Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Jefferson County)

Default Re: Martini Receivers and such

Quote Originally Posted by MD66948 View Post
    Are there any companies currently making barrels the Martini-Henry?
    Not that I know of. But there are a number of companies that make barrels. My uncle has a lathe, milling machine, presses, and the rest of the goodies you'd find at a machinist's shop. So long as there is enough meat on the barrel, threading can be made.

Then I can buy/rent a reamer for whatever cartridge I want. If it is a standard cartridge, it is a straight off the shelf deal. If a wildcat of my own, then I'd have to have one made. Making a reamer myself would be a real turd - requires specially harder stock metal and special even harder tooling.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Bucks County)

There are a number of gunsmiths who specialize in wildcatting rimmed moderate pressure cartridges for the contender pistol and I would assume they still have all of the custom reamers they experimented with. They can also supply dies and loading data. The best known is JD Jones of SSK. He has a whole line of cartridges based on the 444 magnum case which looks very similar in dimensions as the 303 brass. His most popular is the 375 JDJ that has been used to kill large African game, including elephants, with a pistol (not recommended but they did it).

Gary Reeder also has some powerful African style cartridges based on the 405 Winchester. This case also has a similar body than the 303 / 444 but it is 1/4 inch longer so this might be able to be used like the 9.3x74mmR without trimming.

https://reedercustomguns.com/informa...cartridges.htm

I am sure they made reamers in other bore sizes than the main ones listed if you want a rare custom cartridge.

Anyone have 9.3x74R brass?

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hib View Post
    Anyone have 9.3x74R brass?
    I'm not seeing any available online at the moment, but I know Norma puts out batches of it yearly.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

(Bucks County)

My choice would be a .32-40 WCF. Cases are easy to form from .30-30 WCF. very accurate cartridge. Can be loeaded with black or smokeless. I have a C. Sharps 1885 Highwall in .32-40 and a Winchester 94 in .32_40. Both are dead accurate. Mild cartridge to boot.

God luck with the project. BTW bullet diameter in .322

Jeff
    NRA Benefactor member
    NRA 2nd Amendment Foundation
    Colt Collectors Association
    Browning Collectors Association
    Sharps Arms Collectors Association
    SASS Association

SANS PEUR et SANS REPROACHE

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pukindog View Post
    My choice would be a .32-40 WCF. Cases are easy to form from .30-30 WCF. very accurate cartridge. Can be loeaded with black or smokeless. I have a C. Sharps 1885 Highwall in .32-40 and a Winchester 94 in .32_40. Both are dead accurate. Mild cartridge to boot.

God luck with the project. BTW bullet diameter in .322

Jeff
    I haven't completely ruled-out .32-40. I have a thing for .32 caliber guns. lol

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123