Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Beaver County)

Default New shotgun recc?

I down own a shotgun but curious what would be a good first one to grab

(Clearfield County)

Default Re: New shotgun recc?

Probably a mossberg 500, in whatever configuration you want. Stay away from the turkish guns, as it's unpredictable as to whether they'll be good or not.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    Probably a mossberg 500, in whatever configuration you want. Stay away from the turkish guns, as it's unpredictable as to whether they'll be good or not.
    I concur. The Turkish made shotguns are hit/miss on whether they will be problematic.

A Mossberg 500/590 or a Remington 870 are excellent starting points and your grandkids will be able to use them once you pass on.

You can often get them cheap on the used market, and there are countless aftermarket goodies for them.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lackawanna County)

I would look for older pump in good condition. Mossberg 500, Remington 870, Ithaca 37, Winchester 1200.

(Bucks County)

I agree with the mossberg 500, rem 870 recommendation. However, we have a CZ Quail o/u that was made in turkey. It's solid and I've never heard of any issues with the cz turkish guns.

OLDER rem870 is probably the number 1 go to shotgun in use today.
    FJB

(Allegheny County)

Price range? Home defense, sport, or hunting?

For $250ish is the Mossberg Maverick 88 which is the budget 500.

For $500ish (just to use round numbers) there's the Coke/Pepsi Moss 500 / Rem 870

Triple that for some great semi-autos.

Most basic stocks suck (too long, not confirgurable) many will get the Magpul replacement one for around $100ish.

For customization there's places like Langdon and VangComp that will aftermarket and make it Purdy.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sblzrd65 View Post
    Price range? Home defense, sport, or hunting?

For $250ish is the Mossberg Maverick 88 which is the budget 500.

For $500ish (just to use round numbers) there's the Coke/Pepsi Moss 500 / Rem 870

Triple that for some great semi-autos.

Most basic stocks suck (too long, not confirgurable) many will get the Magpul replacement one for around $100ish.

For customization there's places like Langdon and VangComp that will aftermarket and make it Purdy.
    Good questions above in bold. I forgot to ask such.

Like rifles, shotguns can have different purposes. Hunting(small game, bird, or large game), sport shooting(clays, "turkey shoots", etc), defensive, collectors pieces, etc.

The Moss 500/590 and Rem 870 guns I had mentioned can perform many of those purposes. But sometimes you might want to specifically tailor a gun to a practice.

I have single shot H&R/NEF*(12, 20, and 28ga) and dad's Stevens SxS 16ga for hunting, and I'd use his 870 for turkey shoots(it is a proven winner). I've got a 590 Shockwave for home and truckgun duties, and now a Turkish pump for more tactical shit.

*yeah, I still prefer a singleshot for squirrel, rabbit, and upland bird & dove. My 28ga NEF is still the first gun I grab for those critters.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

I am a Remington 870 fanboy. I recommend one of those. You can use a standard 870 to hunt deer, ducks, squirrels, bears, grouse, shoot sporting clays, trap, skeet or defend your home from masked marauders.