Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Longneck (Formerly Northern Lancaster County), Delaware

Default Re: Which Flintlock?

Quote Originally Posted by 41 Redhawk View Post
    User wstrayer has a T/C Renegade for sale in the classified. More than you indicated you wanted to spend but the T/Cs were considered the best of the "out of box" flintlocks.
    I had a T/C Hawkin .50 back in the mid ‘70’s. At that time there were only a few designated Game Lands where you could hunt in the late flint lock season. I liked that gun but sold it years later, along with many of my “hunting guns” , when I mostly gave up hunting to concentrate on fox trapping.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by 41 Redhawk View Post
    User wstrayer has a T/C Renegade for sale in the classified. More than you indicated you wanted to spend but the T/Cs were considered the best of the "out of box" flintlocks.
    I moved from a Traditions PA Pellet to a TC Renegade. The Traditions absolutely worked, but the TC is just a better put together gun. Nicer fit, nicer triggers, just overall a quality feeling gun.

The TC guns are hard to beat for the money. Renegades have less drop in the stock than their Hawken replicas. They also have heavier 1" barrels. Lyman are another option. Lots of folks like the Lyman Deerstalker for the 24" barrel. All of these have 1-48" twist rifling. Does OK with round ball or conicals.. I also have an old TC Hawken in .50 cal that gives me a 3" group at 100 yards. The Green Mountain barreled Renegade shoots a real tight group at 100 yards. Recoil gets heavy with the conical due to projectile weight.
    Neither the .50 or the .54 is a great killer. They punch a hole through deer but the deer will run a bit before falling.
    Some shoot the plastic sabots with 44 jhp bullets for better energy transfer but I find the sabots to not shoot as well for me and plastic residue in the barrel needs to be addressed.

(Berks County)

I went with a PA Pellet , I like the fact it has a removable breech plug , makes cleaning a lot easier. Accurate , inexpensive and fun to shoot.

As others have noted it's a 1:48 twist and mine likes the Hornady Great Plains bullet 385 grains much better than the sabots . I also tried patch and ball but the best accuracy I got was with the Hornady bullet.

flint.jpg
    flint1.jpg
    Fortuna audaces iuvat
    "Who is John Galt?"
    Deus Vult

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke2A View Post
    I went with a PA Pellet , I like the fact it has a removable breech plug , makes cleaning a lot easier. Accurate , inexpensive and fun to shoot.

As others have noted it's a 1:48 twist and mine likes the Hornady Great Plains bullet 385 grains much better than the sabots . I also tried patch and ball but the best accuracy I got was with the Hornady bullet.

flint.jpg
    flint1.jpg
    That's like buying an aluminum Christmas tree, lol.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke2A View Post

flint.jpg
    flint1.jpg
    Speaking from experience, when removing your barrel from the stock, pull straight out away from the tang. If you lift out at an angle (as you would with any other flintlock), you will bend and possibly crack the tang. Perhaps loosening the tang screws would help, can't confirm.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbs4421 View Post
    I’ve hunted Pa most of my life using bows and guns, but never tried hunting with muzzle loaders. I’d like to do my research in the off season and be ready to hunt Pa next late season(after Christmas). I really don’t know where to get started. I would say that my budget would be $500 for the rifle. Any input would be appreciated
    Thanks, Isaac
    If authenticity matters, $500 won't get you far in the flintlock world. I know you are just looking for a hunting rifle that qualifies for the late season, but if you get the historical bug, you will find that $500 won't even buy a decent set of parts to assemble. The one exception to this is that you can occasionally find a Dixie Southern Mountain Rifle in this price range. They are good shooters and pass the smell test for authenticity.

(Westmoreland County)

Good time to,search the local gun shops for trade in muzzleloaders. I started with a used T/C that was converted from cap to flint. Worked well and got me a doe or two. When I found a almost new Lyman deerstalker I jumped on it. I still use round balls and mostly shoot under 50 yards. My freezer is full, so it works.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12