Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MORE DEER ????

(York County)

Default MORE DEER ????

Was out scouting today for the start of rifle and noticed alot of scrapes, rubs and other signs. More than years past. I had seen the most deer in archery this year than any other archery season I have hunted. Has anyone else noticed an increase in the deer population? Is it because of fewer hunters, or milder weather?

Default Re: MORE DEER ????

All of the areas I hunt are almost deer free zones.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by whsell3 View Post
    Was out scouting today for the start of rifle and noticed alot of scrapes, rubs and other signs. More than years past. I had seen the most deer in archery this year than any other archery season I have hunted. Has anyone else noticed an increase in the deer population? Is it because of fewer hunters, or milder weather?
    My father in law (property I go hunting on) has said he has noticed a lot more deer this year. He's seen at least three, eight pointers in the last week along with many doe... so I'm looking forward to tomorrow :-)

(Fayette County)

I hunted a lot this archery season and saw a total of 15 deer the entire season, so I wouldn't say I have seen more deer than ever before. I will say I finally saw some legal bucks which is something I haven't seen in 3 seasons. I am also seeing more rut signs now than I did in archery so you folks hunting rifle tomorrow might have a good day. I have a final so I will be stuck at the school.
    "Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive." - Elbert Hubbard

(Erie County)

There is an inherent flaw in the logic of Alt and company with regards to changing the deer management system in PA. The herd levels have never been evenly distributed in any way and yet the hunting restriction and such are.

Whether you agree or not that the deer population had grown too large for the land to support is one thing, but treating nearly all of the State the same way was a mistake. Here in NW PA the population of deer has generally been fairly high compared to say the Allegheny region (which I use because it was the only area I ever really hunted other than Erie and Crawford county).

I for one have not seen a reduction in the number of deer out and about around here.
    "When the winds of change blow hard enough, the most trivial of things can become deadly projectiles." - Unknown.

West of the mountains, south of the lake, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Plenty of deer in Butler County. Lots of legal bucks, plenty of antlerless. No antlerless for the first week in the 2D side of the county, so the herd should expand further. Should be a great season.

(York County)

Noticed a bit more action this year in Southern York County during archery. But we will see. I am sure all of the deer got the news letter about the "Great Migration of the Orange People". -BB
    The war is coming to the streets of America and if you are not keeping and bearing and practicing with your arms then you will be helpless and you will be the victim of evil.
    -Ted Nugent

(Wayne County)

JUst because Alt and the boys say that there are to many deer does not mean it is true. I personally buy a doe tag each year just to make sure some one else won`t have the chance to kill a doe. More does more deer. I let all small bucks walk and let them grow old. I don`t have to kill a deer every year, I`m happy to be alive and well enough to hunt and be with my buds.

Qtrborecrazy

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    All of the areas I hunt are almost deer free zones.
    You MUST be referring to Pike Co. =)

Plinker
    My dog "Ruger" is worried about the economy because Alpo is up to $3.00 a can. That's almost $21.00 in dog money.

Pray for our troops....and a little extra for our snipers.

(Monroe County)

Not really seeing much of a difference, Did see 3 monsters this year with some huge racks but I attribute that more to the Soy that has been planted and the increase in homes (thus decrease in hunting area).

The deer are getting smarter, no doubt about that, but I'm not really seeing an increase in the herd or the size of the deer.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast