Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Camping Wood Stoves Recommendations

Looking for camping wood stove recommendations! Preferably something that can handle extreme weather conditions without breaking the bank. I've read about a few budget options but worried about their durability.
    Any suggestions for a reliable, affordable wood stove that won't disappoint during harsh climates? Also, wondering if anyone has tips on modifying these stoves for higher efficiency or any DIY hacks to enhance performance.
    Open to any advice or experiences!

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Camping Wood Stoves Recommendations

You posted in Lancaster, but your profile says you're in NY. Regardless in Lancaster there are a few shop to try. Out on 340, before you get to Intercourse, there's the Coleman store, they have a selection of wood stoves. Further down 340 just as you're entering intercourse, on the left side is a stove shop. Never been in there, but it's there. There's one, in Bird in Hand off of Maple Lane as you get to the industrial buildings. Pull into the driveway towards the buildings then go to your right, there's a stove shop back there. Big one with lots of parts and accessories. I'm sure there's many more, but those are the ones I've been to, driven past. They're all Amish/Mennonite owned so they don't have a website as far as I know. If you're in the area you could hit all three of them in an hour.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Lancaster County)

Here's a great deal on a compact stove (on sale for $59,95 now) I was looking at last night, I couldn't use it as a tent heater since I've transitioned to Roof Top Tent, But I often go the State Forrest campgrounds for a late winter/ early spring camp, and they have a campfire burn ban from March 1st till May 30 every year and speaking to one of the rangers something like this would be permissible

https://majorsurplus.com/great-north...amp-stove.html

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by SgtRecon View Post
    Here's a great deal on a compact stove (on sale for $59,95 now) I was looking at last night, I couldn't use it as a tent heater since I've transitioned to Roof Top Tent, But I often go the State Forrest campgrounds for a late winter/ early spring camp, and they have a campfire burn ban from March 1st till May 30 every year and speaking to one of the rangers something like this would be permissible

https://majorsurplus.com/great-north...amp-stove.html

I use one of these Great Northern stoves in my tent. They work OK but you will be reloading the stove every couple hours. Plus the small diameter flue pipe loads up with creosote very fast.

(Berks County)

As a lifelong pyromaniac, the thought of a wood stove in a tent scares me. What kind of tents are yous talking about and how do you run the smokestack?
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    As a lifelong pyromaniac, the thought of a wood stove in a tent scares me. What kind of tents are yous talking about and how do you run the smokestack?
    I am using my woodstove in a 7x9 canvas bell wedge. I have a heat resistant stove jack sewed into the wall where the flue exits.