Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: 9mm Crimped Primers?

9mm is a PITA to reload. You have to sort for .380 and 9mm Mak cases that look very similar, look into each case and remove the ones that have the setback ledge in them, and as mentioned check for crimps and now for norma small primer holes. No matter how well you sort every now and then on a progressive you feel a crunch and have to stop and figure out what went wrong (while avoiding a double charge).

Most people at my range don't bother to keep them and there are enough stray cartridges around so you have to resort every time you come back from the range. All this for reloading the one round where you only save pennies vs factory rounds.

(Washington County)

There is a seller with replacement depriming pins for Lee dies on amazon. They are economical and come in a bulk pack. With those on hand I just crank brass through the XL650 without a care. Every now and then I bend a pin. I think I find NATO 9mm with a crimped primer about 1 in every 1000. Usually the primer pops out without an issue and I discover it when attempting to seat a new primer. I just swage the pocket with the Dillon primer pocket swager and load it.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by JoshIronshaft View Post
    There is a seller with replacement depriming pins for Lee dies on amazon. They are economical and come in a bulk pack. With those on hand I just crank brass through the XL650 without a care. Every now and then I bend a pin. I think I find NATO 9mm with a crimped primer about 1 in every 1000. Usually the primer pops out without an issue and I discover it when attempting to seat a new primer. I just swage the pocket with the Dillon primer pocket swager and load it.
    When I bought out a guy's home machine shop, it came with thousands of drill bits. I replace broken depriming pins with drill bits. If I have a problem with Hornady (I think it is) small ignition holes, I'll just get a smaller drill bit out.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by JoshIronshaft View Post
    When I bought out a guy's home machine shop, it came with thousands of drill bits. I replace broken depriming pins with drill bits. If I have a problem with Hornady (I think it is) small ignition holes, I'll just get a smaller drill bit out.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Delaware County)

As someone else said, check the NATO, typically at 124gr.
    My three favorite things in life are guns, girls and cars. Everything else is secondary.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12