*s mostly not true, permanent means it can*t be removed like a regular FH by simply using a wrench. If you try to remove a permanently attached FH with a wrench you*ll ruin the barrel. So in other words once the FH is pinned and welded you*ll have to destroy the FH to remove.

Best thing to do is send it off to a reputable place that does that service, have them remove your FH and permanently install a new on of your choice that makes the oal 16* or more.
    Well I did have a smiley face......

And do you think a reputable gunsmith would charge you less to grind the old barrel than just buying a new barrel and having the new flashhider installed? The OP could even sell his current pinned and welded barrel and get a lot of his money back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast