Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Clarion County)

Default Re: Did Hodgdon discontue Trail boss

Subsonic loads, what a rabbit hole to go down. If you have good info and the powder give the other loads a try and posts how it goes.
    I worked up gallery (low) loads years ago before trail boss was around.
    For rifle I used a 30-30 with home cast 115 gr FN. Notes show I went as low as 4.6 grs Unique with an average velocity of 884 fps. AD 12.2 and SD 14.9. Started to get close to sonic at 6.5 grs. going 1158 fps, AD 12.2, Sd 14.4. No fillers used. No special positioning of cases, just load and shoot.
    Can remember they were fun and took some groundhogs with it.
    Interesting (long) thread on fillers: https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...use-of-fillers
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Washington County)

Default Re: Did Hodgdon discontue Trail boss

I started out making subsonic loads for 5.56 using faster pistol powders in small amounts, but I didn't know about fillers. I just made sure to tilt the gun muzzle up before pulling the trigger so the powder was back by the primer, or I would get a squib. I also found I had to use lighter bullet weights, as anything over 55gr was keyholing at subsonic velocities. That may of just been unique to my bullet and barrel combination though. Luckily no suppressors were harmed in these experiments. Always test fire without the suppressor first.

I then discovered Trail Boss and used that in subsonic 5.56 with no need for filler.

Then I started loading 308 subsonic rounds using Trail Boss and 220gr coated projectiles from Steel Valley Casting. They are fun! No issues with keyholing. I have a little Trail Boss left. Hopefully it lasts until it hits the market again.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12