Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default 10 Gauge. Is it worth it?

i have always had this fascination with wanting a 10 gauge shotgun most cause i like the not so common guns and big bore, hard recoiling guns. I have been looking at 10 gauges again and i am wondering if it really makes sense to spend the money on one since i am not aware of any companies still making them and a limited source of ammo makers. would it just make more sense to looking into something else?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: 10 Gauge. Is it worth it?

Browning I believe still make 10ga shotguns (Gold semi and BPS pump).

I have two of them, kind of cousin designs. Ithaca Mag 10 32" and a Remington SP-10 23" Turkey Thumbhole stock. I do also have a MEC SizeMaster to load up shells if need be - it's been a while though.

The recoil is not as bad as people make it out to be, partially because the guns are so heavy (11 pounds). The weight also keeps your swing going, if you're doing wing shooting. The guns are very large - the Mag 10 fits in only 1 spot in my safe, with only about 2 inches to the ceiling.

If you're buying it to have it, I'd say go ahead. I think I paid something like 600 used for my Mag 10.

If you're buying it for practical purposes, meh. Could go either way.

For turkey, I find the weight of the gun obnoxious. It cuts off your circulation when you put it on your lap to call, and you better hit the gym often, if you're looking to keep the gun up while calling the bird in the last few yards. From a practical perspective, it's better to get a lighter gun (20ga or smaller) and use some of the newer TSS shot. Yes, it's expensive, but you're only shooting at a turkey once (hopefully), and the lighter weight makes it a joy to carry and keep shouldered.

For waterfowl (I don't hunt waterfowl, yet), a lot of the world has moved to 12ga 3.5" if the strategy is to throw a lot of steel downrange. 10ga still can pattern better, since you don't have as tall of a shot column. But again a lot of the gun and ammo world has advanced while the 10 hasn't moved quite as much.

I want a 10ga semi cut down like those (can't remember the name) shotguns, for home defense.
    FJB

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    I want a 10ga semi cut down like those (can't remember the name) shotguns, for home defense.
    Ithaca used to market a version of the Mag 10 to LEOs called the RoadBlocker.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by akley88 View Post
    i have always had this fascination with wanting a 10 gauge shotgun most cause i like the not so common guns and big bore, hard recoiling guns. I have been looking at 10 gauges again and i am wondering if it really makes sense to spend the money on one since i am not aware of any companies still making them and a limited source of ammo makers. would it just make more sense to looking into something else?
    If you want one, go for it. I have a New England single shot in 10 and it's fun at the range (especially with buck or slugs). The truth is a 3 1/2" 12 Guage will do just as well with something like turkey loads, but there's just something fun about the 10. I have both and treat the 10 as more of a range toy. The 835 is usually what I go with for hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by TooBigToFit View Post
    Ithaca used to market a version of the Mag 10 to LEOs called the RoadBlocker.
    HAHA the road blocker, Ive heard of something like that. Should have called it the street sweeper just for shits and giggles.
    FJB

(Blair County)

If your purpose is to have a large heavy shotgun then it's worth it. I have a NEF Topper with 32" of barrel and a 4x scope. A buddy borrowed it to hunt in Ohio some years ago and bought slugs. He is a smaller frame than me by a fair amount. He told me that he honestly didn't want to see a deer since his flinch was that bad after sighting the gun in. If you don't keep it in tight on your shoulder it lets you know for sure.

I'm also pretty sure that a 12 gauge 3 1/2" would do everything just as well. Well except being bigger.
    The resident Saiga snob
    "You will never leave Harlan alive..."

(Allegheny County)

Old photo I had lying around, but gives you an idea of what shell length and barrel length do to the OAL of the gun. From top to bottom...

Ithaca 37 12ga 3" - 28" barrel
    Benelli Super Black Eagle 2 12ga 3.5" - 28" barrel
    Remington SP10 10ga 3.5" - 23" barrel
    Ithaca Mag 10 10ga 3.5" - 32" barrel

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    I think you mean a Whippet (pronounced whip-it) gun

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    I think you mean a Whippet (pronounced whip-it) gun
    Shockwave (just remembered).
    FJB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast