Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Spear thrower

Default Spear thrower

What ever happened to hunting with a spear thrower (attle-attle?) in PA?
    I know they were going to try it but I never heard anything more about it. Did anyone get a deer with one?

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Spear thrower

i've been trying to find out about this, because i wanted to try it. the only thing i found out was that you can spear hunt wild boar in PA. as far as deer, i've heard nothing. i don't know anything about the atlatl, though

Last year or the year before they were going to "try" allowing it but I never heard another word about it.

(York County)

The lastest thing I could find was this from April '06.

Adoption of proposed amendments to §§131.2 and 141.41
    -Amend §§131.2 and 141.41 (relating to definitions; and general) to define and implement the use of the atlatl and dart during any firearms deer season.
    §141.41. General.
    (a) Permitted acts. It is lawful to take:

(4) Deer with an atlatl and dart during any firearms season for deer.

April 18, 2006 from Carl Roe

This came straight from their minutes from April 18 2006 meeting. "The Executive Director and staff do not recommend final adoption of these amendments."

So with that said, you see where it is over two years later. I would not hold my breath guys.

I found that The Allegheny Valley Chapter Women in the Outdoors had a class on this back in April of this year.

But I would love to give it a go. -BB
    The war is coming to the streets of America and if you are not keeping and bearing and practicing with your arms then you will be helpless and you will be the victim of evil.
    -Ted Nugent

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    i've been trying to find out about this, because i wanted to try it. the only thing i found out was that you can spear hunt wild boar in PA. as far as deer, i've heard nothing. i don't know anything about the atlatl, though
    Straight from PGC;

Licensed hunters and trappers may participate in the taking of feral swine with a firearm, bow or crossbow, in counties where protection
    has been removed, and are encouraged to do so. Although there are many restrictions on the taking of feral swine, as
    a general rule, takings in conformance within the limitations of deer hunting are authorized. In order to avoid the appearance
    of impropriety while participating in the taking of feral swine, hunters and trappers should comply with whatever
    game regulations (licensing, blaze orange and other safety requirements) are in effect at the time.

Just want to keep ya legal. -BB
    The war is coming to the streets of America and if you are not keeping and bearing and practicing with your arms then you will be helpless and you will be the victim of evil.
    -Ted Nugent

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

I'd like to try one of those. They look awsome.

The concern is that inexperienced hunters with their spear-chuckers will make bad shots and wound deer. I don't think I'd use one of these on a deer without ALOT of practice.

But I really sould like to have one. It doesn't get much more primitive than that.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by P-11 shooter View Post
    I'd like to try one of those. They look awsome.

The concern is that inexperienced hunters with their spear-chuckers will make bad shots and wound deer. I don't think I'd use one of these on a deer without ALOT of practice.

But I really sould like to have one. It doesn't get much more primitive than that.

whatchoo call me, yo?

This sounds racist to me, Osama will ban it in 2009

(Fayette County)

Atlatl's are challenging but fun. I build my own bows an done day me and a bow making friend decided to build one and chuck it at his 3-D deer, lol. That thing really hit hard, once we figured out how to do it.
    "Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive." - Elbert Hubbard