Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 41 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    (Bedford County)

Default Re: Who makes the best AR15 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    BUCKMARK,

No pissing match with me.

I just wanted to address that Milspec is not always "quality" in reference to the application. And....certain features are just that....features. They do not always add value to a civilian application.....or even a specialized military application.

If I have offended anyone with my input, that was not my intention and I sincerely apologize.
    No flames here my man, and I do take in your info, so post away.

I know what makes a military AR run...as for most of that custom stuff you post...I pay attention because SOME of it is indeed better, and I like most folks will always look at things to improve my gear.

You mentioned $1400 being a crazy price for a Colt 6920...

I walked into a Gander Mt. and they have the Bushmaster Patrolman M4A3 ON SALE for $999 + tax. And those things sell at that price! Crazy aint it?

Some people must not shop on the net.

If interested in the bushmaster M4a3 patrolman, Call Kneskek. He quoted me $855+ $20 shipping..
    Last edited by dasanii19; May 20th, 2007 at 03:03 AM.

(Fulton County)

LOL 6920 some people will pay more for the pony

ive shot a 6920 and a few other colts they are nice but i still prefer my LMT

my LMT will take the kool aid challenge with a 6920 anyday.

Here are the major differences between bushmaster ar-15 and colt ar-15 If anyone cares..

Bushmaster uses the rifle front sight base instead of the F-marked front sight base. Practical difference: You may need a taller front sight post with the Bushmaster using some sights.

Bushmaster does not parkerize under the front sight base. Practical difference: You'll get a little rust there; but not much. The Bushmaster barrel pictured below was almost 10 years old when this picture was taken and it had been out in the rain and used quite a bit:

Bushmaster does not magnetic particle test or proof test its bolts. Colt does. Practical difference: Not much. The Colt has higher QC to prevent bolt breakage but it still happens with both models.

Bushmaster uses standard carbine handguards instead of double-shield M4 handguards. These circulate air around the barrel better; but also make the rifle hotter to hold and are narrower.

Bushmaster uses a standard rifle front sling. Colt uses a side-mounted front sling. Practical difference: The Bushmaster will roll using some tactical slings, the Colt won't.

Bushmaster uses standard AR15 feed ramps. Colt uses the extended M4 feed ramps. Practical difference - the Colt feeds hollowpoints, long OAL rounds better and is more reliable in high cyclic rate situations (full-auto, suppressor).

Bushmaster uses a 1/9 twist barrel. Colt uses a 1/7 twist barrel. Practical difference: The Colt will stabilize heavier, longer rounds better than the 1/9. With the Bushmaster, you may be limited to 69gr or less rounds (some Bushmaster barrels can handle up to 75gr, some cannot - kind of a crap shoot).

Bushmaster comes with a standard carbine buffer. Colt comes with an H-Buffer. Practical difference: Colt buffer is 1oz heavier which comes in handy with suppressors but otherwise does nothing beyond aiding reliability just a tiny bit.

Bushmaster comes with a blue extractor insert and normal AR15 extractor spring. Colt comes with a black extractor insert and heavy duty extractor spring. Practical difference: The Colt extracts more reliably; but the Bushmaster is easy enough to upgrade to the same standard for about $25.

Finally, Colt has much, much better QC than Bushmaster; but if something does go wrong, then good luck getting it fixed. Bushmaster on the other hand commonly has issues such as improperly staked gas keys, gas keys too loose, overtorqued barrels and various other minor issues; but they are very good about fixing their problems.

Those are the major differences off the top of my head. So now you just have to decide if they are worth the $355 difference in price.
    Last edited by dasanii19; November 6th, 2007 at 10:10 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Unlike the old days it almost seems that no one really makes a bad AR. Personally in terms of value for the money I think Olympic Arms, Stag or Eagle are fine.
    Bushmaster puts out a very nice rifle but they constantly screw around with the specs. Rock River barrels are very nice.
    Just pick one. You almost can't go wrong anymore. I would get a unit with a removable carry handle until you find out what kind of gun, and shooter, you really need/are.

(Centre County)

back when I was looking for AR15, and wondered same question, I joined M4.com, and basically asked same question.

Everyone tells me different, but basicaly what I got is unless its Colt 6920, and everything else is junk in oneway or other.
    I was like everyone else. I wanted Mil-Spec. dead reliable gun.
    but after several months of thinking and talking to other more informed member(not those just tell you "get Colt 6920" flatout), I bought my Bushmaster.

Reason? In all reality, none of us would fully appriciate so called "Mil-Spec". We'll never fire our AR15 in Full auto or 3shot burst. We'll never shoot our gun in real war. can you REALLY tell the difference that fact Colt magnetic particle test their gun? Or Colt uses the extended M4 feed ramps and Bush don't. My still feeds hollow point without hitch. Colt comes with an H-Buffer, and Bush dont. Makes no difference whatssoever in semi auto shooting. But if you must, you can just get H-Buffer. they are around 50bucks
    My non-mil spec AR 15 have performed flawlessly, rounds after rounds, never skipped beat. Sometimes I keep it wet with oil, sometimes I don't. Sometimes its clean, sometimes its not. I've shot 223, 5.56, made in US, Russia, south african, and some I'm not even sure where its made. Brass, mild steel with laquer. FMJ, HP, SP. they all shoot just as well

It never missed beat.

If i was ask to take my gun to Iraq and fight a war, may be I'd think about getting colt. But otherwise, I see no reason really to justify spending almost X2 as much on Colt

but for everything else, my "lowly" Bushmaster does just as well as DPMS or Colt or everythingelse out there.

now this doesn't mean I'm bashing colt. They are damn good gun. I wish I have it instead. But in the end, I sleep good knowing that my $799 AR15 perform just as well as $1700 Colt 6920.

Its like buying a Ferrari, instread of my Mustang GT.
    Ferrari may be faster, cooler, and FAR more expensive then My Mustang. But it still gets me to point A to point B just as well as Ferrari do. They might have faster topspeed, and are capable of sustaining that, but then most highway is regulated to 65mph anyway

So get what you want to get. Because whatever you get, is what your gonna be happy with
    Last edited by Mity2; November 6th, 2007 at 08:59 PM.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

Quote Originally Posted by Mity2 View Post
    back when I was looking for AR15, and wondered same question, I joined M4.com, and basically asked same question.

Everyone tells me different, but basicaly what I got is unless its Colt 6920, and everything else is junk in oneway or other.
    I was like everyone else. I wanted Mil-Spec. dead reliable gun.
    but after several months of thinking and talking to other more informed member(not those just tell you "get Colt 6920" flatout), I bought my Bushmaster.

Reason? In all reality, none of us would fully appriciate so called "Mil-Spec". We'll never fire our AR15 in Full auto or 3shot burst. We'll never shoot our gun in real war. can you REALLY tell the difference that fact Colt magnetic particle test their gun? Or Colt uses the extended M4 feed ramps and Bush don't. My still feeds hollow point without hitch. Colt comes with an H-Buffer, and Bush dont. Makes no difference whatssoever in semi auto shooting. But if you must, you can just get H-Buffer. they are around 50bucks
    My non-mil spec AR 15 have performed flawlessly, rounds after rounds, never skipped beat. Sometimes I keep it wet with oil, sometimes I don't. Sometimes its clean, sometimes its not. I've shot 223, 5.56, made in US, Russia, south african, and some I'm not even sure where its made. Brass, mild steel with laquer. FMJ, HP, SP. they all shoot just as well

It never missed beat.

If i was ask to take my gun to Iraq and fight a war, may be I'd think about getting colt. But otherwise, I see no reason really to justify spending almost X2 as much on Colt

but for everything else, my "lowly" Bushmaster does just as well as DPMS or Colt or everythingelse out there.

now this doesn't mean I'm bashing colt. They are damn good gun. I wish I have it instead. But in the end, I sleep good knowing that my $799 AR15 perform just as well as $1700 Colt 6920.

Its like buying a Ferrari, instread of my Mustang GT.
    Ferrari may be faster, cooler, and FAR more expensive then My Mustang. But it still gets me to point A to point B just as well as Ferrari do. They might have faster topspeed, and are capable of sustaining that, but then most highway is regulated to 65mph anyway

So get what you want to get. Because whatever you get, is what your gonna be happy with

$1,700 Colt 6920? huh? Seems like someone was trying to pull a fast one on you. They go for in between $1,150-$1,299 brand new. In all reality, your paying about $200-$300 more for a Colt. Is it worth it? In my personal opinion yes.. And heres the old chart non Colt owners dont like. But its fact, so take it as you will.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by dasanii19 View Post
    Here are the major differences between bushmaster ar-15 and colt ar-15 If anyone cares..
    Hey dasanii19,

Thanks for sharing your expertise with us and I especially like that chart. I too own a Colt, so I really appreciate the thorough information you've provided.

Take care,

rand

Smile Re: Who makes the best AR15 ?

Your welcome, I forgot to add the picture above so i made an edit.

(Mercer County)

The question who makes the best AR-15, for QUALITY and MIL SPECS.
    Look no further than the Knight SR-25, it was designed by the Eugene Stoner who I will refer to as the father of the AR's.
    The U.S. Navy SEALs adopted the 7.62 x 51 mm SR25 sniper rifle, made by Knight’s Armament Company, of Vero Beach, Fla.
    The SR 25 is available to both the civilian and military market place.

The SR25 in my opinion is the best of the best and since you said that $$$$ didn't matter the SR25 with it's over $5,000 price shouldn't be a problem. I bought one over 12 year ago at lot better price and whenever I have her at the range for a test drive she's the center of attention.

oracle
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

Page 5 of 41 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast