Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Schuylkill County)

Default S&W 5906 Worth Fixing?

I have an early 5906 that needs some work. The frame is wearing out where the recoil spring guide rod contacts it. I'm guessing that it can be welded and ground down. It would also need a new recoil spring and guide rod. Lastly the barrel has seen better days. I haven't shot it in a while, but I remember the occasional keyhole.

My brain is telling me that these repairs aren't really worth it. The biggest reason I'm considering getting it fixed is because it was my first firearm. I'm also a big fan of all metal guns.

Would you consider fixing this thing? Does anyone know of a smith that would weld on a stainless frame?

Default Re: S&W 5906 Worth Fixing?

The 5906 comes up for sale frequently and the prices aren't anywhere near as bad as a 10mm 3rd gen S&W. Welding that frame is going to be expensive. How much is it worth to you? If you don't repair it, maybe think about replacing it and "retire" the old one. Maybe put it in a nice display box, lol.

(Lehigh County)

If you are the original owner, doesn't S&W have a lifetime warranty?
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    The 5906 comes up for sale frequently and the prices aren't anywhere near as bad as a 10mm 3rd gen S&W. Welding that frame is going to be expensive. How much is it worth to you? If you don't repair it, maybe think about replacing it and "retire" the old one. Maybe put it in a nice display box, lol.
    I already knew this was the answer, but I had to ask anyway. I like it fine enough to keep it but don't love it enough to replace it with another one. Of course, it's been a long time since I shot it. Maybe I'll take it shooting one last time.

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post
    It was a police trade in that I bought during the Clinton AWB years. I'm not the original owner.

Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post
    Sort of. They stopped supporting their 3rd gen pistols about 10yrs ago. Basically it was, call and send the gun in. IF they had the parts, they'd fix it. If not, then you'd either get your gun back as it was, or they'd offer you something like an M&P if it was determined that the gun was no longer safe to shoot. The process was not quick. In some cases taking months or even years to get a response from S&W.

Quote Originally Posted by eyecanshoot View Post
    I already knew this was the answer, but I had to ask anyway. I like it fine enough to keep it but don't love it enough to replace it with another one. Of course, it's been a long time since I shot it. Maybe I'll take it shooting one last time.
    Centerfire Systems at one time had 5906 frames for sale for like $70. You may want to look around to see if anyone has a notify option. You never know what you might luck into.

(Schuylkill County)

Sort of. They stopped supporting their 3rd gen pistols about 10yrs ago. Basically it was, call and send the gun in. IF they had the parts, they'd fix it. If not, then you'd either get your gun back as it was, or they'd offer you something like an M&P if it was determined that the gun was no longer safe to shoot. The process was not quick. In some cases taking months or even years to get a response from S&W.
    About 10 years ago I called them up about a recall for the grips cracking. They didn't even want to know my serial number. They just sent me a new set of grips.

(Schuylkill County)

Centerfire Systems at one time had 5906 frames for sale for like $70. You may want to look around to see if anyone has a notify option. You never know what you might luck into.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check them out.

I would still like to talk to a smith about fixing my gun if anyone has any suggestions. I can really relate to my 5906 being old and worn out but still working.

Quote Originally Posted by eyecanshoot View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check them out.

I would still like to talk to a smith about fixing my gun if anyone has any suggestions. I can really relate to my 5906 being old and worn out but still working.
    Try Sean @ cdi custom - cdicustom@hotmail.com. He's a member here. Does excellent work. He may be able to help you out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast