Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Warren County)

Default Paging POOFA brain trust

Looking for optics for some AR platforms.
    Prolly some kind of red-dot or laser

Objectives:

Hella reliable
    Affordable
    Quick acquisition of target
    Shake awake - if possible

Planned use:
    Short to medium range

What are your recommendations?
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Northumberland County)

Default Re: Paging POOFA brain trust

Sig Romeo of your preferred flavor. Kinda partial to the 7, sometimes gets down to $100 but still good at $120.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/sig-...-sor75002.html

When it comes to optics, the more expensive ones are generally more reliable/durable. I'm partial to red dots that aren't made in China.

Holosun 510/512. Tried true and battle tested. I have them on 6 guns and if i'm running a course or grab it at 3am off my nightstand, it's ready.
    iAnal

(York County)

I agree with the Sig Romeo. It runs on regular batteries and has something like 50k hours run time and is shake awake. My nephew is a Sgt in SWAT and that's what he has on his duty AR. For the price & reliability I'm not sure it can be beat. I am also a fan of Holosun products but my belief is the Sig Romeo is a little more rugged. I do personally own both a Sig Romeo 5XDR red dot sight and a Holosun 507C on my Glock 34.
    Last edited by guncollector; January 13th, 2024 at 01:53 PM.

(Clearfield County)

I would go with a prism scope, they're basically the best of both worlds. Magnification and not battery dependent (though they tend to have illuminated reticles) like a regular scope, but more forgiving eye relief and the same footprint of a red dot

(Clarion County)

Disclaimer, my eyes aren't what they used to be.
    Never could get into the smaller red dots.
    Had an eotech circle dot the had a wider view that I really liked. Eotech hit the skids awhile back and offered to buy back their units. Took them up on it.
    Finally ended up, as raxar points to, a low power 1-4 scope that has an illuminated dot.
    Has worked out well. If I was looking today I'd check out the Holosun circle dot units.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Allegheny County)

Sig Romeo 5 has been generally accepted as the best red dot value for the money for many years now.
    I wouldn't pay more than $140 - used to get them for $100 shipped, but more recently I think $120ish is about as low as they get.

Sig Romeo MSR is NOT shake awake, but has decent battery life. I just leave mine on at mid power 24/7
    It's a good quality at a good price - it just lacks shake awake.
    I wouldn't pay more than $90 for one on sale though - used to find them for $75

Sig Romeo 7S has shake awake and uses commonly available AAA batteries. Includes flip up lens caps.
    I think these can be had for around $120 on sale

At a lower budget price point, I bought two Northtac Ronin P-12 red dots for more "range use" types of guns.
    I would not pay their regular prices - I got them for $50 ea shipped during a sale (Black Fri last year or year prior)
    So far so good - better quality than some super-cheapo red dots I have. Shake awake works well.

And I'll throw this in as well. Primary Arms red dots are some great optics at affordable prices.

I picked up the Primary Arms SLx MD25 for $99 shipped and I REALLY like it.
    This is one that I would be willing to pay more if I needed another one.
    It's larger (overall and in optic diameter) than the ones mentioned above, but it's not TOO large.
    They just came out with second generation versions that DO have shake awake.
    Check out some reviews.

And while I can't really recommend this as it's my most recent red dot and I haven't had it long enough to say much about it, I'm also impressed by the quality of the build and VERY crisp, bright dot on the Monstrum Tactical Ghost red dot.
    Mine does not have shake awake, but here's a link to their newest version that does.
    https://monstrumtactical.com/gen-3-1...h-shake-awake/
    Another one that can be had for much less than the regular price if you wait for a sale. (they sell blemas and open box units too)

Final thought:

ABSOLUTE Co-witness, or Lower 1/3 Co-witness?
    Have you a preference? It's something to keep in mind while looking and comparing.
    Seems like every time I found something I was happy with, it ended up having lower 1/3 co-witness mount included - I prefer absolute co-witness height mounts.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Warren County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Snip

Final thought:

ABSOLUTE Co-witness, or Lower 1/3 Co-witness?
    Have you a preference? It's something to keep in mind while looking and comparing.
    Seems like every time I found something I was happy with, it ended up having lower 1/3 co-witness mount included - I prefer absolute co-witness height mounts.
    Holy Shit - thanks for the info!

Thank all Yinz!!

My ignorance on Co-Witness and Lower 1/3 co-witness is pretty profound.

What am I looking for? Pros? Cons? Goofier Point of impact depending on distance to target?

Found it
    https://www.targettamers.com/guides/...hts-explained/
    Last edited by markshere2; January 12th, 2024 at 07:25 AM.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Bucks County)

Absolute or 1/3 is really personal preference, I go Absolute. If your rifle has a fixed front sight, you can still go Absolute Co Witness and a 1-4 LPVO. The scope focuses beyond the front sight rendering it essentially invisible when looking through it.

Sig Romeo 5 is solid at low end if you want red dot with shake awake. You could also get the Vortex micro 3X magnifier to put behind it if you want a better view and they flip in or out of line as sight as needed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast