Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Cleaning 22 suppressors

Just trying to get other ideas of how to approach this. I usually shoot 1000 or less rounds and clean it so it doesn*t get horrific but if you have a 22 can you know. My specific concern is the lead build up. I*ve done the dip and I don*t wanna do that due to the chemical it creates and then the lead acetate and then the disposal of it. So currently I soak it in CLR for a few hours then use a small pocket screwdriver to just scrape. I don*t get it 100% clean but it*s clean enough to function well and prolly 90% clean. After I*m all done I soak the baffles in eezox and synthetic aft and reassemble with a good amount of eezox/atf mix all over internals.

I see Boretech makes a suppressor specific 2part cleaner and there is even a whole kit you can buy but the kit is like $250 and I don*t see that being reasonable but I*ve been wrong before.
    What do you all use to clean lead from your 22lr cans?

Default Re: Cleaning 22 suppressors

My dealer (RIP) said trans fluid. When not using mine, I put it in a jar of trans fluid for months on end.
    FJB

(Westmoreland County)

CLR (in a small ziplock bag) inside of a heated Ultrasonic cleaner for 45-60 minutes gets really awful 22LR build up off for my DA Mask. If it's still not "good 'nuf", go for another round in the ultrasonic. Then fresh water to rinse off components and then another 15 minutes in small ziplock bag w/ Ballistol to finish up the parts before reassembly.

Think the heat & ultrasonic might be helpful addition to your process, haven't tried just soaking in the CLR by itself.

Although to be fair: 90% clean just sitting in CLR and a little scrapping doesn't sound bad at all: perfectly clean doesn't necessarily help it sound quieter...

(Allegheny County)

Try the new stuff called breakaway suppressor cleaner, seen some reviews and looks like it works really good and on aluminum as well. I just picked some up for my 22 warlock aluminum can. Will report back with my results.

Actual review I saw was on a warlock 22 aluminum 22 can and couldn’t believe how well it worked. There’s a thread on arfcom in the armory under suppressors, go check it out for yourself.
    Today was a good day!

(Northampton County)

I usually clean mine about toe 500 rd mark. My system is very similar to yours, I mix up a Tupper ware tub with about 75% simple green and 25% water, let that soak about an hour with the baffles, tube and end caps. Then I usually us a tooth brush ( GI cleaning kit one) and the crud comes off easily. Rince well with warm water. Dry, add clp and reassemble. On the blast cone I apply a small amount of anti seize compound.

Smit

(Allegheny County)

Sorry it*s called breakthrough not breakaway.
    Today was a good day!

You are prolly right I*m gonna look into an ultrasonic. And it*s definitely more than a little scraping for realz

I’ve seen reviews on the breakthrough stuff seems good for carbon but not lead and lead is my issue.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by *Klutch* View Post
    I*ve seen reviews on the breakthrough stuff seems good for carbon but not lead and lead is my issue.
    From what I seen and read it also removed lead deposits. I just dropped my aluminum 22 baffles in this stuff so I*ll let you know how they turn out.

I*ll use ultrasonic for stainless baffles, not recommended for aluminum.
    Today was a good day!

(Bucks County)

For a leaded barrel Kroil and coarse bronze wool works best. It "creeps" and gets under the lead. Not sure if you have to use two steps and remove the carbon crud first with a suppressor though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast