Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 38 of 41 FirstFirst ... 283435363738394041 LastLast

Default Re: Who makes the best AR15 ?

Okay I've decided that I'm going to get an AR. I'm saving my money up for one but I'm thinking max budget is $1000. I'm not knowledgeable about ARs but from what I've read I want to stay with the Direct Impingement (traditional AR right), 16" chrome-lined barrel, flat-top and with iron sights. Thats all I really have decided on so far. Anything else I should look at, potentially need. I've been looking at the Stag Model 2 and Model 2T but I'm open to suggestions and other feed-back.

Thanks in advance.

(Bucks County)

I don't know how "strict" your budget is, but for 1750-1800 you can get an SR15.

It'll be a complete rifle with the URX rail, integrated weapon sight, rear 600m sight, ambi controls, sopmod stock, the enhanced reliability of the KAC guns, better gas system, A2 flash hider, 2 stage match trigger, 2 QD sling mounts, and some other things.
    http://knightarmco.com/sr15.html

You couldn't put together that package for less and it'd probably cost a little more.

If you're strict with the $1000, then your Stag sounds like a good place to start.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelVain View Post
    I don't know how "strict" your budget is, but for 1750-1800 you can get an SR15.

It'll be a complete rifle with the URX rail, integrated weapon sight, rear 600m sight, ambi controls, sopmod stock, the enhanced reliability of the KAC guns, better gas system, A2 flash hider, 2 stage match trigger, 2 QD sling mounts, and some other things.

You couldn't put together that package for less and it'd probably cost a little more.

If you're strict with the $1000, then your Stag sounds like a good place to start.
    Yea I'm pretty strict on the $1000 budget. I definitely like the Stag Model 2 or 2T. But the S&W MP15 looks attractive too which has has the $100 rebate or 5 free mags. Sounds like a good deal. Any input on the S&W MP15? They are Direct Impingement right?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ksig1869 View Post
    Okay I've decided that I'm going to get an AR. I'm saving my money up for one but I'm thinking max budget is $1000. I'm not knowledgeable about ARs but from what I've read I want to stay with the Direct Impingement (traditional AR right), 16" chrome-lined barrel, flat-top and with iron sights. Thats all I really have decided on so far. Anything else I should look at, potentially need. I've been looking at the Stag Model 2 and Model 2T but I'm open to suggestions and other feed-back.

Thanks in advance.
    I would put together a lower and grab a BCM upper, based on your lower choices you can come in under a grand with a gun that will be reliable enough for most anything.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelVain View Post

The KAC is very nice

Yea I'm pretty strict on the $1000 budget. I definitely like the Stag Model 2 or 2T. But the S&W MP15 looks attractive too which has has the $100 rebate or 5 free mags. Sounds like a good deal. Any input on the S&W MP15? They are Direct Impingement right?
    They will be DI unless they say "piston"
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

(York County)

Thanks in advance.
    BCM uppers on sale this month, $385 for 16" midlength + $135 for BCG & charging handle. Add another $110 for carry handle or folding rear sight.
    http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-1...urg-mid-16.htm

Spike's lowers on sale this month, $250 for complete lower.
    http://www.spikestactical.com/z/inde...products_id=86

Cav Arms midlength handguards ~$25.
    Gives you a mil-spec rifle with high quality parts and you'll have about $75 left over to buy pmags after everything is shipped. It's very easy to put it together, tons of how to videos on youtube or brownells, I recently did the same setup for my first AR except went BCM lower because Spike's wasn't on sale at the time. Hardest part was putting the handguards on. I researched this for months and this is the best you can do for the money. This is where I break out the "chart" simply to show BCM's quality rather than denigrate any other brand. https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...jFwPrgTA#gid=1

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by atpratt View Post
    BCM uppers on sale this month, $385 for 16" midlength + $135 for BCG & charging handle. Add another $110 for carry handle or folding rear sight.
    http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-1...urg-mid-16.htm

Spike's lowers on sale this month, $250 for complete lower.
    http://www.spikestactical.com/z/inde...products_id=86

Cav Arms midlength handguards ~$25.
    Gives you a mil-spec rifle with high quality parts and you'll have about $75 left over to buy pmags after everything is shipped. It's very easy to put it together, tons of how to videos on youtube or brownells, I recently did the same setup for my first AR except went BCM lower because Spike's wasn't on sale at the time. Hardest part was putting the handguards on. I researched this for months and this is the best you can do for the money. This is where I break out the "chart" simply to show BCM's quality rather than denigrate any other brand. https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...jFwPrgTA#gid=1
    Great set up! I even extended an offer to help him toss it together if need be.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

So I need to learn more than you huh...? really.....no $#@$ that the piston weapons I listed arent AR's. My point was that most highly regarded battle rifles are of one kind or another of piston operation. And who are these "instructors" that have experienced less reliability with piston guns. where do they instruct? Yes, I can see that happening with a home built or a poorly assembled off brand. Show me an HK416 or LWRC that is less reliable....remember that the top AR manufacturers and other large gun companies ( Ruger, S&W) piston ar's have only
    just recently started making these. And BTW, there is also no standard piston mechanism, as all these firms have different designs. I'm not saying that EVERY piston AR is more reliable than DI, only that the best examples of them are hands down more durable and reliable. You responses are vague and you cite no specifics. And again, I disagree that I have more to "Learn" than you, as you need to put the time in and not just get your knowledge from other bloggers....And as far as how I know about Delta, my closest friend was in Delta many years ago, operated covertly in central and South America. He has done and seen things that none of us can ever conceive of. He still keeps in touch with some old friends still in the service to keep abreast of events. I also READ a lot and talk to people. Keep sending your little insulting "daggers", as it seems thats all you're good at.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by westbound View Post
    So I need to learn more than you huh...? really.....no $#@$ that the piston weapons I listed arent AR's.
    But the OP was asking about AR's...

For further discussion on civilian use of piston AR's I have created this thread. Lets keep this discussion on track for the guy.

(Luzerne County)

from what I've read I want to stay with the Direct Impingement (traditional AR right),
    It works for me.
    Not to detract at all from piston driven ARs - I don't know about them, other than what I read - what I do know is that my own Colt DI gun has been 100% reliable in the twenty years that I have owned the gun (note: I shoot only ammo that I have assembled.).
    Ask yourself what is realistically and probably how you will use the gun. The answer is going to be that you will be taking it to the range to shoot at targets and plink around. Even if you take some training, once you are done with that it'll be back to the range and plinking.
    A lot of the differences that have been discussed about the different types of operating systems just don't apply to probable real life use. (I expect that there will be some disagreement with that - I have a rosier view of the future than many - but I don't believe that any of the weapons that are owned and used and cared for by any of the posters have ever been used by them in anger here at home. They are used at the range mostly to shoot at targets and plink.)
    Pete
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

(Chester County)

You guys are aware that this thread is over THREE YEARS OLD. Right?

Page 38 of 41 FirstFirst ... 283435363738394041 LastLast