Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Drawing from concealment

What technique do you guys practice when you draw from concealment?

In the cold temps it is usually pretty easy with my OWB and a cover garment of some sort (coat/jacket/hoody in fall) to just sweep it back with my strong hand as i go for the grip. But when you are under a shirt (and especially you IWB guys) what are you practiceing then?

I had practiced lifting the shirt up with my strong hand and then down onto the grip, but a cop friend of mine (who is a avid shooter) suggested i use my weak hand to clear any cover garments/shirts ect. I am not sure I like this suggestion as it depends on both hands.

Any other methods I am missing?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Drawing from concealment

Usually I do both. Support hand lifts the cover, strong hand clears away as I grab the *fiddly bit.

*Got that expression from my British aunt. Yes, it sounds gay.

When I practice drawing I remember two things:

1. Haste makes waste, so be quick not sloppy.
    2. I pick the worse case situation. For me that is holding my daughter.

I will simultaneously try to lift my shirt with my strong hand, and weak, it's a race of course. Then strong hand comes down on the firearm. Being I have hammerless ones, once my hand gets there, no snags even if the shirt falls back down(during one handed draw).

Oh, do not 'air gun' with a loaded firearm. Don't want to read about you on the board.

tom
    Everyday, Love your Wife. She might love you back twice that day. :D

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    What technique do you guys practice when you draw from concealment?
    I had practiced lifting the shirt up with my strong hand and then down onto the grip, but a cop friend of mine (who is a avid shooter) suggested i use my weak hand to clear any cover garments/shirts ect.
    Your cop friend is correct regarding use of the support hand.

Not sure what you mean by "clear any cover garments / shirts" but the technique is to use the support hand to "lift" the shirt clear of the pistol and then use the firing hand to obtain a grip index. From that point on it's the normal Presentation (e.g. "counts").

Using the weak hand to move the clothing out of the way can be quicker but it is a 'tell'. Meaning it gives away that you aren't doing something normal.

Depending on the situation it might be better to be able to get the gun without being obvious. Say your up against a man with a knife wanting your wallet. If you are able to take a step back, putting up your weak hand in defense, and turning your strong side away while reaching for the gun and making out that your going for your wallet would all be a normal response. Using some verbal response while doing this will also add to the distraction as well. Something like 'OK, Please don't hurt me' will draw their eyes upward and away from what you are doing. These little tricks work well at close distance and they are something I learned when studying magic. They call it misdirection and the eyes will follow the part of the body closest to them and the movement involved. Same for talking. The eyes follow the noise. And a one handed grab for your wallet is a common move so it won't draw attention. Along with your body being able to block their view.

It doesn't work as well at a distance but then most crime is committed up close and personal.

(Lackawanna County)

last winter, i practiced pocket shooting with an old coat i was ready to throw away. the fastest draw is the no-draw.

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

It depends. I don't tuck my shirts so if I'm wearing light clothing I hook the shirt with my thumb as my hand comes up getting it out of the way.

If the cover is too thick then I use the weak hand.

I've been practicng shooting from concealment lately and you pick up little tricks for your gun, rig, and fashion sense.

P-11shawnbestraightpimpinSHOOTER

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by P-11 shooter View Post
    It depends. I don't tuck my shirts so if I'm wearing light clothing I hook the shirt with my thumb as my hand comes up getting it out of the way.

If the cover is too thick then I use the weak hand.

I've been practicng shooting from concealment lately and you pick up little tricks for your gun, rig, and fashion sense.

P-11shawnbestraightpimpinSHOOTER
    This what I also do.

Your weak hand may be occupied.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    Your cop friend is correct regarding use of the support hand.

Not sure what you mean by "clear any cover garments / shirts" but the technique is to use the support hand to "lift" the shirt clear of the pistol and then use the firing hand to obtain a grip index. From that point on it's the normal Presentation (e.g. "counts").
    Quote Originally Posted by normanvin View Post
    This what I also do.

Your weak hand may be occupied.
    And this is why I was taking a second look at this, esp after all the discussion about not relying on two hands when you need to draw .
    Last edited by Shawn.L; December 2nd, 2008 at 07:34 PM.

(York County)

I am a fan of un-tucked dress and therefore most of my drawing practice is done strong side hip, where I carry, with my shirt untucked. My job allows be to dress like this, but not everyone has this as an option.

I have been hearing a lot of good things about appendix carry rigs as of late. For those of you not familiar it is basically carrying IWB in front of the hip, near the appendix. Google it, there is a bunch of stuff out there on the topic.

An old timer trick I have heard of if you carry OWB with a jacket is to sew a small weight into the hem of the garment so you can swing the jacket back quickly and access your weapon. I do it at the range because my agency requires that we wear a cover garment when qualifying for the PPC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast