Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Non-Resident CCW help please

I have a carry permit from NY (Sullivan County) and would like to get a non-resident CCW for PA.

I've been researching and reading and there is so much conflicting information out there (perhaps because the laws have changed over the years).

Can I get the non-res permit without applying and/or picking it up in person?

Can I get a non-res carry at all?

If I have to go in person, either to apply or pickup, where would be the closest and best in the Matamoras/Milford area?

Thank you.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Non-Resident CCW help please

First thing, you'll need a carry permit from NY, not just that one that lets you own a pistol. It sounds like you're near Pike County and I believe that they are friendly to the cause. Either look for their website or give the Sheriff's office a call and ask them what you need to do. You probably need to show up in person at some point and may be able to walk in and walk back out with your PA license to carry. The fee is $20 but if you go online, there is some outfit what will tag you with another $5 for processing fees if you go their route. I avoid those fees.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by josephny View Post
    I have a carry permit from NY (Sullivan County) and would like to get a non-resident CCW for PA.

I've been researching and reading and there is so much conflicting information out there (perhaps because the laws have changed over the years).

Can I get the non-res permit without applying and/or picking it up in person?

Can I get a non-res carry at all?

If I have to go in person, either to apply or pickup, where would be the closest and best in the Matamoras/Milford area?

Thank you.

You will need to go in person at least once, and a recent thread on this very topic
    indicated that a non-resident would have to go twice. Makes no sense to me.
    PA residents MUST apply at the Sheriff's Office for their county of residence.

You, as a non-resident, may apply at any of the 67 PA counties.
    Unfortunately, many Sheriffs believe they can operate outside of PA law and refuse
    to accept applications from out-of-state. You can fight it, or you can start searching
    for counties convenient to you. Navigate to the web page for that particular county's
    Sheriff, look to see what requirements are shown, or just call during their normal
    business hours.

Ideally your NY carry license is unrestricted, but I don't know for sure whether that matters.
    The least you will need is your state-issued photo ID, and your NY carry license.
    With that, yes, you can get a PA License To Carry Firearms (Pa LTCF).

Expect to pay $20, and it is good for 5 years. No training, qualifying, or fingerprinting
    is required.

My County, York, has an online application process, but I have recently heard (again)
    that non-residents must make application in person, then pick it up in person.
    This is not the law, so this hurdle may vary. You should at least be able to find,
    download, and print out the application form and fill it out before making a trip.
    Most of these application forms have the Sheriff/County showing at the top of the
    form. This should not matter as the application is uniform across the state, but you
    never know who you are dealing with, so find a friendly one first.

Once you have your PA LTCF, no matter which county issued it, it is good throughout
    the state of Pennsylvania, every county, every city.

Good luck! Welcome to PAFOA!
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

To the OP, if your CCW is full carry, *unrestricted* you can get your PA LTCF from Wayne Co Sheriff.

Go here: https://waynecountypa.gov/509/Licens...on-Application

Apply on line for $20 + $5 and you will only have to make one visit. They have been processing them pretty quickly, some even next day. Good luck.

(Jefferson County)

Since 2011 or 2012, you are technically required to appear in person to apply due to your picture needs to be taken with the system camera and your ID scanned. However, some counties have instituted an online or snail-mail application, but you still have to appear in person once approved. Before that 2011 or 2012 update, all could apply via snail-mail - not anymore(although, see above). Some that do offer the online/snail-mail charge an extra $5 "convenience fee" on top of the $20 statutory fee for the LTCF itself.

Not all counties issue to non-residents(in violation of state law). I'd scan this thread for suggestions for the northeast corner of PA. All the ones I've confirmed are mostly the western half of PA.

If/when you do apply, bring your NY drivers license, NY carry permit, $20 cash, parking meter coins, name/ph#/address of (2) references. Most sheriffs don't even bother contacting the references, but some will.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

My County, York, has an online application process, but I have recently heard (again)
    that non-residents must make application in person, then pick it up in person.
    Can confirm this is not correct for York County.

Non residents can do the online application. Takes 10 minutes to fill out (at the most)

Just helped my mother (out of state resident) do this last month. We did the application on the website. She picked up her permit in person without problems.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceballs View Post
    Can confirm this is not correct for York County.

Non residents can do the online application. Takes 10 minutes to fill out (at the most)

Just helped my mother (out of state resident) do this last month. We did the application on the website. She picked up her permit in person without problems.
    Thanks, good to know. I should have been more clear.
    Given that the OP was looking in specific areas I wanted to say that not all county sheriffs act the same.

I have only heard that Lancaster, York, and Adams will accept a non-res app, and beyond
    that I have very little additional information pertaining to non-residents.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

Pike county allows you to apply on line, then pick up in person.

I live in NYC and have ccw, what county can I apply for ccw in PA.
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by dlphx19@gmail.com View Post
    I live in NYC and have ccw, what county can I apply for ccw in PA.
    Thank you
    WAYNE CO, apply on line, $25, once approved, usually a days or so, you will have to go and pick it up. Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast