Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 9 of 41 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Default Re: Who makes the best AR15 ?

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    Thank you.

SPC = Statistical Process Control (e.g. "sampling").

The reason Colt MP's every bolt and every barrel is because it is a requirement of the government (military) contract. That's just one reason Colt's quality, and consequently their cost, is higher. It's more costly to test every bolt and every barrel and discard those that fail.
    I'm well aware of the SPC process. I've been an Aerospace Machinist for over 35 years. What makes you think civilian Colt models are undergoing 100% inspection? Colt government models are not the same as civilian models. Here is what Bushmaster has to say about it:

Hello,
    Bushmaster tries to meet or exceed the Mil Spec whenever possible. Yes, the carriers are manufactured and inspected to the Mil Spec. Basically the only non conforming parts is the commercial telestock extension tube which is slightly larger in diameter than a Mil Spec tube.
    On the other hand Colt civilian models have been produced with screw type front pivot pins instead of push pins, fire control parts http://www.bushmaster.com/catalog_pa..._p2.asp#AREHAB that use larger pivot pins, sear blocks installed over the safety so some competition triggers can not be installed as well as plastic buffers filled with lead shot in some of the telestocks.
    Thank you,

Jim Eden
    Technical Support
    Bushmaster Firearms International, LLC
    Office: 1-800-883-6229 ext. 277
    Fax: 207-892-8068

That doesn't sound so wonderful and "Mil-Spec." to me???? Bill T.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by billt View Post
    I'm well aware of the SPC process. I've been an Aerospace Machinist for over 35 years. What makes you think civilian Colt models are undergoing 100% inspection? Colt government models are not the same as civilian models. Here is what Bushmaster has to say about it:

Hello,
    Bushmaster tries to meet or exceed the Mil Spec whenever possible. Yes, the carriers are manufactured and inspected to the Mil Spec. Basically the only non conforming parts is the commercial telestock extension tube which is slightly larger in diameter than a Mil Spec tube.
    On the other hand Colt civilian models have been produced with screw type front pivot pins instead of push pins, fire control parts http://www.bushmaster.com/catalog_pa..._p2.asp#AREHAB that use larger pivot pins, sear blocks installed over the safety so some competition triggers can not be installed as well as plastic buffers filled with lead shot in some of the telestocks.
    Thank you,

Jim Eden
    Technical Support
    Bushmaster Firearms International, LLC
    Office: 1-800-883-6229 ext. 277
    Fax: 207-892-8068

That doesn't sound so wonderful and "Mil-Spec." to me???? Bill T.
    The "non mil-spec" parts referred to by Mr. Eden have nothing to do with quality of components. The screw type pivot pin and over sized trigger / hammer pins have always been the last fall back position of Colt nay sayers. IMNSHO they're a non issue. IOW they do not diminish from the weapons capability.

OTOH, the bolts and bolt carriers of both the .mil and commercial product lines undergo the same QC standards. IIRC, Colt is now even installing M16 carriers in the 6920 (re: the BATFE ruling some years ago).

It doesn't matter to me what manufacturer people choose to purchase. The OP asked for opinions and I gave mine.

The basis for my opinion is first hand observations in conjunction with others in the private sector training industry which to date is far and away the best source of information regarding reliability and durability of the various AR15 manufacturers. Collectively we see several thousand weapons yearly and the consensus that Colt rifles run the best with the least problems has not changed.

Does the casual shooter need to invest in a Colt rifle? Probably not unless it is also going to serve as a HD weapon.

Do Colt rifles occasionally exhibit problems? Yes they do but not nearly at the rate or frequency of other brands.

Certain corners that BM cuts do not trouble me (e.g. not parkerizing under the FSB) because they have no bearing on reliability. However, I have personally had to stake several BM carrier keys. Three of which belonged to a personal friend.

Bill,

Please don't hate me because I prefer and recommend Colt.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    Bill, Please don't hate me because I prefer and recommend Colt.
    I don't. I was just pointing out that Colt civilian models are not the same, or made to the same standard as Colt or FN Government issue battle rifles. Bill T.

(Philadelphia County)

I JUST BOUGHT MY FIRST AR-15, A DPMS PANTHER AP4 CARBINE WITH AN A3 UPPER AND A 16" BARREL. I LOVE IT.

EVERYONE RAVES ABOUT COLT, AND IT IS A GREAT QUALITY RIFLE IF YOU PLAN ON RUNNING THROUGH THE WOODS AND CRAWLING THROUGH THE MUD, THAT SUCKER CAN TAKE A BEATING. OTHERS THAT YOU CANT GO WRONG WITH ARE: ROCK RIVER ARMS IF YOU WANT TO WAIT 6 TO 8 MONTHS FOR ONE, IF NOT BUSHMASTER, LMT, DPMS, SABRE DEFENSE, OLYMPIC AND STAG ARE ALL VERY GOOD WEAPONS OF CHOICE. I ALSO HEAR THAT SMITH & WESSON MAKES PRETTY NICE RIFLE TOO.

Another thing worth mentioning is for you guys who buy rather than build, purchase your AR-15 from Davidsons. www.galleryofguns.com They carry Bushmaster, S&W, Charles Daly, and Colt, (except they never have any Colts in stock). Enter your Zip Code and they will hook you up with a dealer in your area that will handle the transaction for you. You can even shop for the best price right from your computer. Here is the good part. Every gun you buy from them, regardless of make or model, comes with A LIFETIME FREE REPLACEMENT WARRANTY! No one else in the industry has this type of unconditional guarantee. Most all gun dealers have a sign over the counter that reads "All Firearm Sales Are Final". Not Davidsons. Because of this it makes all Colt arguments a moot point, simply because who cares if your gun breaks. If it does you will have a brand new gun in your hands in 72 hours, or less. I've used this guarantee on a Ruger Mark II .22 Pistol last year. I bought the gun, took it to the range, and at about round 80 it broke. (Trigger wouldn't reset). I called my dealer and he told me to bring it in with the box and all of the paperwork. When I got there he had already called Davidsons and they said they were sending another one out right away. THE NEXT DAY I HAD A BRAND NEW GUN IN MY HAND! You simply cannot beat that kind of a guarantee, or service. I have bought all 5 of my Bushmasters this way, and will continue to buy from them. It is simply foolish to do otherwise. Bill T.
    Last edited by billt; May 29th, 2008 at 12:46 PM.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    Standard DPMS barrels are easily capable of .5 moa if you aren't chroming them and you use good ammo. Ammo selection is critical. Lots of guys out there with 1:7 barrels shooting 55gr bullets and can't figure out why they can't shoot 1 moa.

LycanrunsagainstalotofJP'sthrope
    I picked up a few boxes of this... as soon as I can get out and break the AR-15 in, I'll run some through and let you know how it is.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by MTechnik View Post
    I picked up a few boxes of this... as soon as I can get out and break the AR-15 in, I'll run some through and let you know how it is.
    Please do. And let us know the twist rate.

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    Please do. And let us know the twist rate.
    1:8, wylde chamber...

(Allegheny County)

You may want to check out Armory for a price on those PP Match before you order them again.
    http://the-armory.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/index.html

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by 1832 View Post
    You may want to check out Armory for a price on those PP Match before you order them again.
    http://the-armory.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/index.html
    $0.39/round from the armory sure beats what I've been paying... I also need to find a good price on black hills 69 grain SMK's...

Page 9 of 41 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast